Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of getting an MX5 or MG F.....BUT....

Options
  • 23-04-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

I am told that these are "women's" cars!!! :mad:

I am about to buy me first car. I am 28 yr old male and I haven't a clue about cars other than that they have 4 wheels!!!

There isn't alot of cars that catch my eye apart from maybe an Audi A4.

However, I spotted a couple Mazda MX5's and MG F's that look ok. But I am told that these are cars for the ladies and not for men!!!! :O

Is this the case?? or am I just listening to sexist folk!! Although, one of the people who told me this was a woman!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

get the Mazda. great car!!! they hold their value and give very little trouble. get insurance quotes first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

greglo23 wrote:
    get the Mazda. great car!!! they hold their value and give very little trouble. get insurance quotes first though.

I got a very good quote on a 1.8 MGF from Hibernian. 1365 Fully Comp (online)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

py2006 wrote:
    I am told that these are "women's" cars!!! :mad:
    Absolute nonsense propagated by people who've never driven one!
    However, I spotted a couple Mazda MX5's and MG F's that look ok. But I am told that these are cars for the ladies and not for men!!!! :O

Is this the case?? or am I just listening to sexist folk!! Although, one of the people who told me this was a woman!!
    I've driven an MGF on a test drive while I had my MX-5. I found the driving position awkward, with the steering wheel in my lap, and a huge height difference between the accelerator and the brake. I had to physically lift my foot off the throttle causing my knee to bang on the bottom of the steering wheel every time I wanted to brake! Awful car!

And then I got back in the MX-5 to drive back afterwards ... what a relief! Don't listen to all the "hairdressers car" comments ... they don't know what they're talking about.

Alun wrote:
    Absolute nonsense propagated by people who've never driven one!

I've driven an MGF on a test drive while I had my MX-5. I found the driving position awkward, with the steering wheel in my lap, and a huge height difference between the accelerator and the brake. I had to physically lift my foot off the throttle causing my knee to bang on the bottom of the steering wheel every time I wanted to brake! Awful car!

And then I got back in the MX-5 to drive back afterwards ... what a relief! Don't listen to all the "hairdressers car" comments ... they don't know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the info! I must go out and test drive one myself. Are you a tall person by any chance? Could that be why you had the problem with your knee etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I would recommend a Toyota MR2 roadster (and not because I just bought mine yesterday!). Better looks, more reliable and better performance than the other two, IMO. And about the same price second-hand.

Only major drawback: virtually no storage space. There are small lockers behind the seats and a small compartment under the bonnet (mostly filled with the spare tire). But if you can live with that, you will not regret buying this car.

Here's a review that compares them all:

http://www.mr2-photos.co.uk/review_evo01.htm

At the end of it, there's a review that compares the MR2 (favourably) to the Lotus Elise and the Porsche Boxster.

By the way: I'm 6 foot 2. I'd never fit in an MX5 but the MR2 is fine.

• Advertisement

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I would recommend a Toyota MR2 roadster (and not because I just bought mine yesterday!). Better looks, more reliable and better performance than the other two, IMO. And about the same price second-hand.

Only major drawback: virtually no storage space. There are small lockers behind the seats and a small compartment under the bonnet (mostly filled with the spare tire). But if you can live with that, you will not regret buying this car.

At the end of it, there's a review that compares the MR2 (favourably) to the Lotus Elise and the Porsche Boxster.

That looks pretty nice actually, must look into them. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it and the spec etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Ernie Ball wrote:

i'm 6'2 aswell and never had any trouble fitting into the MX5 great car just make sure you go for the 1.8l rather than the 1.6l, the MGF is a horrid car, in so far as they are not bad to look at but the reliability is shocking and the build quality is typical roveresque, so the MX5 wins hands down, good luck :D

Yea forgot the Rover connection to MG :eek:

I like the MX5 alright, but I do fear the "Oh my god, your driving a womans car" syndrome!!

Although, doubt it would put me off in the end.

Them Toyota MR2 Roadsters look pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Just having checked on CBG, I guess the MR2 is somewhat more expensive on the second-hand market than the MX5 or the MGF. But I think it's worth it.

I paid €20,000 for a 2001 with 15,000 (legitimate says the mechanic who checked it out) miles on the clock and a hard top. It hasn't been driven very much at all and that and the hard top are why the price is slightly higher than average. The hard top alone is a €1,700 option.

No AC and with the 5-speed manual (you can also get a semi-automatic SMT 6-speed).

