Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone change this?

Options
  • 23-04-2005 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Reply from a MOD
    The ability to edit a thread only lasts a short while, after this time a post cannot be edited.

If you copy and paste in the same thread and be clar about the amendments.

Why dont you just let people edit whenever they want its a bit stupid having a edit button if you can only use it once. I dont see how it can be a bad thing that members can edit their owns posts whenever they feel like it

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Reply from a MOD

Why dont you just let people edit whenever they want its a bit stupid having a edit button if you can only use it once. I dont see how it can be a bad thing that members can edit their owns posts whenever they feel like it
    Because in a high-tension debate people can change their posts and claim they never said anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

agree with doodle
    editing a post is really just to go back and fix grammar / links etc

not so you can change what you said at some point in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

out of curiosuty, how long is this short period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I think 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Because in a high-tension debate people can change their posts and claim they never said anything?

Ye but it should be allowed in certain areas such as the 'Shop' area do you not thing so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why? Its confusing if people just go and edit their original post, it breaks the flow of the thread, and people coming in anytime after the start would be confused because things that might have been taken out would be discussed. Just add a new post and let the thread flow naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

First, you may edit your post as many times as you like, not just once!

Second, the vbulletin setting is set at site level, not at forum level, it is not possible to allow different time limit settings per forum.

Thirdly The time limit for editing a post is 2880 minutes (48 hours - 2 days). Using a discussion forum is a less then ideal way to buy and sell items, we do our best and over the last 7 years people using the forums are in the main happy with the facilities we have made available to them, they keep evolving and Im sure within the next 7 years, we will have a better system which will likely allow people to edit their threads in the classified section, however for the moment its a low priority as you can update your thread as I described to you earlier.

Vex.

Vexorg wrote:
    First, you may edit your post as many times as you like, not just once!

Second, the vbulletin setting is set at site level, not at forum level, it is not possible to allow different time limit settings per forum.

Thirdly The time limit for editing a post is 2880 minutes (48 hours - 2 days). Using a discussion forum is a less then ideal way to buy and sell items, we do our best and over the last 7 years people using the forums are in the main happy with the facilities we have made available to them, they keep evolving and Im sure within the next 7 years, we will have a better system which will likely allow people to edit their threads in the classified section, however for the moment its a low priority as you can update your thread as I described to you earlier.

Vex.

Dont be stupid it might take all of 10 minutes to change the classifieds to allow people edit there posts when they like. Boards is a bit like ireladn a bit fuked up in areas and people not willing to fix it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh look the newbie knows best !!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Dont be stupid

If there was ever a case where taking your own advice would be a good idea, this qualifies..

If you are willing to make the necessary code adjustements for us, we would be delighted to accept your hard work, even better would be if you could pay for a programmers time to do so.

On a sererate note, I do not like to take unnecessary abuse from anyone, if you ever refer to me as "Stupid" or any other derogatory term you will find your self unable to use these forums.

Thanks

Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The main problem is that editing allows a user to delete their post, which if it is the start of the thread, will cause all the other user's post to get deleted too. We don't allow that.

Vexorg wrote:
    If you are willing to make the necessary code adjustements for us, we would be delighted to accept your hard work, even better would be if you could pay for a programmers time to do so.

On a sererate note, I do not like to take unnecessary abuse from anyone, if you ever refer to me as "Stupid" or any other derogatory term you will find your self unable to use these forums.

Thanks

Vex.

I didnt call you stupid i said 'Dont be stupid'

anyway i know im not getting anywhere here so can someone close this thread, thanks FN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just because you're finished talking about it, General, doesn't mean other people have to be too. There's no need for the thread to be closed. If people finish discussing the topic on this thread then it will die off of its own accord.

Personally, I think Vexorg's expectation of future improvements in the classifieds section is very promising. I agree with him (and Merc) that a bulletin board system isn't the most ideal medium for buying and selling items. Any future plug-in that allows for a more complete 'auction' style section of the site would be a good addition IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I didnt call you stupid i said 'Dont be stupid'
    Don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Gordon wrote:
    Don't be a dick.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Just choked on my coffee.

I think we may be going slightly off topic now...

Best to close

V.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement