Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Xbox 360 pic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I think its around Christmas.
    You might wonder why is that power button so big? Well, because it will do much more than just indicate the console's power status...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

/me likes. Although I will buy Revolution if its out first. And yes Im basing that on absolutely nothing apart from Nintendos track history.

I dunno. I think Nintendo are pretty screwed in this console war. I seriously doubt they have the technology to challenge sony or microsoft. Look at the DS. Sure it's a nice handheld but it's clearly inferior to the psp. Nintendo used to be about inovation. Now they just constantly rehash old styles and come up with nothing new. They aren't the groundbreakers or technology leaders like they used to be. Another rehash of mario and zelda will only attract the same loyal Nintendo fans.

BloodBath

Unless Nintendo do something really special I cant see them doing any better than they did with the Gamecube.

The PS3, is going to be on top, no questions there. The 360 will be second again, but will probably do a lot better than the Xbox did. And where does that leave the Revolution? Last.

However, if the Revolution is cheaper than the 360 and PS3, and is backwards compatible I'll be getting it.

Just wondering, where pictures of the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube leaked on the net before they came out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

they look kind of rendered to me. If it is the new console then I think it looks very nice. It's also nice and small so it will appeal to the japanese gamers since the first xbox took up half a typical japanese house. I'll be getting one because Hironobu Sakaguchi will be developing exclusively for it. Still I'd love to see what the hell nintendo are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

That side shot looks like its says 40GB on the black part?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

BloodBath wrote:
    Look at the DS. ... [Nintendo] just constantly rehash old styles and come up with nothing new.

Am I the only one who's missing the logic in this post? Of all the console manufacturers I really fail to see how one could single out Nintendo as having a lack of innovation.
    That side shot looks like its says 40GB on the black part?

Yep, as far as I know the hard-drve is sold seperately (to cut costs) and that would likely be the place in which you insert it. The fact that the display shows the capacity is a good indicator that they'll be bringing out hard drives in a variety of sizes, or perhaps that they're simply going to allow you to slot in a standard IDE or SATA drive. I wouldn't bet on the latter though, as it may well scare off less technically minded users.
    Kazaanova wrote:
    However, if the Revolution is cheaper than the 360 and PS3, and is backwards compatible I'll be getting it.

Nintendo consoles are generally realeased at a cheaper price (or at least have been for the past generation or two), and they've already announced backwards compatibility.
    Kazaanova wrote:
    Just wondering, where pictures of the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube leaked on the net before they came out?

Nope, but then again each of them were unveiled in the standard E3-press-conference way of doing things, Microsoft is taking a different approach this time using MTV et al to try and spread the hype to the masses directly.
    It looks a bit like a Sky+ box that's been left out in the sun and melted a bit.

Just what I thought when I saw it (well, not about it melting in the sun specifically, but being a deformed Sky+ box), I just hope they don't rip off the whole circular-light-movey-thingy (that's a technical term, by the way) as well, that'd knock it just the wrong side of blatant plagarism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Have to say i like it. Must see it in the flesh. Looks pretty small too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I like the look of it tbh. Will wait a few months after release to see how it fairs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Retr0gamer wrote:
    they look kind of rendered to me. If it is the new console then I think it looks very nice. It's also nice and small so it will appeal to the japanese gamers since the first xbox took up half a typical japanese house. I'll be getting one because Hironobu Sakaguchi will be developing exclusively for it. Still I'd love to see what the hell nintendo are up to.

They are renders, of the actual xbox2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Some are renders, some are pictures.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to have my doubts about this. Diddnt it start on a GTA forum?

Where does the HD go?

xbox360_front.jpg

In that slot on the right hand side, or on the left hand side where it says "40 GB"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've been thinking about this for a while and can't figure out what the 40gb HDD is for. Its to big to be purely for Live content.