As for the specs, you'll find them in that review I pointed you to. 1.8 litre 140bhp VVTi engine (same as in Celicas) in a car that weighs less than a tonne. 0-60 in a bit over 7 seconds. 4-wheel disc brakes, alloys, stereo (CD and cassette, but it's the stock kit and it sounds like sh!t frankly). The handling on this car is the business, though. Rocket sled on rails.

Lemme know if you want more info. Here are some other websites:

http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index.php
    http://www.spyderchat.com/

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Just having checked on CBG, I guess the MR2 is somewhat more expensive on the second-hand market than the MX5 or the MGF. But I think it's worth it.

I paid €20,000 for a 2001 with 15,000 (legitimate says the mechanic who checked it out) miles on the clock and a hard top. It hasn't been driven very much at all and that and the hard top are why the price is slightly higher than average. The hard top alone is a €1,700 option.

No AC and with the 5-speed manual (you can also get a semi-automatic SMT 6-speed).

As for the specs, you'll find them in that review I pointed you to. 1.8 litre 140bhp VVTi engine (same as in Celicas) in a car that weighs less than a tonne. 0-60 in a bit over 7 seconds. 4-wheel disc brakes, alloys, stereo (CD and cassette, but it's the stock kit and it sounds like sh!t frankly). The handling on this car is the business, though. Rocket sled on rails.

Lemme know if you want more info. Here are some other websites:

http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index.php
    http://www.spyderchat.com/

Thanks man, I am loving this MR2. I never really looked at them before. I think its between that and the MX5. I am starting to hear a few negative comments towards the MG.

A friend of mine also mentioned the Fiat Barchetta. But they seem to be left hand drive which is a no no!

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote:
    Thanks for the info! I must go out and test drive one myself. Are you a tall person by any chance? Could that be why you had the problem with your knee etc?
    Not particularly, only 5'10", but I've got shortish legs and a relatively long torso for my height, so maybe that was the problem. I just couldn't get comfortable in the MGF, somehow.

One comment on the performance ... many people used to modern engines with lots of low down torque don't rate the MX-5, but it isn't a car that really takes kindly to being driven "lazily". You really need to watch that rev counter, and take it up to, or close to the red line at every change to really appreciate it.

py2006 wrote:
    A friend of mine also mentioned the Fiat Barchetta. But they seem to be left hand drive which is a no no!
    ... and they're front wheel drive and based on a Punto chassis. Enough said :)

Alun wrote:
    ... and they're front wheel drive and based on a Punto chassis. Enough said :)

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? I am thinking bad??

I am totally clueless when it comes to cars. I go by looks and colour :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't want to be a killjoy but if this is your first car then you should get an insurance quote on these type of cars before looking at any. These cars can be expensive to insure as they tend to be more desirable with thieves and because most lack a hard top they are deemed easier to break into by insurance companies. Unfortunately when you are under 30 you usually drive what you can afford to insure rather than what you want.

If insurance is not an issue then my choice would be MR2 or MX-5. The MG has been known to have reliability issues and also take note of the recent demise of MG Rover so these cars will be worthless soon and potentially a money pit to repair and maintain.

The MX-5 has been around since 1990 so there may be more of them about. Also you may pick up an early 90's one for reasonable money. Like the MR2 they are very reliable and can handle high milage.

The MR2 has only been around in roadster form since 2000 so expect to pay big money for one (The pre 2000 MR2 was actually a 2 dr mid engined coupe like the Celica).

bazz26 wrote:
    I don't want to be a killjoy but if this is your first car then you should get an insurance quote on these type of cars before looking at any. These cars can be expensive to insure as they tend to be more desirable with thieves and because most lack a hard top they are deemed easier to break into by insurance companies. Unfortunately when you are under 30 you usually drive what you can afford to insure rather than what you want.

If insurance is not an issue then my choice would be MR2 or MX-5. The MG has been known to have reliability issues and also take note of the recent demise of MG Rover so these cars will be worthless soon and potentially a money pit to repair and maintain.

The MX-5 has been around since 1990 so there may be more of them about. Also you may pick up an early 90's one for reasonable money. Like the MR2 they are very reliable and can handle high milage.

The MR2 has only been around in roadster form since 2000 so expect to pay big money for one (The pre 2000 MR2 was actually a 2 dr mid engined coupe like the Celica).

Yea, I got a quote of 1760 from hibernian for an MG F 1.8 so I would presume it would be something similar for an MX5 and MR 2.

At best I think I would be looking at a 98-99 MX 5 for about 10,000. Thats if the bank is kind to me.

Advertisement