Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

congratulations

• 23-04-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

its been a formality for sometime now but this week has been a weekend of acceptance that chelsea are champions. so in the interest of gentleman like behaviour i would like to say hats off to chelsea.

despite all the excuses i have made for my beloved man utd this year and all the criticism of some of the chelsea players, they have been excellent this year. they continue to pick up the results when some expected a "blip".

they have good players, good coach and loads of dollars but what im really jealous of is the team spirit. its unrivalled in the premiership at the moment. similar to arsenal in the past but even arsenal have lost theirs. and it is certainly something that has been missing from man utd in sometime now.

so well done chelsea, bring on august!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hey it ain't over yet, Arsenal can still do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well Spurs on Mon isn't a four gone conclusion, they always raise their game against Gooners.
    If Chelsea beat Bolton its definitely over, but Bolton always give us a game.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

its been a formality for sometime now but this week has been a weekend of acceptance that chelsea are champions. so in the interest of gentleman like behaviour i would like to say hats off to chelsea.

despite all the excuses i have made for my beloved man utd this year and all the criticism of some of the chelsea players, they have been excellent this year. they continue to pick up the results when some expected a "blip".

they have good players, good coach and loads of dollars but what im really jealous of is the team spirit. its unrivalled in the premiership at the moment. similar to arsenal in the past but even arsenal have lost theirs. and it is certainly something that has been missing from man utd in sometime now.

so well done chelsea, bring on august!

I must agree with all of the above. Chelsea have been out on there own all season. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

One of the least known facts is Chelsea's Goalkeeper Czech was brought into
    Chelsea by Raneiri and not Mourinho. Best goalie in the world at the moment and one of the reasons why Arsenal and MU didn't have any run this year.
    Arsenal have never replaced Seaman and MU have never replaced Schmichel/Barthez.
    Next season will be interesting to see where Shay Given is playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

okidoki987 wrote:
    One of the least known facts is Chelsea's Goalkeeper Czech was brought into
    Chelsea by Raneiri and not Mourinho.

I thought that was quite well known that the tinkerman brought him in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

okidoki987 wrote:
    Next season will be interesting to see where Shay Given is playing!

Newcastle , Arsenal and Man United arent going to pay £14-16 million on a goalkeeper .

Especially when they can spend 14-16 mill on an incredible goalkeeper rather than just a really good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    Especially when they can spend 14-16 mill on an incredible goalkeeper rather than just a really good one.

Yes but what incredible goal keepers are out there at a price either Arsenal or Man United are willing to pay . Frey is a good goaly , but he's not better than Given , theres only a handful of great goalies out there and they seem to belong to clubs unwilling to sell , Real Madrid , Juventus , Chelsea , AC Milan(despite a dodgy performance at old Traford , by Dida he is a world class goalkeeper) .

So who have you in mind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

okidoki987 wrote:
    Best goalie in the world at the moment

he is a very good goalie, im not doubting that. but he has a very good defence and team in front of him. john terry has an amazing ability to block shots, he seems to get in the way of everything.

and with the attacking ability of the team there are many games where he is left unworked. that is what utd and arsenal should be looking at. they both need new goalkeepers but their defences need to be worked on also.

neither arsenal or utd were extremely bad in terms of goals conceded this year but chelsea have raised the bar both defensively and offensively and its a timely wake up call to utd and arsenal.

i would love to see given at utd but as said above i cant see utd paying 15 million for him. (now that ive said that they will prob pay 25 for him!)

but i would also love to see a rock solid centre back to partner rio come in. ferdy is a good defender but he needs something less fancy beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Ears wrote:
    Yes but what incredible goal keepers are out there at a price either Arsenal or Man United are willing to pay . Frey is a good goaly , but he's not better than Given , theres only a handful of great goalies out there and they seem to belong to clubs unwilling to sell , Real Madrid , Juventus , Chelsea , AC Milan(despite a dodgy performance at old Traford , by Dida he is a world class goalkeeper) .

So who have you in mind ?

How much would Bolton want for Jaaskelainen? I think he is a quality keeper and who would not be out of place at United or Arsenal. He would not cost anywhere near 14 million. Given is an excellent keeper but lacks a bit of height.

• Advertisement

height would be an issue with ferguson after barthez and having watched cech this year i think it is a major factor for goalkeepers.

Casillas would be 20 :)
    United alledgedly tabled an offer of 14 million for him, so if he is worth 14 mill, what is Given worth? I'd say 8. If we could get given for less than 10 mill that'd be a good signing, but Fergie knows that the only transfer money he has is on a top quality goalie, and a price hasn't been announced. I figure he is gona make the board pay over the money for a top top goalie.
    p.s. He wants someone big cause he doesn't trust his CB pairing to deal with crosses effectivly, at a super super level, rather than just the normal level. United get scored on a lot from crosses

are madrid really going to sell iker? why?

Advertisement