Mabye there going for the media centre idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

maybe theyre gonna have like a download games feature?
    (stupid idea, but its all i could think of)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

didn't they say that you will be able to download demos via live? demos are very big nowadays and most are in the 400-700 mb mark.

also i think it is hard to buy hds that are less than 40 gb now anyway.

They need at least 40GBs. If they're saying that pretty much every game will have downloadable content, they need to facilitate the people who have a lot of games and download content for each one. If they're gonna make downloadable content a BIG thing, they need a BIG HD.

Although, if they're making such a big deal out of downloadable content, why even sell 360's without HD's? Unless every 360 has a build in HD, and the better ones have external ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

BloodBath wrote:
    I dunno. I think Nintendo are pretty screwed in this console war. I seriously doubt they have the technology to challenge sony or microsoft. Look at the DS. Sure it's a nice handheld but it's clearly inferior to the psp. Nintendo used to be about inovation. Now they just constantly rehash old styles and come up with nothing new. They aren't the groundbreakers or technology leaders like they used to be. Another rehash of mario and zelda will only attract the same loyal Nintendo fans.

BloodBath

Are you seriously trying to say that there's nothing inovative about the DS? :rolleyes:

Perhaps you haven't seen the TOUCH screen. For me sony just love to take the nice safe option and thus fail to come up with anything that really challenges the way we play games (eye toy the only exception). I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with their (IMO) inferior controllers for their 3rd console. Ninty constantly challenge the market with new means of interacting with the consol. Conga's anyone? And their controllers have always been a step ahead of the pack because they aren't afraid of change. Who introduced the rumble pack? The analogue stick? The touch screen?

And now for something completely different.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Kazaanova wrote:

Where does the HD go?

In that slot on the right hand side, or on the left hand side where it says "40 GB"?

Clips on the end AFAIK:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000913041045/

6707250847203561.JPG
    That is a real pic. What you see is the hard drive mounted on the end of the Xbox 360. Remember it stands up right, this is the top, when standing up right. The picture is shot from the same angle as if you were reading the side of a cereal box but looking at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It looks a bit like a Sky+ box

First thing I thought when I saw it.
    Far more aesthetically pleasing than the Xbox anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

All it needs is go-faster stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I've been thinking about this for a while and can't figure out what the 40gb HDD is for. Its to big to be purely for Live content.

Mabye there going for the media centre idea.

40Gig is nothing. It's piddle.

There was an 8-10Gig hdd in the XBox, save games, cached game data and MP3s etc. was kept on it. Optical media is only so fast, some larger games will benefit from having a nice chunk of disk space onto which to dump data during play. The game disc will probably be regularly accessed in the background, copying data to the hard-drive for upcoming scenes, levels etc. to speed loading.

And as mentioned above, downloadable content is going to feature majorly in this generation of consoles.

• Advertisement

Kazaanova wrote:
    GB"?

No, it started somewhere else, and I posted it here straight away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

An optional hard drive is stupid. imo consoles either have it or they dont.

See sony's ps2 hard drive and the N64's 4mb of extra ram for spectacular 'sucesses' of console upgradeability.

Also whats wrong with the PS2 controllers....best controllers IMO!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Peteee wrote:
    An optional hard drive is stupid. imo consoles either have it or they dont.

See sony's ps2 hard drive and the N64's 4mb of extra ram for spectacular 'sucesses' of console upgradeability.

Also whats wrong with the PS2 controllers....best controllers IMO!

well it's looking more and more likely that xbox360 will have it, and won't.
    If they do release two models I'd be going for the higher end one, but only for the backwards compatibility (if that is true).
    If there is to be a basic model minus the HD and backwards compatibility I'd say the price will be pretty nifty (for a new next gen console), I imagine they'd be trying to pick up non-xbox1 customers with it, so the backwards compatibility wouldnt be as much of an issue. You can bet that every single new technique Microsoft employ for this console will be more about stealing markets from Sony and Nintendo than innovation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

...minus the HD and backwards compatibility... and minus WebTV, and minus the kitchen sink.

"Console upgradeability" should be fine when - as apparently planned - the majority of the console to be released are the higher-end version, and when the low-end consoles are aimed at people who don’t want/need the extra features and the higher price tag.

Am I the only one who's missing the logic in this post? Of all the console manufacturers I really fail to see how one could single out Nintendo as having a lack of innovation.
    Perhaps you haven't seen the TOUCH screen. For me sony just love to take the nice safe option and thus fail to come up with anything that really challenges the way we play games (eye toy the only exception). I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with their (IMO) inferior controllers for their 3rd console. Ninty constantly challenge the market with new means of interacting with the consol. Conga's anyone? And their controllers have always been a step ahead of the pack because they aren't afraid of change. Who introduced the rumble pack? The analogue stick? The touch screen?

I'm talking about now in todays world. Not years ago. Yes, the nes, snes, gameboy and n64 were great with a lot of innovation but what innovation have they had since? Those consoles had the innovation and were technically superior to their rivals apart from the retarded decission of using cardridges on the n64. It's the other manufacturers that have been providing inovation since then. Touch sensitive buttons, hard-drives, online play, dvd ect while Nintendo continues to live in the past. Now the next gen of consoles have some amazing specs. Sony with their cell processors and blue-ray discs and microsoft with their multi-core processors. Nintendo don't have something to rival this technically and judging from the last few gens they won't have the software to rival it apart from their own in house stuff. How useful is touchscreen on the DS tbh? The psp is a much more powerful handheld and a hell of a lot more practical and attractive than the DS with a lot more features. Dual screens belong in the 80's, Nintendo aren't inventing anymore, they are rehashing old ideas. That's just my opinion. I liked Nintendo for years but lately I really think they have lost the plot.

BloodBath

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BloodBath wrote:
    I'm talking about now in todays world. Not years ago. Yes, the nes, snes, gameboy and n64 were great with a lot of innovation but what innovation have they had since? Those consoles had the innovation and were technically superior to their rivals apart from the retarded decission of using cardridges on the n64. It's the other manufacturers that have been providing inovation since then. Touch sensitive buttons, hard-drives, online play, dvd ect while Nintendo continues to live in the past. Now the next gen of consoles have some amazing specs. Sony with their cell processors and blue-ray discs and microsoft with their multi-core processors. Nintendo don't have something to rival this technically and judging from the last few gens they won't have the software to rival it apart from their own in house stuff. How useful is touchscreen on the DS tbh? The psp is a much more powerful handheld and a hell of a lot more practical and attractive than the DS with a lot more features. Dual screens belong in the 80's, Nintendo aren't inventing anymore, they are rehashing old ideas. That's just my opinion. I liked Nintendo for years but lately I really think they have lost the plot.

BloodBath

What has this got to do with the renders of the xbox360? This is really more suitable for another thread, and at that there's already been about 200 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Yummy!

I might actually end my console boycott and buy one.

The tech specs I read a few weeks back sounded impressive. Any idea if it will be possible to hook it up to an LCD via DVI? Would be nice to sit it beside my computer rather than hogging the TV.

3737115.jpg

Memory card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Giblet wrote:
    Memory card.

Only 64Mb? And that size? And proprietory?
    Hmmm I would have expected in this day and age for the console to support up-to-date memory cards, not something that size and with that much memory, it's barely a step up from the previous generation at all. As it's widely expected the PS3 will support Memory Stick Duo(you know, up to 1Gb+ and sizes of 128-256 being relatively cheap now, aswell as being a tiny size and transferrable to other (Sony) electronic products), that the X-Box would have SD memory cards or something like that and take advantage of a more universal format.

Edit:
    Was thinking this might only be a backwards compatibility thing, I don't know what the memory units on the old x-box were like...

• Advertisement

Maybe there's different size cards for your need and pocket. You won't have as much use for a memory card with a hard-drive anyway.

BloodBath

Advertisement