Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB to ethernet - big problems.

• 23-04-2005 9:21am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got myself an ethernet card in pcworld yesterday for my DSL as some guys told me ethenet is better than usb,others said no difference.
    Apparently the usb uses cpu cycles and ethernet doesnt?
    Anyways i bought this Belkin ethernet card 25yoyos ,everything installed fine but lastnight i kept loosing connection.
    This never happened once on usb,it happened again this morning.
    Ive tries all the pci slots on my mobo and same problem.
    Anything i need to know?knowing pcworld its prob a crap card?
    Im back on usb now as i couldnt even hook up a connection with ethernet .
    Im on eircom bb plus with netopia modem or router whatever it is.
    Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bump

Anyone please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

waht make/model of card did you buy?
    technically what they told you is correct about the ethernet vs usb.

are you using the ethernet cable eircom suppplly?
    do you have another pc to try it in?
    do you have another ethernet cable to try?
    can you try it direct to another pc via a crossover ehternet cable?

does the card work corrrectly in the pc? - does it stay installed? etc

The card is a Belkin 10/100bt ethernet 32 bit pci card.
    Dont have an other pc or cable to try.
    Yep using cable eircom supplied.
    Cant say for sure if its staying installed.
    I just got connection lost error and then ethernet cable unplugged error but it wasnt unplugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

Dcully wrote:
    Bump

Anyone please.
    I had a similar problem.Using modem supplied by Eircom I could connect with usb but not with Ethernet.Eventually got an engineer friend to look at it.The modem was faulty.He uses them every day and had never come across that fault in them before.It nearly drove me nuts as I thought I was doing something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My cousin got Eircom BB recently and we couldn't get the ethernet option to work at all. I eventually gave up and used the USB connection which worked fine. Perhaps it is a faulty modem too.

I know this doesn't really help, except to let you know you're not the only one having issues with this modem on ethernet. Maybe contact Eircom and let them know it's faulty and get a replacement?

• Advertisement

Cheers guys.
    I thought i had it sorted,she went fine for bout 3 hours today on ethernet then lost connection again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Dcully wrote:
    Cheers guys.
    I thought i had it sorted,she went fine for bout 3 hours today on ethernet then lost connection again :(

Experiment with the speed of the connection .. remember the bottleneck is your DSL so you can change the ethernet connection down to 10MB without affecting performance. There can be issues ( although not very often ) with auto negotiating of the speed between the router and your NIC.

Click configure on the LAN card in your LAN connection. Advancd tab - media type and then change the value from Auto to 100MB full duplex then 100MB half duplex.. then 10 full then as a last resort 10 half..

see how you get on.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm with iol, but i had a similar problem when i first got it. the connection was still there, but i wasn't getting any data throughput at all and everything ground to a halt.

complained to iol support and told them everything i'd tried to the point where the phone monkey's head was spinning and he was totally lost, but he passed it up the chain, and it stopped happening about a weeks later.

mine was happening on usb and ethernet though, so i don't know if it's the same thing.

coiuld well be a faulty ethernet port though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Gonna tag this on to the end of this thread as it might be relevent . Pretty much the same as above . I had a zyxel modem from utv and last week I bought a netopia 3341 here on boards , it wouldn't install on auto so I did it manually . Worked no problem , turn on pc , click firefox shortcut and I'm connected , no clicking on any shortcut , it's always on ....except every now and the I get a popup box asking me to reconnect .....I presume this isn't right as I haven't read about it anywhere else .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

This is the reconnect widow .

• Advertisement
Advertisement