Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyfermot

Options
  • 23-04-2005 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

im just wondering what people views are on ballyfermot as an area??its had a bit of name in the past is it justified?? would people recommend looking for property out there or is it an area to avoid
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

The side closer to palmerstown (drumfinn, etc) is okay, but the other side of the main road is a bit dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭GlennGeo

Drumfin is the worst part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not great

I'm up near the Chapelizod end. With a Chapelizod address technically but tbh, I call it Ballyfermot to any taxi driver or when giving directions.

Plagued with kids using the estate as a shortcut despite the walls covered in anti climb paint and gaps boarded up. Knacker drinking and shouting in the waste ground, the squad car arrives and scatters them and they're back 20 minutes later. Or they go knacker drinking down by the Liffey and come back later messing with wing mirrors and shouting.
    I don't mind a bit of shouting but it's hard to take when 90% of the trouble in your estate is caused by people who don't even live there!
    Well I used to use the shortcuts myself but I understand why they are blocked.

Lot of vandalism, a car were set on fire a few weeks back, 3rd fire since Christmas.
    I started a thread over in Emergency Services forum on it

I used to walk to the shops on Decies Rd but had glass bottles fired at me and abuse in the chippers when I'm completly sober and on my own. If walking to shops with gangs of lads outside bothers you, well not for you.
    Lots of ponies and traps around but they don't bother anyway so that's no problem.

I would think the Cherry Orchard end wouldn't be any better
    As with everything, most people are great but they are not as visible as the local scum. And I'm here nearly three years

There are worse areas in Dublin OP and there are far, far better areas and many nearby

On the plus side there are fantastic facilities, you can go jogging along the Liffey to the War Memorial Gardens. The WMG are one of my favourite places in Dublin, absolutely beautiful and go jogging in the morning and you're the only person there.
    There is basketball, GAA, soccer and a new leisure center. I think the library is closed down these days. Tesco Ballyfermot is not impressive and also not particularly clean compared to Tesco Clarehall but it has everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭GlennGeo

I live on Le Fanu and its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was there during the week and while the area isn't particularly, the worst I say in 2+ hours wandering about was a bunch of teenagers using stones as sliotars in the mini-soccer ground.

The library is in the (newish) civic centre opposite Clifden Road. http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/FindALibrary/Pages/ballyfermot_library.aspx

Longterm there is a plan for a Laus Line (line F) from Lucan to College Green, via the proposed station at Inchicore on the DART Underground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement