Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help -Cat is obsessed with cooked chicken!

• 23-04-2005 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Anytime we get a cooked chicken, Zara goes crazy and spends the whole time running around our feet begging for chicken. Is there any tricks for stopping her from doing this? (guarding the smell for example) ??
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

try keeping a small spray bottle of water on the table.When she starts begging , give her a little zap. I've used that technique to break my cats of all kinds of bad behaviour. It's harmless, they hate it, and they dont associate the correction as coming from you,but as a direct result of the behavior, (as oppsed to scolding, or pushing her away).so they're less likely to get into trouble when you turn your back on your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

lol, any time iv tried that mine always get their revenge later, lol ;)

Iv just learnt to live with it, part of their........"charm"......... lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

With our cats it's cheese and smoked salmon :) Chicken doesn't really seem to do anything for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The simplest method is to put a closed door between her and you having your dinner ... after all, you leave HER alone as well, while she is having hers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

Yes.......Why not place the cat in another room if chicken is being served. It would solve the problem and save you sending them into shock by squirting them with water, which is not advisable.And Feline behaviorists do not condone that method at all. :eek:
    Alan your cats have very good taste. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

No no no...this is not just when chicken is being served. This could be a multi-day campaign starting from when the chicken is bought to when the carcass is thrown out. I think at this stage we just have to give into her though. She is 16 years old, and very stubborn and set in her ways. I dont think a bucket of water could drench her passion for cooked chicken. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Hi,

Has your cat only started this behaviour recently .. or is this a lifetime obsession .. at 16 you're lucky your cat gets passionate at something, our fella is 14 and does nothing only sleep all day (on the best sofa of course!).

He's always has a penchant for the smell of sausages, his purring volume goes up a few notches and he dribbles ... I've always found a simple blow (of air) in the face, gets him down and out of the way .. he wouldn't go mad for chicken now, only the skin .. he likes his grease!

All I know for definite, like you say, is that cats get more set in their ways as they get older, like us I guess.

Good luck tryin to change that cat ... :rolleyes:

Yes it has been a life long obsession! She loves the greasy parts, the skin and any meat that isnt really dry. I have never tried blowing in the face, maybe I will remember that for next time thanks. Yeah she is around 16 now, and sometimes she would seem very old, then other times she would act like a kitten again :) I was thinking maybe its unfair to deny her of her most passioned comforts at this stage of her life. We'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Would you not give her some chicken and she can eat it while you eat yours? After all it's bound to be better than tinned food. :)

I dont mind giving her some chicken, but its just she gets really annoying when its in the house because she just wants more and more! Running around our feet and meowing until we give in (again :(:o )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 adharc

You're lucky. We have 6 cats and five of them have fresh chicken every day, they q up when the chicken breasts are in the oven. They also like salmon, steak, expensive cat foods. Don't give them any bones!!!

Advertisement