Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When buying a 2nd hand car, what would be the max mileage...

Options
  • 23-04-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

...you would consider?

I was told by my uncle (he who knows all about cars and I know nothing) that he wouldn't touch a car with more than 40,000 miles on the clock. He may push to mid 40's to 50 depending on the car.

What do you guys reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

It all depends on the year and the car to be honest, some cars can handle high mileage much better than others so its not a problem. Also an older car with very low mileage can be a problem because parts can corrode (if thats the right word) through under use!

Was reading something recently where this is the case with Micra's and you are better off going for one with at least average mileage (eg 12-15K per year)

I would have always preferred something with low-to average mileage but having sold a 00 almera (that only had 24k when I bought it last year) certainly wouldnt consider it an advantage, apart from the car just generally being crap it just didnt feel right as if the engine had never been driven right or broken in properly!

All depends on the car and if its been looked after and serviced properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As Samo says it depends on the year and make of the car plus how the car was driven and maintained. Also whether it is petrol or diesel.

The average milage per year for a petrol car is about 12k or 13k a year whereas a diesel is close to double that.

Generally cars are more durable these these days than say 15 years ago so most would only be just broken in at 40k.

A one year car with 40k on clock driven by a sales rep up and down the country could be better driven and looked after than a 3 year old car with only 15k on the clock driven to the shops by a granny. It really depends on the history of the car in question.

If people were to run away from cars with more than 40k on the clock then I would never have been able to trade my cars over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Mine's (12yo 525i) got 90k on the clock and it's solid as a rock. The Daddy's (10yo Carina diesel) has got 200k+ and although it's beat-up, it doesn't kick up a lot of fuss. The mother's last car (10yo 1l Colt) had 100k on the clock and it caused very little hassle, although it was probably at a tipping point.

Mileage is a stupid deciding factor tbh, you're uncle's talking out his hat. No offense like.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

dahamsta wrote:
    Mine's (12yo 525i) got 90k on the clock and it's solid as a rock. The Daddy's (10yo Carina diesel) has got 200k+ and although it's beat-up, it doesn't kick up a lot of fuss. The mother's last car (10yo 1l Colt) had 100k on the clock and it caused very little hassle, although it was probably at a tipping point.

Mileage is a stupid deciding factor tbh, you're uncle's talking out his hat. No offense like.

adam

Well, I wouldn't say that now! It wouldn't be a deciding factor but it would be an important one. If I am looking at 5 different cars, all same make, model and year etc. Then it would come in. I wouldn't buy a car with 100,000 on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

40,000 isnt much by todays standard. There's a chap I know has over 100k on his focus and it runs fine and dandy

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote:
    Well, I wouldn't say that now!
    Umm, you just did. Right there. After that sentence.
    If I am looking at 5 different cars, all same make, model and year etc. Then it would come in.
    Of course it would - albeit as a guideline, which can be tossed out when the car is actually checked out - but that's not what you asked. You asked what we reckoned about your uncle's assertion that he wouldn't buy a car with more than 40k on the clock. I think it's a stupid assertion, unless he qualified it by saying that he doesn't want an older car. FFS, there are cars from the start of the century out there with less than 40k on the clock. And there are plenty of cars that have gone around the clock that are still in perfect nick.
    I wouldn't buy a car with 100,000 on the clock
    Any well-kept larger-engined early-nineties BMW or Merc will do 150k, 200k, 250k comfortably, and I'm sure there are plenty of other models that will too. I'll take one of them over some boring-as-fork low mileage Mundane any day.

adam

thats a fair point. But the higher the mileage when your buying the harder it will be to sell it yourself a few years later. I think that was my uncles point

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I just got a Saab 900 Classic LPT with 212k on the clock, runs nice and is spotless inside. It is a known fact that Saab's are good for over 300k so I am not concerned with longevity.
    Needs a little work, Rad. and maybe a set of discs but hey it's a nice car and goes pretty well too and as dahamsta put it , who wants a Mundaneo?

py2006 wrote:
    thats a fair point. But the higher the mileage when your buying the harder it will be to sell it yourself a few years later. I think that was my uncles point
    That's true, but I don't think you can peg it at any particular figure. As the Squire just pointed out, it depends on the car, the engine, how it's been treated, etc. But the first two responses went into detail on that, I was just being a bit more... forceful. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was just being a bit more... forceful.

