Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteers needed for Jury duty Coroners Court Dublin City

Options
  • 23-04-2005 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

I need some volunteers for 27th April to act as Jury members for a Coroners Inquest.
    The location is Store Street beside Bus Aras and time is 2.30pm at most about 2 hours of your time would be taken up. Normally the courts organise there own juries, except for the Coroners Court where they leave up it to the investigating Gardai. This can prove difficult over time as a number of people have done it for me repeatedly in the past.

An inquest in Ireland is an official, public enquiry, presided over by the Coroner (and in some cases involving a jury) into the cause of a sudden, unexplained or violent death. If a death cannot be explained, an inquest may be held to establish the facts of the death, such as where and how death occurred. An inquest would not normally be held if a post-mortem examination of the body could explain the cause of death. Section 17 of the Coroners Act 1962 makes provision in law in Ireland for the holding of an inquest into a death.

Juror's are requested to listen to evidence and facts of a fatality, ask any questions they deem to be relevant to establish the full facts and determine a verdict and/or recommendations. (for instance a jury could recommend that a road traffic sign be adjusted, or some proceedures be put in place or changed). Nobody is found guilty or innocent at an inquest and no criminal or civil liability is determined. There are no "parties" and all depositions, postmortem reports and verdict records are preserved by the Coroner and are made available to the public.

Basically you would have to listen to peoples statements they made to the Gardai being read over in court , and any questions that the coroner may ask them ( usually only to clarify a point ), after this the jury would have to reach a decision on how/why the death ocurred , again the coroner would suggest, its normally something like, death by misadventure, accidental death , unlawful death etc etc . It should be over by 4.30 pm at the latest and while it is a court it is a lot more informal then reqular criminal, civil courts.

If you think you may be interested please pm me or pass on the request to any other possibe interested parties. No time wasters please this is a serious plea.

Thanks to the Politics Mods who have given me once off permission to post in the Politics Forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

vasch_ro wrote:
    I need some volunteers for 27th April to act as Jury members for a Coroners Inquest.
    The location is Store Street beside Bus Aras and time is 2.30pm at most about 2 hours of your time would be taken up. Normally the courts organise there own juries, except for the Coroners Court where they leave up it to the investigating Gardai. This can prove difficult over time as a number of people have done it for me repeatedly in the past.

An inquest in Ireland is an official, public enquiry, presided over by the Coroner (and in some cases involving a jury) into the cause of a sudden, unexplained or violent death. If a death cannot be explained, an inquest may be held to establish the facts of the death, such as where and how death occurred. An inquest would not normally be held if a post-mortem examination of the body could explain the cause of death. Section 17 of the Coroners Act 1962 makes provision in law in Ireland for the holding of an inquest into a death.

Juror's are requested to listen to evidence and facts of a fatality, ask any questions they deem to be relevant to establish the full facts and determine a verdict and/or recommendations. (for instance a jury could recommend that a road traffic sign be adjusted, or some proceedures be put in place or changed). Nobody is found guilty or innocent at an inquest and no criminal or civil liability is determined. There are no "parties" and all depositions, postmortem reports and verdict records are preserved by the Coroner and are made available to the public.

Basically you would have to listen to peoples statements they made to the Gardai being read over in court , and any questions that the coroner may ask them ( usually only to clarify a point ), after this the jury would have to reach a decision on how/why the death ocurred , again the coroner would suggest, its normally something like, death by misadventure, accidental death , unlawful death etc etc . It should be over by 4.30 pm at the latest and while it is a court it is a lot more informal then reqular criminal, civil courts.

If you think you may be interested please pm me or pass on the request to any other possibe interested parties. No time wasters please this is a serious plea.

Thanks to the Politics Mods who have given me once off permission to post in the Politics Forum.

Not to be confused here vasuch but ,aren't jurors legally summoned from the election register? Isnt that how jurors are selected at random?

Whats your involvement in this?

Are you involved in this on an offical capacity. Call me nuts, I'm just kind of suspicious about the courts trawling the internet looking for volunteers. Boards.ie doesn't represent a cross section of society, and if you are involved in the courts in a remotely offical capaicity, and therefore I view this request as someone approaching me in the pub asking me to preform jury duty.

Also. Store street is a garda station not a court, and I'm unclear why a coroners report would occur here and not not Smithfeld sq which is the standard court for cases in Store streets juristition.

If this is a genuine request I'm sure you'll be interested in exploring the implications of jury selection for such a serious issue via the internet, and you'll be able to provide the mods and admins with supporting evidence to back up your role in this. Furthermore you, the corners office, and the DPP will have considered the legal implications of trawling the internet for jurors, not to mention the media interest.

[edit]
    I've looked at a few posts of yours, I have a few garda contacts, i'm calling them monday, cause this is absurd, if it's true.
    [/edit]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

mycroft wrote:
    Also. Store street is a garda station not a court, and I'm unclear why a coroners report would occur here and not not Smithfeld sq which is the standard court for cases in Store streets juristition.

[/edit]

Coroners court is adjacent to Store st Garda Station so its in their District.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mycroft wrote:
    Not to be confused here vasuch but ,aren't jurors legally summoned from the election register? Isnt that how jurors are selected at random?

Whats your involvement in this?

Are you involved in this on an offical capacity. Call me nuts, I'm just kind of suspicious about the courts trawling the internet looking for volunteers. Boards.ie doesn't represent a cross section of society, and if you are involved in the courts in a remotely offical capaicity, and therefore I view this request as someone approaching me in the pub asking me to preform jury duty.

If this is a genuine request I'm sure you'll be interested in exploring the implications of jury selection for such a serious issue via the internet, and you'll be able to provide the mods and admins with supporting evidence to back up your role in this. Furthermore you, the corners office, and the DPP will have considered the legal implications of trawling the internet for jurors, not to mention the media interest.

If I can clear one thing up, the coroner's court is next door to the Garda station in Store Street.

The coroner's office sends out coroner's reports on cause of death and they set up inquests in the coroner's court if it deemed necessary.These reports are used to issue death certs where a doctor has not determined cause of death.

Chief--- wrote:
    Coroners court is adjacent to Store st Garda Station so its in their District.

I stand corrected. i'm curious about the implication of this court trawling for jurors on the internet.

mycroft wrote:
    I stand corrected. i'm curious about the implication of this court trawling for jurors on the internet.
    I wouldnt worry about it mycroft.
    You may have overlooked the part of his post where he thanked the pol mods for giving him permission to post this request.

This was given on a once off basis and arose out of this thread here and a discussion on the moderators board.
    I would suggest that anyone who is interested in this, pm the OP and they can investigate further and make their own arrangements from there.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    I wouldnt worry about it mycroft.
    You may have overlooke the part of his post where he thanked the pol mods for giving him permission to post this request.

This was given on a once off basis and arose out of this thread here and a discussion on the moderators board.
    I would suggest that anyone who is interested in this, pm the OP and they can investigate further and make their own arrangements from there.

Okay can we keep it open to discuss the ramifications of such a concept.

Advertisement