Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginner tropical fish tank

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

hiya no probs

:)

Yeh you need a group of them So they fight amount themselves rather than hassle others so best kept in a group

If you getting plants I really recommend that One I sent you really cheap and post really fast

Have a good one,

Rob

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Trevor,
    I think you should take my advice and get rid of all those little fishies and put a nice Lizard in that tank.
    It would make an ideal home for a Beardie.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

ha ha You and your wierdo lizard fetish, Can you imagine the reaction of my better half, it would be fair to say i would get the phrase ''ME OR THE LIZARD'' from herself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

it would be fair to say i would get the phrase ''ME OR THE LIZARD'' from herself

Jesus Trev you dont want to go down that road,Knowing herself she`d choose the lizard :D:D

And besides this is much cuter than you anyday!!!!!!!
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/6292/11361.JPG

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is that a heater on the wall behind your tank? If it's close it could cause a lot of temperature swings...

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote:
    Is that a heater on the wall behind your tank? If it's close it could cause a lot of temperature swings...

Yeah it is the sitting room rad alright, I have a stand coming to me soon so it will be well away from ''direct heat''. TBH it was the safest spot i could use.

I'll put a latest pic up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Nice one, thats a lovely tank, and good on ya for taking advice, hope it all goes well.

Thanks Kersh, Ill post another pic tonight.

updated picture:

NEW PIC

Mot the best picture i'll try another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Looking good mate :D

• Advertisement

Hiya like the tank

How are the Rams getting on?

Rob

The Rams are doing great. Thier colour is getting more and more stronger and they are now very terrortorial(sp?) not viscious, just chase the others away even the Bala's.

They are by far my favourite fish.

Mine are my favourite fish too,

:o)

watch them and if you have a breeding pair provide them with a flat rock or if you notice them diggin holes and or displaying againest each other,

Mine breed every 3-4 weeks. and get very territorial and drive away all other fish

:o)

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Perhaps I might add a few of my own to guide you too.
    Cycling.
    Tanks dont cycle without a supply of waste. Nitrobacter dont proliferate unless there is something to eat.
    When cycling your tank add one or two fish to start the cycle.

If there is one thing that is easy to learn its providing good clean water for your fish. Four test kits are required Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, and ammonia for freshwater fish.
    Most kits come with colour charts. Mark the charts with the maximum & minimum that your fish will be happy with. Ensure that they are allways between these marks. So Simple.

Pay attention to your fish, look at them every day if only a glance.
    If a fish was swimming backwards instead of forwards then this is something you notice.
    Inspect your fish for patches, damaged fins, lesions. mould, parasites, Most are easy to spot & act rapidly to rectify the problem.Isolate affected fish, treat the tank to ensure the rest havent got it. Cull when appropriate.
    Seasonaly treat your fish for seasonal deseases.
    Inspect the fish that is tilting sideways(there must be something wrong with him) even if you put alcohol into the water. Inspect the fish that isnt moving the way he should and try to decide if he has a problem.Treat rather than lose.
    Good treatment does not kill fish Deseases do.
    Hope this adds to your enjoyment
    Regards.

Thanks boroughmal. The has now finally cycled.(beginners error of over stocking)

I have all said test kits and last week nearly instantly ammonia fell to 0, nitrite fell to 0 etc.

In reference to fish behaviour i have noticed on of my tiger barbs swims or rather floats with his head pointing toward the floor, I've read somewhere that this is a clear sign of ''whatever''. Then he would be fine and flying around the tank.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

btw, is that a 2 foot tank?

No it's a 3 foot

Advertisement