Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs barking

Options
  • 23-04-2005 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I know it sounds stupid a question but does anyone have any advise on how to stop a dog barking at every noise and kreak it hers? I know a nutter in the US had her dogs vocal chords removed but is there anyway thats not cruel?
    Shes a westie..drives the neighbours nuts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Training, training and , err , yes, training.

Difficult to assess circumstances and give advice over the internet. Training classes and / or professional training would be best. Check out www.irishanimals.ie there are links to classes and trainers on there.

Don't fall for these anti-barking devices (remote control or sound controlled). They are useless at best and cruel at worst.

And yes, "de-barking", as they euphimistically call it in the US is cruelty :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

peasant wrote:

And yes, "de-barking", as they euphimistically call it in the US is cruelty :mad:
    i dont personally agree with the procedure, and have never known anyone whos had it done to their dogs.I think its pretty uncommon .
    http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/debark_qna.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I found the best thing was "a time out"...........
    ARGOS do this big cheap doggy cage, dog barks fo no reason dog spends 10 mins in empty cage etc.

Put cage in a quiet place, no stimulas nearby like a tv etc. And not near you.

Best training aid for a hyper dog imho,
    He may bark the first few times but they learn very quickly, but remember, never let him out until he hasnt barked for 5 mins, if he barks when u approach, turn around and its another 5 min, NO toys / treats/ feeding while in there, and associate putting him in with the word no by saying it twice loudly the min hes in.

Then ignore completely for 10-15 mins, thats vital!

Depending on dog, has usually worked within a week. ;)

Think like a spoilt child, what wouldnt you like if you were an attention seeker?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tovalee wrote:
    i dont personally agree with the procedure, and have never known anyone whos had it done to their dogs.I think its pretty uncommon .
    http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/debark_qna.htm

Any vet worth their salt would kick you out of their surgery if you asked for your dog to be mutilated like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It's a cruel and completely unneccesary operation. Another big thing with Americans is having their cats de-clawed. Yes that's right, they have their cat's claws removed. How on earth is a cat supposed to defend itself without it's claws? A cat will scratch another cat much sooner than it will bite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

they only remove the front ones,they can still climb trees relatively well and kick/scratch with the back claws. your not supposed to have it done if your cat goes outside at all anyway.

Advertisement