Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 3341 :Setting up a network ?

Options
  • 23-04-2005 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Oh God , probably gonna get shot , hung drawn and quartered for this one , plus banned from every forums for eternity , but here goes anyways .
    Right I did the "searchy" thingy and the more I read the more confused I got . When I had the idea in my head I though it would be easy enough to find , maybe in FAQ , but ended up being confused there aswell .Then one of the posts that popped up in the search had a guy saying " heh , why not state exactly what u got and maybe someone will post exactly what to do " , so , here I am chancing my arm .

Up until this morning I had two pc's networked together and me and my son used to play games against each other , plus I would swap over files and such between both . This morning I bought a netopia modem 3341 from someone here on Boards and used the ethernet option for connection ( I play alot online and want the more stable ping it seems to bring), so my network is now gone .

My specs are 2 pc's both running XP pro sp1 , 1 Netopia cayman 3341 , and 1 Prime Dual 16-port 10/100 hub pd-1016r .

My question : Is it possible to connect the Modem to the hub , then both the pc's to same and have a network , with both pc's having access to each other and the internet ? . If not , considering that I have to change some setting ie:Ip address , can I just plug out the modem and plug my pc back onto the hub for transferring files ? or do I have to change the IP address back to what it was ?

If you choose to answer this question , then remember that you will have to dumb it down .

John .

ps: try to answer this before the Mods get to me , huh ? whats that ? , someone knocking at the door ?.............wtf , my god there are a few of them ...got...to....fight them offf......arrrrraaaaaaghhhh...............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hi,

I assume that, before the modem, you had manually assigned IPs for the two PCs, and they were plugged into the hub with normal network cables. How were you connected to the Internet?

First thing you need to do with the Netopia is to reset it to factory settings, as the previous owner might have changed the settings.

Then you can plug the Netopia into your hub, using the network cable that came with it. The yellow cable, if I remember correctly.
    Now, change your computers to use automatically assigned IPs (see note below), and Bob's your uncle.

NOTE: Go to Network Connections, right-click your LAN connection (probably named "Local Area Connection", or such), in the list with the title "This connection uses the following items" search for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", click it, then click properties. A new window will show up, where you can click on "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

Good luck,
    JP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

For what its worth, (and I know this is not directly answering your question but it might be an option for you.) ... Its very easy to connect two PCs to your Netopia one via USB and one via Ethernet and have them both use the internet and be networked to each other.

In fact its so easy that even I was able to do it! If you want more details let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

yea you can its real easy, you can even get rid of your hub and use the netopia although you will be reduced to 10mb instead of 100.

Just set each pc with a different ip. 192.168.1.1 and the next 192.168.1.2, give them the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.254. Its that simple, just plug the netopia and the 2 pc's into the hub and it will all work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

JoyPad wrote:
    Hi,

I assume that, before the modem, you had manually assigned IPs for the two PCs, and they were plugged into the hub with normal network cables. How were you connected to the Internet?

you assume correct . and I was connected to the inet via zyxel 630 usb modem from UTV .
    JoyPad wrote:
    First thing you need to do with the Netopia is to reset it to factory settings, as the previous owner might have changed the settings.

This is one of the things that was confusing me as , when I recieved the modem and followed all the procedures setout on the disk and manual it didn't install correctly so I had to do it manually ( no probs there it worked fine ). Do I have to redo all the connecting up stuff or does resetting it leave it setup correctly ?
    For what its worth, (and I know this is not directly answering your question but it might be an option for you.) ... Its very easy to connect two PCs to your Netopia one via USB and one via Ethernet and have them both use the internet and be networked to each other.

Thanks for the suggestion , but I was trying to avoid using the usb completely as I believe that ethernet is the way to go for online games .

Thanks for all the replies guys , knew I could count on ye ...I faired out ok last night , took a bit of a beating from those mods that showed up at the door , but nothing a team of surgeons couldn't put right given the time and some expertise from nasa . Man , that Trojan is one tough cookie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

jonski wrote:
    Do I have to redo all the connecting up stuff or does resetting it leave it setup correctly ?
    After the reset and setting the computers to pick IP addresses off the DHCP server (which will be turned on by the reset), you will be able to configure the modem. An important part of the configuration should be for your BB connection (setting all the parameters as specified by UTV for your other modem). To open the configuration page, open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

• Advertisement
Advertisement