Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Enteprrise, Season 4, Episode 18: In a Mirror Darkly

Options
  • 23-04-2005 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Very Nice epidoe like the new intro allot.
    This was everything o hoped it to be i know there saving there budget for a battle in the next episode.

This was everything o hoped it to be i love the mirror univerce episode so much i have them all on tape from years ago. cant wait for this second part

did u see all the crap they have on sgtar trek.com for this episode ? they rleased about 50 different styles of cloating for this episode mirror univerce enterprise uniforms and mouse mats mugs and shight like that they reley went mad on the ol merchendising

I remember from shatners books was a key unknown event around the ime of first contact it was for 2 reasons mainley because humans went out into the galaxy with a fear of a great threat (borg)

9/10 (hopeing the 2nd episode gets 10/10

Rate This Episode 21 votes

Amazing
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    66% 14 votes
    Ok
    19% 4 votes
    Bad
    9% 2 votes
    You Wasted 44 Mins Of My Life And I Want Them Back
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Amazing episode. I can't wait for part two. The anti Enterprise people should take a look at this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've actually seen an episode of Enterprise I liked :eek:

The intro/title sequence was very good, and I remember that bit from Shatner's books alright..looking forward to part 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Sweet mother magulagug that was good!`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i was a bit sleepy when i watched it, i was lost during the intro, i had no idea what was going on, it was a few seconds after the intro finished before i realised "aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! mirror universe!", really good episode.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pretty good, liked the dark universe spin, looks like they've finally started listening to the fans.

bit dumb that with all the changes in the 'dark' galaxy that they all made it onto the ship, especially T'Pol. talk about stretchin it a bit thin (even for sci-fi).

altogether I'd give it a 7 though, although I suspect it'll be nearer an 8.5 when part two airs next week.

they're obviously giving it their all with their necks on the block and it's definately sowing, but who know's whether it'll be enough or not. might well be too late in the game for pulling it off.

Still, it was a good episode, and I'll be on the lookout for part 2 as soon as it comes out. I have a reminder set to go and grab it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i stared it up then paused it at the first second that clowed and i just said first contact, morror univerce i knew staight away ive seen this episode 3 tiomes ive got friends down who hate ST and ppl who think its ok and they all loveed this episode and those that used to say they hate ST now want me to show theem more good episodes?

any suggestions im thinkin enterpise season 3 twilight and also anzati prime
    the war of the warrior for ds9
    year of hell for voyager
    and for TNG i dont know thinkin yesterdays enteprise thats my personal faverate and i cant remmebr any other amazing tng eps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Jesus Christ that was amazing :eek: i want to be a evil starship captain the perks of the job are pretty good if you can avoid the torture ;).The intro / alternate first contact was just class however i think they should of updated the defiant abit i know i might be hounded for suggesting that and god bless the producers but 1960s design just looks stupid compeered to modern with the lack of hull detail and the internal sets just looks wrong compeered to ultra modern Enterprise however the conny as always is one of the best ship designs in star trek history but it just needed a bit of a re-dress for modren times.

Also i dont understand how humans could defeat the vulcans unless they where REALLY peaceful in that univirse what with their technology being vastly more advanced and their people being 4 times the strenght of a human if anything it should be the vulcans leading the empire.The Tholian seem to be a real threat to the empire and the producers finaly made the Tholian web makes some sense as a weapon poor old enterprise :eek:

10/10

what ever happened to the tholians and the breen after the dominion watr is whati want to know.

Humans leading gthe vulcans is a bit strange but mabe the vulcans wherre simply dazzled by human brutality and overwelmed.

I liked porthos very nice little bit, ive seen this episode 2 many times aready....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Kool as tbh, very well done..best ep ever, tepal and hoshi looking v. well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It has to be said, that kicked ass.

An Enterprise Mirror Universe spin-off would be cool.

• Advertisement

the morei tihnk about this episode the morei think that they shouldent have destroyed the enterpise and killed off the crew was nice to have evil flox and we wont have a agony booth anymore so how is archer going to force t`pol into submission

User45701 wrote:
    the morei tihnk about this episode the morei think that they shouldent have destroyed the enterpise and killed off the crew was nice to have evil flox and we wont have a agony booth anymore so how is archer going to force t`pol into submission

Death by Schnu-Schnu? (oops..wrong series! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd highly reccommend fans download the commentary from www.startrek.com for this episode. Great stuff. Can't wait until Friday night / Saturday morning for part 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Pretty decent episode. I kept expecting the 'real' universe Enterprise crew to materialise at one stage. Seems this two-parter will now be fully set with the mirror universe crew.

