Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish tank filter

Options
  • 22-04-2005 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

i've got a 4ft tank and i need to buy a filter there are so many different types. I've been told to stay away from undergravel filters does anyone have any tips. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

One of the best ones are ''fluval'' in tank filters. And you can also get fluval heaters, around 40 to 50 Euro.

http://www.petsparade.com/shop.asp?spcat=2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

You need a FLUVAL 4 filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes i agree, The fluval 4 is a really good filter and is very easy to clean.
    Have you thought about an external canister type filter?
    These are the best IMO and they dont take up space in your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

eheim are really good filters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭tom thumb

cheers for all the replies going to get the fluval 4, i thought about getting the external one but i'm caught for space
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Most makes of internal or external filter will do the job & I dont think there is much diffrence in any of them.
    Its the size of filter against the stocking capacity and the ammount you feed the fish, so you have to come up with a comprimise.
    There is no such thing as too Much filtration.There is too Little and this must be avoided.
    When buying a filter allways make sure that the diffrent types of filter media are available from the merchant.
    ALLways make sure that spare parts are available here in ireland, as there are many which are not. I will not name them because I let people make up their own minds.
    When the filter breaks down, you will want to get it up & running very fast to avoid disaster, and that cheap special offer will cost you dearly.
    If you have expensive fish, consider buying a small spare or get one from someone else who does not want it & make sure that it will work in emergencies. This ultimately will save your fish.
    Allways aeriate the tank/filter as this is just as important as the filter. It provides the oxygen for bacteria to grow & make the filter work.
    I dont know how many times I have seen a tank without one and the customer complaining that his filter does not work properly.
    Allways pay attention to the filter and make sure the water is flowing at the right rate. A filter powerhead will often go when the filter is blocked and the pump is pumping itself silly.
    Be a good fishkeeper and the filter you buy should last for five years at least.
    Trust this helps
    regards
    www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
    Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

Advertisement