He's like that you know..Masterful!

I bought my heap with a certain number of miles on the clock (odeometre died at 168,000) but you'd never know as it looks like its done far more!

Nah it starts every time so I wont complain and the milage hardly matters past a certain point.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fortunately for us poor people there is the misconception in this country that cars over 100k miles shouldn't be touched

Bought mine well over a year ago with 112k miles. Touching 121k miles now aged 8.5 years and the V8 is still smooth as silk as is the transmission :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Obviously the year and type of car makes a big difference as to what is acceptable mileage but the main consideration should be what sort of mileage are YOU going to put on it? I think that if you do a lot of miles each year then buy a car with low miles on it but if you do a low annual mileage then buy a car with high miles on it 'cause you'll gain by getting it much cheaper and the mileage won't really matter. As for 40k miles being the limit I personally think that's just bloody silly - unless your uncle was talking about 1 or 2 year old cars only. An Alfa or Beemer or the likes might start to cause problems at that mileage but a Japper with 140k miles on it would probably be a safe bet.
    Never make the mistake of buying a car with 90 odd thousand miles on it (Like I did a few times when I was young and green) - That same car with just over the 100k miles will be every bit as good and a hell of a lot cheaper!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Got the full spectrul of valid answers there.

It depends. Just what you wanted to hear, right?. :rolleyes:

It depends on the side of the country, E vs W, driver habits, size of engine vs size of car, maker, etc.

Generally, I'd prefer a high mileage, low years Toyota that did not tow a trailer, than a low mileage Pugot, that towed a 1/2 ton of concrete blocks every day.
    High mileage is more acceptable on a larger engine than a smaller. Large engines turn a lot slower than a smaller one in top gear at the same speed.

However, 100K of Irish roads is 100K of Irish roads, no way around that, though E-coast roads tend to be better than W-Coast. So all else being equal, I'd keep away from the coast.... salt.
    Same when it comes to vehicles from New York va New Mexico.

I am looking at an 98 Mazda MX5 1.8 with 60,000 on the clock....what you guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I reckon it won't be very good for towing a 1/2 ton of concrete blocks ;)
    Seriously, I would be looking for signs of crash damage and regular maintenance in this sort of car.
    Look at all the shutlines and try and see if any are wider than others, Check the oil with a clean white rag/ tissue that won't tell you a whole pile about previous services but if the seller has bothered to do an oil change before selling it to you maybe thats a good sign.
    likewise with the air filter.
    Those little coupes are pretty reliable.

CJhaughey wrote:
    I reckon it won't be very good for towing a 1/2 ton of concrete blocks ;)
    Seriously, I would be looking for signs of crash damage and regular maintenance in this sort of car.
    Look at all the shutlines and try and see if any are wider than others, Check the oil with a clean white rag/ tissue that won't tell you a whole pile about previous services but if the seller has bothered to do an oil change before selling it to you maybe thats a good sign.
    likewise with the air filter.
    Those little coupes are pretty reliable.

I haven't a clue what you just said but thanks anyways :D
    When I go to view it I will bring me uncle, he seems know a thing or two about cars. All I know is that they have four wheels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I bought a Golf GTI '86 with 106k on the clock. I ran it till it had 130k then sold it to my mechanic. In fact I wouldn't have sold it only for it took leaded petrol and very was thirsty. I know taxi drivers who put 200k-250k on their cars no problem. They generally look for a car with 70-90k on it and in good nick. It means they get it for very little and then run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unkel wrote:
    Touching 121k miles now aged 8.5 years and the V8 is still smooth as silk as is the transmission :D

id be very suspicious of that cars auto box eating it tbh. bmw are known to have weak auto transmissions that fail and start slipping at 100. and it is 4 0r 5 grand to put it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

py2006 wrote:
    I was told by my uncle (he who knows all about cars and I know nothing) that he wouldn't touch a car with more than 40,000 miles on the cloc

Well from my point of view your uncle hasnt a clue! wouldnt bring him with you when buying a car! get a proper mechanic! anyway a car with more not less than 40K? thats a joke.....a diesel car will do 100K before the engine will really starts to have anything near a problem! as already said any car that is driven right will have no problem with 100K plus! my mum got a 88 car off her aunt who couldnt drive anymore and there was 20K on it! yes 20K....she only used it for driving to the shops about 10 years ago and has sat in garage since then! so by your uncle reckoning this would be a perfect buy? not saying car has anything wrong with it.....great thing to go but only 4 gears!! reminds me of the old days and brings a tear to my eye! :D

i personally know a fair bit about cars and apart from all the spurious propaganda on this topic on this post- these are the realities

1. petrol engines that havent had regular servicing with good oil changes(most irish cars about 75%) will be noisey at the top end at 60000miles. this is the first sign of bad news. worse still 10% may have bottom end noise or piston slap. this is very bad news.