The Defiant turning up was pretty cool, considering how the original series episode, "The Tholian Web" went. That said, it has the downside of slightly ruining part of Part II, as we know what happened ultimately to the Defiant from when Kirk and Co found it in the 60s episode. Also, the Tholian's web technology seems MORE advanced in this episode than it was in Kirk's time 100 years later! (OK, I know this universe ran a different course, so it's likely they advance and developed technology at a pace which wasn't the same as in the 'real' universe.)

Liked the redone First Contact scene and I also really liked the redone opening titles.
    (James Cromwell should've been credited as a Guest Star really, even though he didn't speak any lines - maybe he was on the end credits which UPN do themselves and are cropped off downloaded files.)

Overall, a fine episode. Someone mentioned above the show was finally giving fans what they wanted. Saddest part is that yes, they are, but too late. I wish the show wasn't in this final half of the season showing what it could've been like all along. And that there won't be any more makes seeing a good episode all the tougher. :(

Praetorian wrote:
    I'd highly reccommend fans download the commentary from www.startrek.com for this episode. Great stuff. Can't wait until Friday night / Saturday morning for part 2 :)

Cheers for this - just finished listening to the Podcast. Hope they do more of these. Very cool add-ons to the show. They've been doing this with Battlestar Galactica over on sci-fi.com this season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sorry for my ignorance i havnt followed enterprise uptill now but i am a fan of the mirror episodes in DS9.

just 2 quick questions?

1. i thought one couldnt fire while cloaked?

2. i thought mirror universe didnt have cloaks (according to an episode in season 7 ds9)

just a minor confusion. Apart from that. Great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    sorry for my ignorance i havnt followed enterprise uptill now but i am a fan of the mirror episodes in DS9.

just 2 quick questions?

1. i thought one couldnt fire while cloaked?

2. i thought mirror universe didnt have cloaks (according to an episode in season 7 ds9)

just a minor confusion. Apart from that. Great episode.

1. It doesn’t matter they can do what ever they want in the mirror universe just watch and enjoy it
    2. Ignore that tbh as far as i remember an earlier episode of ds9 involving the mirror universe showed ships cloaking and de cloaking

the mirror univerce and our univerce where the exact same up until apriel 5th 2064 when the borg travled back in time to destroy earth this caused a 2nd timeline to break off and humans in the 2nd earer where ferfull of aliens which resulted in what we see in at the start of ent.

as for cloaking tech it wasent federation tech it was a sulibon claock that was adopted for the entperise and then destroyed so it didnt exeatly go into mass production

in DS9 when sisko and smiley are caputed by 2 klingon ships and a cardassian ship all 3 of them are equiped with cloaks but 2 years later in the episode the emperors new clok they said that the mirror univerce dodnt have cloaking tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have pretty much been an avid Enterprise ney sayer untill the later episodes of season 4. TBH episodes like divergence are brilliant as they finally lift the lid on the whole klingon thing. I've been waiting for 'In a mirror, darkly' since about january when it was first accounced. It's a pity I had to move home and lost my internet connection but luckily a friend of mine downloaded it for me on saturday so all is well. I was literally sitting there eating my Dinner watching it.... which suffice it to say ended up just being left there to turn cold as i was so enthralled in the episode.

A really really good episode in my opinion, especially in the last few seconds when they actually get onto the ship. I was hoping tho, as Bizmark said, that they would have sexed up the constitution class's innards and hull a bit tho to kind of fit in more with the enterprise's advanced technology. I mean Captain Forest is on the **** all these high tech plasma screens around him and stuff and then it cuts to TOS constitution style bridge with blinky lights and pictures that are meant to be screens. Didn't really sit well but other than that great episode, can't wait for part 2.

Enterprise is really starting to pick up now, but I guess they're just trying their hardest with scripts now because they know it's been cancelled. So has anyone read any of the spoilers on www.startrek.com about the season finalé involving
    Riker and Troi?
    . Seems like a good idea, although
    Why they'd have it set on the Enterprise D is beyond me... why not just show us the more modern Enterprise E again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

doh.ie wrote:
    The Defiant turning up was pretty cool, considering how the original series episode, "The Tholian Web" went. That said, it has the downside of slightly ruining part of Part II, as we know what happened ultimately to the Defiant from when Kirk and Co found it in the 60s episode.

What happened here? Don't remember ever seeing that episode of TOS.

• Advertisement

Check out imdb or the likes for the TOS episode "The Tholian Web"

User45701 wrote:
    the mirror univerce and our univerce where the exact same up until apriel 5th 2064 when the borg travled back in time to destroy earth this caused a 2nd timeline to break off and humans in the 2nd earer where ferfull of aliens which resulted in what we see in at the start of ent.

