Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish PC Modding Site...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

unkel wrote:
    Why cater for people that are stuck in 1995? Then they'd never push their ISP / government / local TD / consumer rights organisation for a half decent connection ;)

i think syxpak is also referring to the bandwidth usage of the site itself. countless pages of 2048 x 1536 images would make the site get through its monthly transfer limit in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

unkel wrote:
    Why cater for people that are stuck in 1995? Then they'd never push their ISP / government / local TD / consumer rights organisation for a half decent connection ;)

I was thinking more from the point of view of hosting costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

SyxPak wrote:
    I was thinking more from the point of view of hosting costs.

Aye, didn't think of that. Mind a couple of gigabytes per month costs nothing these days. Perhaps linking the graphics to the manufacturers' sites rather than hosting them yourself would be a solution. Copyright is not an issue then either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

unkel wrote:
    Aye, didn't think of that. Mind a couple of gigabytes per month costs nothing these days. Perhaps linking the graphics to the manufacturers' sites rather than hosting them yourself would be a solution. Copyright is not an issue then either

i also think syxpak was referring to pictures of our own setups, not a gallery of manufacturers cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Wont be up tonight as my DFi board died in mid review :(, and that was the PC i was using for the DEV. have all the files on my laptop too, but putting my Abit AA8 in and reinstalling everything has set me back, should have it up by weekend!!

The board died, it just died :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ooops.

i'm just getting my feet wet starting to mod my pc now, but i'd be more than happy to contribute my experiences in getting into the scene, and how it goes from the novice point of view. always good to have a modding n00b's eye view of things sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I wholeheartedly endorse/support this product. I wouldnt mind doing reviews or mod-ship. My knowledge isnt the largest but I'm in process of learning so I'm up to date with stuff. Custom PC is usually a good source. So if you need a hand with anything, also have some experience in design and doing comp science so I deffo will be able to add some input in the future.

Thanks alot for the offers and interest.

Anyone that has offered their skills as a review writer is asked to submit a sample review of a product of their choice. Authors of the sample review with be notified and credited if the article is used on the site.

If you have some pics of your custom pc and would like them posed in or Custom Rig section please send a spec sheet also.

Sample reviews and CustomPc pics can be sent to vevex@custompc.ie

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

do you want the reviews in any specific, as i dont have a digital camera i will have to pull pictures of the net for the review id do up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

A review based on a piece of hardware that you currently have in your machine will do.

You have plenty of hardware that could make nice subject matter for a review Gline.

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote:
    A review based on a piece of hardware that you currently have in your machine will do.

You have plenty of hardware that could make nice subject matter for a review Gline.

yeh ive got one half-done, its more based for the newbie system builder/modder.

But what format u want it in? as i know nothing about website building etc, so i am just doing it up in word and gonna paste the pictures from the manufacturers in it. Its not the best piece of hardware to review but i figured its only really to see peoples reviewing skills and article writing skills

So i doubt youd use my reviews, LOL

just do it in notepad or word or something, i'll put back into html/php

Jammer wrote:
    just do it in notepad or word or something, i'll put back into html/php

ok cool

VeVeX wrote:

How long is this request for submission of reviews going to last, or is it the main method of getting extra review-type content for the site?

I'm in the middle of my final year exams, so I'm a bit bushed at the moment, and won't have the parts collected for my new rig till mid-June.

I could always review the Slot1 Coppermine P3 800MHz smile.gif

Well we have alot of stuff done already, and have a fair bit planned/on the way, but the more reviewers the merrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Do you know when the site will be up? Im hopefully goin to do more stuff wiht my dell. so i can write about the dredded horrers od dell! :eek:

Flunked wrote:
    Im hopefully goin to do more stuff wiht my dell. so i can write about the dredded horrers od dell! :eek:

thats a good article, a lot of dell owners out there that want to upgrade or mod.

I've been planning to write a comprehensive guide to case-painting (Interor, exterior steel cases, and spraying pastic case front panels and drive faceplates) and I might do a HOWTO on neat window modding, maybe even acrylic etching.