2. the motor trade is reluctant to take a car with over 55000 miles on trade in or offers very poor deals, thats why u see alot of high mileage cars for sale on the used boards, and buy and sell. so u will have difficulty in selling it.

3 many irish cars are abused or run on a shoestring. cars really need expensive maintainence at 60000 miles on like clutches=400euro, shocks=250-500 euro, timing belt/water pumps=500 euro, brake discs , 250 euro. at 100000 miles most irish cars need all of these so 2 grands worth of service and they arent even worth 2 grand at 7 years and 100000 miles so u dont have to be einstein to do the sums.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    i personally know a fair bit about cars and apart from all the spurious propaganda on this topic on this post- these are the realities

1. petrol engines that havent had regular servicing with good oil changes(most irish cars about 75%) will be noisey at the top end at 60000miles. this is the first sign of bad news. worse still 10% may have bottom end noise or piston slap. this is very bad news.

2. the motor trade is reluctant to take a car with over 55000 miles on trade in or offers very poor deals, thats why u see alot of high mileage cars for sale on the used boards, and buy and sell. so u will have difficulty in selling it.

3 many irish cars are abused or run on a shoestring. cars really need expensive maintainence at 60000 miles on like clutches=400euro, shocks=250-500 euro, timing belt/water pumps=500 euro, brake discs , 250 euro. at 100000 miles most irish cars need all of these so 2 grands worth of service and they arent even worth 2 grand at 7 years and 100000 miles so u dont have to be einstein to do the sums.

Clutch for 400 euro? what you putting in a gold one? I got mine replaced in last car for 150 euro. Primera! Shocks Im not sure about.....Timing belt should be checked/replaced on service....not 500 euro.....water pump not sure.....brake disks 250 euro each? dont think so....usually brake pads go and they will be replaced on service at not too much extra....cant remember on car but they where gone every year and wasnt that much extra on service.....at 100K a car needs 2 grand spent on it????? what you doing to the poor thing?? driving it through bogs pulling a tractor? and servicing it every 6 years?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Clutch for 400 euro? what you putting in a gold one? I got mine replaced in last car for 150 euro. Primera! Shocks Im not sure about.....Timing belt should be checked/replaced on service....not 500 euro.....water pump not sure.....brake disks 250 euro each? dont think so....usually brake pads go and they will be replaced on service at not too much extra....cant remember on car but they where gone every year and wasnt that much extra on service.....at 100K a car needs 2 grand spent on it????? what you doing to the poor thing?? driving it through bogs pulling a tractor? and servicing it every 6 years?

which all sums up exactly how old cars are treated in this country AVOID! ur uncle is RIGHT!i bet u he lives in the bog, where even oil changes are seen as optional.

(to replace a clutch, u have to jck it up, remove the driveshafts, take off the gearbox, the clutch and release bearing kit alone is 170 ish euros for the average car check out gsfcarparts.com if u dont believe me and 4 hours labour+vat and new gearbox oil =500 for 150 some gunter would have relined your old clutch by gluing on 30 grit sandpaper to it, and filling ur gearbox with a mixture of old engine oil and bits of old screws.

brake discs are 95-100 euros, and 11/2 hours labour so 250 for the 2, and pads thats 300, timing belts are 15 euro but a timing belt kit includes up to 4 tensioners, which are 40 each alone and a water pump that easily comes to the above with the labour charge

sh!t tyres that will make u loose the car on a bend are ususually fitted in this coutry and all need replacing, thats another 360 euro for 175 types and upto 1000 for 7 series type vehicles. the list goes on and on and on and on)

lomb wrote:
    which all sums up exactly how old cars are treated in this country AVOID! ur uncle is RIGHT!i bet u he lives in the bog, where even oil changes are seen as optional.

