Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Right-click on Start Menu problems

• 23-04-2005 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as Boards.ie search is on the blink...

Any ideas what could cause explorer to hang when I right-click on the Start Menu? The mouse pointer just turns to the hourglass when I point to anywhere on the taskbar, but when I move it to the desktop, it functions normally.

I've nothing unusual installed, running XP on Service Pack 2. CPU stays down at the 1-2% level with System Idle process at 99% (which it always is). Killing explorer.exe and restarting it fixes the problem, but I am at a loss as to what could be causing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Just to clarify...
    The hour-glass appears when you roll over anywhere on the taskbar... but only after you've right-clicked on the start button?
    Everything else functions normally until you do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Tom - just a long shot here (I had a very similar issue a when I upgraded to SP2): Do you by any chance have Dr. Divx installed ?
    Have a look at [HTML]http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm[/HTML] - scroll down to "Explorer freezes or crashes when right-clicking a file" .....

I had the same thing happening to me in many different 'flavours' ....

Hope I could help .... :D

//Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to clarify...
    The hour-glass appears when you roll over anywhere on the taskbar... but only after you've right-clicked on the start button?
    Everything else functions normally until you do this?

That's correct.
    Stone wrote:
    Do you by any chance have Dr. Divx installed ?

No, but I did have a freeware zipper installed. As with all zip/unzip programs, it added compression options to the right-click menu. I uninstalled it and the problem went away.

This one had me scratching my head for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Somewhat relevant.

Might give you a few ideas anyway.

Advertisement