Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas

• 23-04-2005 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hey
    a few of my friends have been accussed of plagiarism in their essays and have to meet with the lecturers, they are unsure as to what will happen. Has this thing ever happend to any of you or people you know? Any ideas on what the outcome was or can be?
    Any help would be great
    Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

That all depends, did they do it?

If they didn't just tell them to tell the truth and to plead their cases well. Otherwise, if they did and they've been found out, tough shít.

The majority of CA got done for plagarism one time... can't member what over.

Goodluck to your mates either or!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

worst case you could fail the course, in some cases you wont be allowed to complete the degree, (it would have to be pretty serious though, like something that counts towards your final degree)

best case, they get zero for the assignment,

like jesjes said though, if they did do it, tough ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

well i havent talked to the rest of them since thursday at the summerball, one of my friends who is nameless didn't mean to plagiarise intentionally (didn't even know they had plagiarised), they said that they just forgot to refernece one particular part in the essay but the source was referenced in the bibliography. I was just asked to check on boards if anyone knew what could/would happen and stuff, cause although the person is a member of boards they wanted to remain anonymous (hasn't posted on dcu place though)

thanks,
    Zem

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Well, tell them to say what you just said. Citing and refrenecing is hard. I always **** it up. They'll understand if the person pleads their case properly. No lecturer *wants* to fail their students.

Honesty works best. Tell them to apologize and hope for the best! Esp if it was in the bibliography. Doubt its even that serious.

Advertisement