Is this established in an episode (and therefore canon), or is it a fan theory? (It's a damn good one if it is...) It's just that I don't remember this being spoken about on screen. Was it in one of the DS9 mirror universe episodes? I may need to go back and rewatch those.

Goodshape wrote:
    What happened here? Don't remember ever seeing that episode of TOS.

Details at: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68788.html

Well worth a watch; one of the better TOS episodes.

Not that you'd need to to get "In A Mirror Darkly, Part II", but I reckon the reason the Defiant turned up with no lifesigns and is in such dodgy shape stability-wise, is because of what will ultimately happen in the mirror universe episode. And, of course, the Tholians were involved on both occasions. Clever stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

confused? how does the tholian web episode reveal what happens to the defiant? cause it isnt revelaed in the original what happened to the defiant and now we know where it is and will see what will happen to it? the way i look at it is that the original episode is how the ship was captured and this is how it A) is destroyed B) brought to the terren empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

doh.ie wrote:
    Is this established in an episode (and therefore canon), or is it a fan theory? (It's a damn good one if it is...)
    Sounds like fan theory to me. The problem I see with it is that it doesn't fit the terran empire histroy shown in opening credits, where a terran empire flag is planted during the moon landing. If the empire was around since the 60's then that would go some way towards explaining how they conquered the vulcans. With a single military organisation ruling the entire world they probably would have made a lot of advancements in terms of weapons and defensive technologies.

It was a theory put forward in one of William Shatner's "Return" (of Kirk) books - can't remember which one - but given the opening sequence of this episode it seems that some of the writers have read it too.

It would fit in if you just presume that after the establishment of the Empire post First Contact, they reclaimed the moon as well - the spacesuit the astronaut has on seems more advanced than they had in the 60s too which would support this :)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    confused? how does the tholian web episode reveal what happens to the defiant? cause it isnt revelaed in the original what happened to the defiant and now we know where it is and will see what will happen to it? the way i look at it is that the original episode is how the ship was captured and this is how it A) is destroyed B) brought to the terren empire.

Well, because we never found out what happened to it, you could look at it two ways. "The Tholian Web" either takes place before the Defiant is captured by the Tholians in "In A Mirror, Darkly" or it takes place AFTER it has been *returned* to the future timeline. I admit that isn't clear just yet and it's more likely it wasn't returned. However, in both instances, the crew are out of action, and if it's returned after "In A Mirror, Darkly", then there could still be no contamination from the Empire's timeline.

However, it's equally likely that it is destroyed in the past alternate timeline (in "In A Mirror, Darkly, Part II") and that what we were seeing in "The Tholian Web" was the beginning of the Defiant phasing out of Kirk's timeline and into the past alternate one. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it all stick,
    but the two episodes are definitely connected.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    It was a theory put forward in one of William Shatner's "Return" (of Kirk) books - can't remember which one - but given the opening sequence of this episode it seems that some of the writers have read it too.

It would fit in if you just presume that after the establishment of the Empire post First Contact, they reclaimed the moon as well - the spacesuit the astronaut has on seems more advanced than they had in the 60s too which would support this :)

Cool - thanks for this. Makes sense. Not official, then, but nothing in an episode or movie contradicts it. I agree, it's likely the Empire as we saw it in "In A Mirror, Darkly" grew up out of the post-First Contact Vulcan encounter and up until then most events ran a similar course. The fan/book theory holds up why Cochrane and the other inhabitants of Earth at the time were so xenophobic when it came to alien species, despite Poor Vulcan Guy's "Peace and Long Life" salute!

I also remember a few line in ENT's Borg episode "Regeneration", where Archer mentions a speech Cochrane made years after First Contact about his encounter with the Borg.

In the original timeline he later retracts it I think Archer says, but I guess in the Mirror universe its used as the basis for the formation of the Terran Empire

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I also remember a few line in ENT's Borg episode "Regeneration", where Archer mentions a speech Cochrane made years after First Contact about his encounter with the Borg.

In the original timeline he later retracts it I think Archer says, but I guess in the Mirror universe its used as the basis for the formation of the Terran Empire

Well erm, to be honest I can't see how that would have happened in the Mirror Universe. We've seen no evidence so far that there was a Mirror Universe Enterprise-E, and even if there were I doubt they'd care enough to go back in time to help Cochraine defeat the borg. I don't think the empire has had to deal with the borg.... yet. Or possibly not at all, seeing as if the whole time travel thing hadn't happened then going by 'Regeneration' the borg never would have been able to send a signal to the Delta Quadrent more than 100 years after 1st contact.

Advertisement