Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Question?

• 23-04-2005 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

I have a zyxel 623-t1 dsl modem from iolbt . up till now i was using the usb connection between the modem and computer and it was fairly slow, i've now connected the 2 using an ethernet cable and disconnected the usb cable.

The LED on the ethernet connection is continually flashing orange, is this right? should it not be green for a good connection, if so what am i doing wrong?

Also could someone tell me what ACT on the modem stands for because the led on this is also orange and flashing, is there some setting that i have wrong?

1 last thing, i can't ping any websites (e.g. ping www.uk-cstrike.net), is this a problem with my dns settings?

Any help would be appreciated because these problems r pissing me off! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

check your firewall settings maybe for the ethernet light or it could be the cable

the ACT thing is action it means the modem/network is sending and recieving info

can't help on the ping thing sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

What are your exact settings?

Are you using DHCP or a static ip?

The orange light for the LAN is normal. It never lights up green for me.

You need to be a little bit more specific about your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

I'm using a dhcp address on the modem of 192.168.1.33, i set this for torrents.

I also have port forwarding setup on ports 6881-6890 for this ip address!

I have no dns server ip address, should i have one? What is the iol dns server ip?

I hope this is enough info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Energizer wrote:
    Also could someone tell me what ACT on the modem stands for because the led on this is also orange and flashing, is there some setting that i have wrong?

Its stands for Activity.
    Energizer wrote:

I have no dns server ip address, should i have one? What is the iol dns server ip?

Ya dont need one the modem does it.
    But the two are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

==========================================================
    BT DNS Servers:

==========================================================

I dont want to hijack this thread or anything...but as its called "Zyxel Question?" could someone help me out in accessing the html control panel???

I can enter it using the Command Prompt with:
    telnet 192.168.1.1
    Password: 1234
    Copyright (c) 1994 - 2003 ZyXEL Communications Corp.

Prestige 623R-T1 Main Menu

Getting Started Advanced Management
    1. General Setup 21. Filter Set Configuration
    3. LAN Setup 22. SNMP Configuration
    4. Internet Access Setup 23. System Password
    24. System Maintenance
    Advanced Applications 25. IP Routing Policy Setup
    11. Remote Node Setup 26. Schedule Setup
    12. Static Routing Setup
    15. NAT Setup
    99. Exit

and also with
    >ftp 192.168.1.1
    Connected to 192.168.1.1.
    220 p623r-t1 FTP version 1.0 ready at Mon Mar 14 05:53:13 2005
    User (192.168.1.1:(none)): admin
    331 Enter PASS command
    Password:
    230 Logged in
    ftp>

But when I attempt to use the browser with http://192.168.1.1 nothing happens.
    I realise there is a wait of a couple of seconds but nothing happens for a couple of minutes!
    It worked fine until the last week...and can still work if I powerdown/up the router a couple of times but only for a short time before it stops giving me access.

If someone can tell me how to port forward using telnet or another prog I'm all ears as thats all I require from the html version.

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Thanks for the info lads!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

The orange light means the ethernet to your pc is running @ 100MB/s while the green means 10mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you can see websites but can't ping them then it's most likely your firewall blocking ping requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Im pretty sure the zyxel blocks ping by default. Go to security and uncheck the box beside "ping". No idea how to do this in telnet/ftp though, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭|Referee|

Im pretty sure the zyxel blocks ping by default. Go to security and uncheck the box beside "ping". No idea how to do this in telnet/ftp though, sorry.

Did'nt know If should start a new thread or hi-jack this one, can someone tell me why the green light flashes for a while before I can connect, what process is actually going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

er, it's 'connecting'.

sorry, but what were ytou expecting?

just like any kind of network connection, your modem is authenticating you with your ISP's servers, testing data throughput and negotiating the speed of the connection, same as with an analogue modem and anything else where you need to make a remote connection.

if you don't like the wait, then leave your DSL modem on when you turn your PC off, or turn it on at the same time as your PC, it's not costing you anything to leave it connected aside from saving a small amount of electricity so there's no real reason to turn it off at all.

EDIT: sorry, it's Sunday and I'm feeling a little grouchy. to be fair, i did look and try and find a more detailed explanation for you, but google is most definatly not my friend today. :(

Advertisement