SyxPak wrote:
    a HOWTO on neat window modding, maybe even acrylic etching.

that would be cool id defo give that a good read and try it out.

im nearly finished my article, 1st time ive ever done one soim sure its ****e but hey 1st time for everything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

SyxPak wrote:
    Hardware/software/misc reviews - good chance of getting sample stuff sent to a writer for review from companies.

Could you just send a lovely and sweet letter to the manufacturer :rolleyes: ?
    it would be so cool to be able to get free stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

dont how this works but if u didnt have to give the stuff back prehaps some competitions for best mod etc?

I sent in a review lads, let me know if u recieve it , as hotmail has a tendency to sometimes strip attachments (yeh i kno im still using hotmail :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

I know this thread is from 7 years ago. but wondering if anyone is still interested in writing reviews? I Have currently created a site (overclocker.ie) and I want to have some good reviews about PC Hardware, Overclocking, gaming and modding in Ireland on it, If some Irish build on the site. the site is only in the starting stages. but planing to develop it more and advertise for it through out this year. Im looking for anyone that wants to give a hand (but have some experience in modding and hardware) and maybe we can create a Irish Magazine for Custom PC. this is a big hobby of mine and who knows if this works we could maybe get sponsors to help fund the magazine. I currently run and print and design shop in Dublin(so I can print the magazine myself), and expanding it to an internet cafe and modders workshop within the next couple of weeks, just building it little by little as there is no big budget for it. So I seen this post from years ago, is anyone still interested in this? Im not looking to compete with the big magazine companies but I have always felt that we should have our own magazine and reviews from Ireland without everything priced in pounds. I made some mockups of what the Mag could look like. let me know. we could even create video blog. get some products that are just out and do video reviews. but that's another idea. let me know what you guys think. maybe I should create a new thread for this?

magazine2.JPG

magazine1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think you're better off creating a new thread rather than resurrecting an 8 year old one.

thread-resurrection-PTL.jpg

BloodBath wrote: »
    I think you're better off creating a new thread rather than resurrecting an 8 year old one.

Thanks Bloodbath, think I will create a new thread, Haven't got any response from this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No problem. The mock up looks great.

I'm not sure there is a market in Ireland for it though. Especially now since most people go online for their info. I haven't bought a pc magazine in donkeys years.

The site is nice too. How's it doing?

If you're looking for people to do write ups / reviews I might be interested.

BloodBath wrote: »
    No problem. The mock up looks great.

I'm not sure there is a market in Ireland for it though. Especially now since most people go online for their info. I haven't bought a pc magazine in donkeys years.

The site is nice too. How's it doing?

If you're looking for people to do write ups / reviews I might be interested.

The site is doing okay, its only been up a month. I think the more events I do, the bigger it will get.

and yeah if you can write reviews that would be great. any help you can give would be awesome. I can make you a admin account on the site, are you familiar with Joomla?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Reviews eh? Would we get samples sent to us? :D

By the way, did anyone notice that custompc.ie is the infamous custompc.ie that we (PC B&U) tell everyone to stay away from? I presume the company just bought the address, but still...

Eboggles wrote: »
    Reviews eh? Would we get samples sent to us? :D

By the way, did anyone notice that custompc.ie is the infamous custompc.ie that we (PC B&U) tell everyone to stay away from? I presume the company just bought the address, but still...

Hi mate, yeah of course you will get samples of the magazine. Anyone that helps me with reviews and articles I will be really grateful. At the moment It's only me and another lad from Carlow. Once I get enough articles for a full magazine layout I will print the first issue :) also I didn't notice that about custom pc. What was it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Valdez wrote: »
    Hi mate, yeah of course you will get samples of the magazine. Anyone that helps me with reviews and articles I will be really grateful. At the moment It's only me and another lad from Carlow. Once I get enough articles for a full magazine layout I will print the first issue :) also I didn't notice that about custom pc. What was it exactly?

I'd happily write a few reviews/articles for you, as long as it's not something about RAID, NAS Servers or something like that, as that stuff is boring!

Maybe I'll review a juicy graphics card, or watercooling kit? Or case? This sounds like fun :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement