Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Civil servants prefer cars to buses

• 23-04-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqid=4090-qqqx=1.asp
    Civil servants prefer cars to buses

17 April 2005 By Pat Leahy
    More than €30 million was paid out in tax-free travel expenses to civil and public servants in 13 government departments last year.

The amount paid out in mileage for private vehicles dwarfs the amount for public transport, according to replies to questions put by Green TD Eamon Ryan.

Of the 13 departments which furnished replies to Ryan's questions (health and communications failed to reply), two accounted for the bulk of the claims.

The Department of Agriculture paid just under €10 million in mileage to its civil servants last year. The amount of expenses paid for bus and rail travel was just €64,000.

The Department of Justice paid more than €10 million in total.

However, more than €7million of this total was paid to members of the Garda. Just €214,000 was paid out for public transport.

Ryan, the Green Party's transport spokesman, said the mileage culture was encouraging people to take their cars rather than public transport.

“We need to change the incentives to make public transport the first choice - maybe cap the Dublin-Cork mileage at the cost of a first class train ticket,” said Ryan.

“The bias towards cars is remarkable and is adding to our congestion problems, rather than easing them.”

The amounts paid by other departments in mileage last year were as follows:
    Social and Family Affairs: €2.14 million
    Foreign Affairs : €423,000
    Arts, Sport and Tourism: €74,000 plus €6,400 public transport
    Taoiseach : €89,000 plus €5,500 public transport
    Community, Rural and Gaeltacht: €244,000 plus €13,000 public transport
    Defence: €2.5 million plus €741,000 public transport
    Environment : €1.4 million plus €66,000 public transport
    Enterprise: €717,000 plus €55,000 public transport
    Education: €1.2 million plus €99,000 public transport plus €95,000 taxis
    Transport: €682,000 plus €4,000 public transport
    Finance: €108,000 plus €5,900 public transport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

“We need to change the incentives to make public transport the first choice - maybe cap the Dublin-Cork mileage at the cost of a first class train ticket,” said Ryan.
    I used to work for a largish company with an office in Limerick and one in Dublin which took this step. Suddenly almost everyone was happy to take the train. Before that it was pretty much just me (and I didn't have a car at the time) and one girl in the recruitment division that owned a Clio that took the train troute for inter-office meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I work in UCC, and the mileage on the Cork - Dublin and Cork - Belfats routes are capped at the cost of a train ticket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Would travelling in your own car not be cheaper than public transport.

ie taxi from home to train station - return ticket to destination town - taxi from train station in destination town to destination - taxi back to train station - taxi from home train station to home.

as opposed to own car to destination and back.

Your own car would be cheaper to be honest!!

Oh and the reason taxis are involved is if you have to be somewhere at 9/10 am in the morning a bus service will not always be available (have to be in cork by 10am travelling from dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Chief--- wrote:
    Would travelling in your own car not be cheaper than public transport.
    That's the problem. People can cream their organisations for the mileage and make a tidy 'profit' by using their own cars at 42p a mile! This doesn't mean they won't pay for taxis to the station too, but the idea is that you'll more than likely take pt which would be cheaper than them paying you full mileage for taking your own car. They have to pay you a healthy sum to take your car because you will have extra costs like wear and tear apart from petrol to cover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Department of Agriculture paid just under €10 million in mileage to its civil servants last year. The amount of expenses paid for bus and rail travel was just €64,000.
    0.64% :eek:
    Why first class ?
    At least make it only for higher grades ;)

Has anyone worked out how much extra milage will be needed because of decentralisation ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

0.64% :eek:
    Has anyone worked out how much extra milage will be needed because of decentralisation ??

According to the promoters of the scheme to coerce over 10,000 staff and their families to relocate into FF/PD constituencies, there will be no need for travel as everyone will use video-conferencing.

No money has been set aside for this nor has anyone bothered to find out if video-conferencing works.

C:\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

No money has been set aside for this nor has anyone bothered to find out if video-conferencing works.

Why would you need to put money aside to find out if it "works"? It's well proven technology! If there is no budget for training I'd be worried. Video-conferencing is a little difficult to get used to and some people will dislike it but it does work and has for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Why would you need to put money aside to find out if it "works"? It's well proven technology! If there is no budget for training I'd be worried. Video-conferencing is a little difficult to get used to and some people will dislike it but it does work and has for 10 years.

The physical technology of video conferencing may well be stable. But I think the point is people typically use it when there is some natural impediment to physical contact. No-one deliberately engineers a situation to create a need for video conferencing. Why would you spend money to separate people just so you could hand over more money for a load of technology and ongoing expense to enable them to communicate? Which is what the decentralisation plan amounts to, and no-one has yet come up with a precedent for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Why would you need to put money aside to find out if it "works"?

Erm, to buy the equipment and the bandwidth?

I've used videoconferencing, it barely works only for certain kinds of meeting and is totally unsuitable for informal meetings at somebody's desk. These are often the most productive.

Sometimes you just have to be there to be effective.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hmm.. If I want to use my car to go Cork - Dublin I can't unless there is a very compelling reason (never happened yet). I can drive but I'll only get the train fare and thats the situation for all civil servants.

People should also note that the bulk of mileage is for Field Staff and the like - these people visit multiple locations during their working day eg Dept Vets going on their rounds of meat factories or TB testing - for this type of travel public transport isn't an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

parsi wrote:
    People should also note that the bulk of mileage is for Field Staff and the like - these people visit multiple locations during their working day eg Dept Vets going on their rounds of meat factories or TB testing - for this type of travel public transport isn't an option.
    Fair enough, but some people will still contrive situations to maximise mileage, e.g. detectives who worked in the airport, but were based in city stations - this way they could claim mileage and lunch allowances. Of course when the Bank of Ireland in the airport was robbed there wasn't a timely response, despite the airport Garda station being only a few hundred metres away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In defense of the Department of Agriculture- a lot of their travel costs are associated with their inspectorate duties- i.e. farms have to be visited, checks have to be made etc. It is also the most decentralised of all the Government Departments already, with in excess of 85% of its staff based outside Dublin.

If Public transport is a viable option- i.e. if the journey in question is between Dublin and Cork- certainly cap the trip at the price of a train ticket. However, in the case of the above Department- were you to check, I think you would find a lot of their travel was not to locations convenient for public transport.

Also- re: 40p per mile "raking in a tidy profit"......
    According to the AA- assuming an average sized car, and less than 10,000km work related travel per annum, you would have to be getting over 80 cent per mile to cover costs......

http://www.aaireland.ie/toptips/costofmotoring2004.asp

Shane

Advertisement