Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Highest mileage on a car

Options
  • 23-04-2005 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Whats the highest mileage you have known a car to do before the car died or maybe its still going.Along with mileage post the make of car,year,engine size,and fuel type. This should be interesting :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hondas or corollas prob do a million or so miles with regular oil changes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I seen a Volvo on TV last year and it had done 3 million on 1 engine. Same owner since new, bought sometime in the early 60's and still going strong.
    It was at a Volvo anniversary party and they gave him a brand new Volvo for his deadication to the company.

I was in a Taxi in Dublin a couple of years ago, a Merc 220 (i think), auto , diesel and it had 999,500 ish on the clock. The taxi had plate number 3 and they driver was really old. Cool guy had been taxi driving in Dublin all his life and swore by Diesel auto Merc's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I seen a Volvo on TV last year and it had done 3 million on 1 engine. Same owner since new, bought sometime in the early 60's and still going strong.
    Yep, it's a Volvo p1800 owned by a guy called Irv Gordon. The car is very famous and there's a lot of info about it on the web.

Obviously, there is less potential for racking up huge mileages in Ireland than in the states simply because this country is so much smaller.

Having said that, there are plenty of 80s and early nineties Toyotas still on the road, many of which probably have close to or more than 500,000 on them.

A few years ago Top Gear did a feature on high mileage cars. A Merc 240D, Peugeot 309 diesel and Renault 21 diesel were featured. All had around 400,000 miles which isn't THAT remarkable - however the Peugeot had had no work done to the engine or gearbox and was still on its original clutch. The guy who owned it commuted 200 miles round trip to work every day. His work was - wait for it - a lorry driver :D He was hoping to see 1 million on the Pug but conceded that he'd be doing well to get there on the original clutch :D

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A neighbour of mine had a 1990 Toyota Corolla 1.3 petrol running as a taxi from new and it had 500,000 miles on it when he retired. It was still on the original gear box and engine. He sold it and the taxi plate to another guy and the car is still running around as a taxi as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Before I got my current 98 Civic, I was driving a 1990 Carina Estate, 1.6 16Valve. When I got it, it had 255,000 miles, and when I gave it back to my parents last month it had 278,000. I know it isn't *that* amazing, but the car really is ULTRA reliable. It was also quite lively, and had good punch for when you needed acceleration overtaking. It looks quite battered now on the outside (hehe..I learnt to drive in this thing) but it is still quite comfortable to travel in.

Jap cars, especially Toyotas, are the ultimate in reliability, and I recommend them to anyone who needs to clock up a large mileage with super-reliability along the way.

I gave the car back to my mum last month, and she's has insure it for another year. The NCT is summer 06... I'd say it will pass again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yep, you can't beat Japanese cars for reliability !

I've often thought that if you could get a car with the reliability of a Jap car and the bodywork strength/build quality of a BMW, you would have the best car ever !!
    (And no, I don't rate Lexus cars for strength v BMW's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

I know of 2 peugeot405`s with 250,000miles on them and still running about the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I saw a +500K MB Diesel at a car show. And read of sevaral local Toyotas with +250K

Personally did 200K (bought with 35K on the clock) on a 1980 Rabbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We had a BMW 316i Touring with 275 klm's on the clock. Great car except my GF thought she was Damon Hill and destroyed it by flooring it on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I seen one of the guys in VWvortex doing 300k on a golf 1.9Tdi with nothing major. I think he's a medical sales man, so I'd say he ranked up a couple more 100K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My B-i-L had a hackney Toyota Corolla diesel auto.
    last time I saw it it had 493k on the original engine and transmission.
    You just can't beat the Toyota Corolla for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

CJhaughey wrote:
    My B-i-L had a hackney Toyota Corolla diesel auto.
    last time I saw it it had 493k on the original engine and transmission.
    You just can't beat the Toyota Corolla for reliability.

no wonder they are the car of choice for hackney's and taxi's!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Corolla and Carina E seem to be almost indestructible given a modest amount of maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

my father thinks his 1990 vw jetta 1.6 diesel is great with 212,000 miles done, then again it has done the work of a jeep. the car apart from the engine is in terrible condition (so many dents) and it still has a years nct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

how about this...remarkable mileage for such a relatively new and top of the range car

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9873&item=4535375819&rd=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

:eek: That is remarkable. 512k miles in around 2 years. If my calculations are correct that's the equivalent of driving at 30mph, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for 2 years :eek: :D:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

thats some milage, imagine the amount of petrol that thing drank in its lifetime, would have saved a mint by even downgrading to a gti, some people are feckin mental :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

B0LK1x to the car - Am I the only one thinking that there are some people out there with pretty cool jobs? I'm far from a Golf lover but imagine BEING PAID to drive a 3 Litre Golf (Think power to weight ratio) up and down the continent!!!!

caesar wrote:
    my father thinks his 1990 vw jetta 1.6 diesel is great with 212,000 miles done, then again it has done the work of a jeep. the car apart from the engine is in terrible condition (so many dents) and it still has a years nct

Ditto. My bro's 89 Jetta 1.6 Die, has about 180K odd. says about 220k on the clock as it has a scrap yard replacement dash. I was driving it when it turned 100K, so I got a photo of that.... somewheres about Kidare doing 60mph.
    I'd say about 25% of the time it has a 2 animal Cow box behind.
    Original clutch, but the g-box appears to be displaying signs of a worn bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I've sat in plenty of taxis in the states with 1.5 million on the clock. Mostly Ford Crown Victorias (all V8 engines which don't have to work very hard to make the car move!). Virtually all ex-police cars too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I was in a Taxi in Dublin a couple of years ago, a Merc 220 (i think), auto , diesel and it had 999,500 ish on the clock. The taxi had plate number 3 and they driver was really old. Cool guy had been taxi driving in Dublin all his life and swore by Diesel auto Merc's.

I'm fairly sure I've been in that car too. Immaculate interior. Nice old guy doing the driving. No shakes, squeaks or rattles. Pretty remarkable.He'd do well in Cuba!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

BrianD3 wrote:
    :eek: That is remarkable. 512k miles in around 2 years. If my calculations are correct that's the equivalent of driving at 30mph, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for 2 years :eek: :D:
    how did u work that out ....i know a car with 505,000 :D toyota of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

davidgti wrote:
    how did u work that out
    512,000 miles in two years
    256,000 miles in one year ... one year is 1/2 of two years
    701 miles in one day ... one day is 1/365th of a year
    29.22 miles in one hour ... one hour is 1/24th of a day

It's an ancient art known as division :)

murphaph wrote:
    I've sat in plenty of taxis in the states with 1.5 million on the clock. Mostly Ford Crown Victorias (all V8 engines which don't have to work very hard to make the car move!). Virtually all ex-police cars too.
    Oho..... That's the same car as "EOB" describes a pointless POS. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Over 300k on a 1984 fiat uno and over 200k on a 1990 one (both on original engines and gearboxes) prove that with the right maintenance, any car can clock up high miles.

alias no.9 wrote:
    Over 300k on a 1984 fiat uno and over 200k on a 1990 one (both on original engines and gearboxes) prove that with the right maintenance, any car can clock up high miles.

You forgot to add some other small important detail, ie "all of the above & the right nut behind the wheel".

There are a few out there that would not know pinging in the engine from a cricket in the Air Con........

Advertisement