Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Xbox 360 pic?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Maybe its more of a portable thing, you know? But then again, isnt the HD supposed to be portable? This isnt adding up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Cool article here:
    http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35512&subsectionid=1586
    Apparently, as well as removable media for saving games, gamers will be able to save games onto their home computers via LAN networks.

I've just been hit by a wave of awesomeness. If you can connect your 360 to your PC to keep games there, maybe they'll let you do the same with Live content. Although I'm not sure if that would make things go slower or what? Anyway the 360 is shaping up very nicely.
    Network with PC
    Wireless controllers.
    Looks amazing.
    Skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I just hope they include a wireless NIC in the Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope you don't need memory cards to save games. I curse Sony for inventing these devices of evil. A rip off price for **** all flash memory and inefficient storage. I mean FFVII took 8kb of memory to save on the PS1 why does a silly action game like Zone of Enders 2 take nearly 250kb. I wish console manufacturers would follow suit with the xbox and saturn with built in storage capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Well, the memory cards actually being on the machine and the rumours about their being 2 versions for sale (with harddrive and without) would suggest you'd need a memory card to save unless you had a hd model. Maybe they'll bundle a free one in the box with it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

So whos gonna purchase a 360 from the day its launched? Im personally gonna give it a few months (if I can resist temptation) and see how it performs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

steviec wrote:
    Only 64Mb? And that size? And proprietory?
    Hmmm I would have expected in this day and age for the console to support up-to-date memory cards, not something that size and with that much memory, it's barely a step up from the previous generation at all. As it's widely expected the PS3 will support Memory Stick Duo(you know, up to 1Gb+ and sizes of 128-256 being relatively cheap now, aswell as being a tiny size and transferrable to other (Sony) electronic products), that the X-Box would have SD memory cards or something like that and take advantage of a more universal format.

Edit:
    Was thinking this might only be a backwards compatibility thing, I don't know what the memory units on the old x-box were like...

Well for me the memory cards shouldnt be an issue because if I do get the 360 it is likely to be the high end model.
    Anyway, 64mb is a decent enough size for game saves (well, that depends I suppose), and who knows what price they'll go for (but they're likely to cost around €30). The thing about Microsoft is that while they're known for their software, the Xbox is the only hardware they make (I think). Sony make consoles, cameras, tvs, dvd players, videos, even PC's, so convergence is even easier, especially as they tend to invent a new format every year or two. Microsoft have always tried to avoid the xbox being seen as a PC (likely to be one of the reasons for a lack of USB port in xb1 and the lack of keyboard and mouse etc). The next generation will see more hardware convergence across the formats (even with nintendo who are probably going to push the DS/Revolution link more than they have the GBA/GC link). Microsoft are going to have to push with what they know so I can imagine them making more PC links, like networking, but flash cards and the like aren't their thing, they have no own-brand card to converge with... sony do. If you can make game saves on your PC then fúck the flash card and fúck the hard drive!!! now that's convergence!

Advertisement