Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Toyotas !

• 23-04-2005 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Anybody noticed the increasing amount of old Toyotas appearing at classic car shows ?

In the last few years I have seen.... 1975 Corona, 1975 KE20, 1976 Carina, 1975 Celica,and several mk 1 Starlets - most recently an original Irish reg mk 1 Starlet at Castle Durrow Vintage Show.

How long until a Cressida or KE30 appear at a show ? :)

Cressida
    34gross.jpg

Mk1 Starlet
    23gross.jpg

Mk1 Starlet rear
    24gross.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Mk1 Starlet (red, dutch reg), Mk3 Starlet (white, german trade plate) and Corolla Hatchback (red, german reg)..........

ITT039.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

While I would not consider myself a fan of Japanese cars I do have a soft spot for the Carina Mk 1 – at least I think this was the first Carina marketed in Ireland. My first job was in a garage and I remember a Carina just like this one being in stock around that time - it was even in the same colour. I was impressed by the sharpness of the controls – and especially the brakes which I thought were very powerful. :D

carina1.bmpcarina2.bmpcarina3.bmp

At the top end of the scale this crown was being lacerated in all the motoring magazines at the time – much to my amusement, :D however I always found myself looking at these cars for some strange reason. I just found them interesting and different (if not very pretty) :o

crown.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There's one of those Crowns near Grannard (Co. Longford) Have seen it a couple of times parked outside someone's house. It's a 1975 reg but unfortunately it has been modded with lowered suspension and I think some extra chrome plating.

BrianD3

I recall a neighbour of mine having a Carina like that - bought almost new back then.

That's not the Mk1 though - I have a pic (somewhere!) of a Mk1 Carina I photographed at a show in The Curragh in the mid-nineties.

I liked the later - mid-eighties - Crown the best. Big 'square' yoke ! :D
    Don't recall seeing many early Crowns in Ireland (like the New Zealand reg one pictured above).

BrianD3 wrote:
    There's one of those Crowns near Grannard (Co. Longford) Have seen it a couple of times parked outside someone's house. It's a 1975 reg but unfortunately it has been modded with lowered suspension and I think some extra chrome plating.
    BrianD3

Sacrilige !!! :eek: :(

• Advertisement

The KE30 was an ugly dog when it was new and I still think the same today. :mad: My judgement may be clouded though because I crashed a lovely Fiat 128 3p trying to overtake one of these back in 1980 :o

ke30.jpg

Surely this bland bit of drivel (the KE70) will never become a classic? :rolleyes:

KE70.jpg

Ahh.........the good ole K30 !
    A true 'Irish classic' :)

I thought the original Cressida was OK too - liked the rear styling especially. The subsequent generation Cressida's though (can't remember how many) were true dogs :rolleyes:

crerssidarear.jpg

Yes, I like that Cressida also.
    Thats the rear view of the Cressida I posted above.

A local farmer had one of those when I was a kid - always thought they have an 'american' look about them ?!

There is a Cressida like that scrapped in a yard opposite Kildare Chilling Company on the outskirts of Kildare town (beside Heffernans Tyre Centre).

Also spotted a couple for sale recently in the Buy & Sell.

You're next project perhaps Alfa ? :rolleyes:

Advertisement