(to replace a clutch, u have to jck it up, remove the driveshafts, take off the gearbox, the clutch and release bearing kit alone is 170 ish euros for the average car check out gsfcarparts.com if u dont believe me and 4 hours labour+vat and new gearbox oil =500 for 150 some gunter would have relined your old clutch by gluing on 30 grit sandpaper to it, and filling ur gearbox with a mixture of old engine oil and bits of old screws.

brake discs are 95-100 euros, and 11/2 hours labour so 250 for the 2, and pads thats 300, timing belts are 15 euro but a timing belt kit includes up to 4 tensioners, which are 40 each alone and a water pump that easily comes to the above with the labour charge

sh!t tyres that will make u loose the car on a bend are ususually fitted in this coutry and all need replacing, thats another 360 euro for 175 types and upto 1000 for 7 series type vehicles. the list goes on and on and on and on)

170 euro for service? your going to the wrong man! I get my car serviced by a proper mechanic for 70-80 euros a pop(anything needed to be replaced is extra)......150-180 for clutch replacement on car and again was proper job(I dont allow what you call a "gunter" near my bicycle let alone my car)......you must go to a garage where they see you walking up with a euro sign over your head a mile away......even replaced a gear box in another car for 400 quid(cant remember if euro or pound....think it was euro)......again great job!!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    170 euro for service? your going to the wrong man! I get my car serviced by a proper mechanic for 70-80 euros a pop(anything needed to be replaced is extra)......150-180 for clutch replacement on car and again was proper job(I dont allow what you call a "gunter" near my bicycle let alone my car)......you must go to a garage where they see you walking up with a euro sign over your head a mile away......even replaced a gear box in another car for 400 quid(cant remember if euro or pound....think it was euro)......again great job!!!

not at all, i do all my own servicing and get big jobs done from people with the knowledge and equipment. brake discs are 45 euro a side for a golf rising to 150 euro each for some jap cars as the aftermarket guys dont do them, i know as i bought some the other day.

again i am telling u the clutch kit alone is 185 euro for the mkiv golf from a reputable aftermarket parts supplier (gsfcarparts-many boards members buy parts here). how is it the magical man did ur clutch and refilled the gearbox with fresh oil for 150 euro when the parts alone are 200 euro. and its a 3 -4 hour job and warranted it and paid his overheads. im telling u it cann0t be done. my father used to get his clutch done for that but needed a new clutch every 10000 miles as it turned out the guy was having it relined for 20 quid(glue on grit to the old one)

i know what things cost but i know the value of them also. to the original poster if these posts havent convinced u of the merit of buuying low milage nothing will. of course WELL LOOKED AFTER HIGH MILEAGE CARS ARE FINE GREAT EVEN but they need money no object care and they wont get it in ireland playing the odds U can assure urself of that.unless u see a sheaf of receipts and paperwork run RUN LIKE THE WIND

lomb wrote:
    again i am telling u the clutch kit alone is 185 euro for the mkiv golf from a reputable aftermarket parts supplier (gsfcarparts-many boards members buy parts here). how is it the magical man did ur clutch and refilled the gearbox with fresh oil for 150 euro when the parts alone are 200 euro. and its a 3 -4 hour job and warranted it and paid his overheads. im telling u it cann0t be done. my father used to get his clutch done for that but needed a new clutch every 10000 miles as it turned out the guy was having it relined for 20 quid(glue on grit to the old one)

Havent a clue how he did it but it wasnt over 180 for a new clutch into a Primera....he is a cousin and services all my familys cars for years for us so I know he does a good job and doesnt just paper over the cracks...if there is a prob he will tell you and the price up front....

Big Nelly wrote:
    Havent a clue how he did it but it wasnt over 180 for a new clutch into a Primera....he is a cousin and services all my familys cars for years for us so I know he does a good job and doesnt just paper over the cracks...if there is a prob he will tell you and the price up front....

well i reakon he did it at parts cost then if he did it properly, so give him a case of whisky for christmas. nice to have a mechanic in the family :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

i have a 1996 megane with 103,000 on the clock and she is running like a charm. I think as long as a car is regularly serviced and taken care of then milleage should not be a huge issue. I have this car a year. Serviced it one as per norm but nothing has given me any trouble.

Advertisement