Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden Next generation

Options
  • 23-04-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox/1854/Madden-NFL-NextGen-Commercial/

this is rumoured to launch on xbox 360 this december. EA have actually said they were wary about releasing this commercial today, as they reckon the graphics arent as impressive as they will be in the final game. :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I wouldn't be all that surprised if the EA comment is bullsh*t, but if the graphics shown in the clip are anything like the end result of a launch title (which never come close to a machines potential) made by developers known for shovelling out half-rate piles of poo then things are looking good, even though most of that clip seemed to consist of movies rather than in game footage (then again, if Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft show us some far out stuff at E3 we might look at this and think it's a half-rate pile of poo in comparison!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ya what?

looks sweet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

flogen wrote:
    made by developers known for shovelling out half-rate piles of poo

Have you ever played any of the Madden Series before? It's been consistently the best in its genre for about a decade, both in terms of playability and graphics, and only in the last year or two has anyone(and there's been many many many attempts) made an American Football game to match it.

From looking at the clip, if it was a generated movie they could have made it look a lot better, I reckon it's in-game graphics mixed with some 'touch-ups', but photo-realism is expected of the new consoles so I don't think those graphics are in any way unfeasable. On paper games should look comfortably better than anything on PCs today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

ESPN NFL 2K5 was pretty magnificent. And it was budget in the states. Now that EA have slain the competition I don't expect Madden series to improve in any area other than graphically.

They're going to start upping the software price too. The more they push towards realism the larger the teams get and the longer the hours they have to work. Next gen games are really going to suck the way the current development model is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Photorealism takes alot of man hours.

Sometimes I think publishers are just using that as an excuse - photo realism on an ultra-powerful system shouldn't take as many man hours as trying to construct great graphics with limited resources, I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Well look at the number of people working on Pixar movies. If that's what you're aiming to look like then you need a phenominally large art department. Hundreds and hundreds of people. 8 figure budgets.

I'm hoping independant gaming catches on a little bit in the next few years. It's not that I don't like blockbusters but a little variety would be nice.

Will Wright (maker of the Sims, Sim City etc) is working on a game at the moment called Spore. He's trying to demonstrate how you can make a big, involving game universe with just a handful of programmers and no artists, animators etc.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html

If more independant developers took this approach they could maybe make a game for a few hundred thousand euro, sell a 250,000 units at €20 and call it a big success. Doesn't that sound alot more appealing than spending €70 on the next gen EA updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Everyone is going to look the same in the final version too :(

steviec wrote:
    Have you ever played any of the Madden Series before? It's been consistently the best in its genre for about a decade, both in terms of playability and graphics, and only in the last year or two has anyone(and there's been many many many attempts) made an American Football game to match it.

Apologies, I wasn't making reference to that game in perticular but more EA's games in general. I haven't played Madden or any American football game so can't comment on it in perticular, EA are just become more and more known for making the same games again and again and making them as much an average affair as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I seriosuly doubt they will start charging 70e for next gen titles. If they do they seriosuly deserve to have people rip them off buying pirate software or downloading it instead. Big games are making more than movies these days so there is no excuse for raising prices even if production costs have gone up.

BloodBath

While I don't know much about production in games I'd have to say that the cost of making games probably won't go up as technology will make more detail easier to accomplish, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and tell us that it has become more expensive to make, rising the price of games to 70 quid plus (and if the rise is made by distributors then the internet market will be effected to) is only going to serve to stunt the growth of what is becoming the single biggest piece of the entertainment markets. If they had any sense they'd keep things as they are, they're lucky to be getting away with such stupid retail prices as it stands (altough a lot of that lies at the retail outlets, not that they'd absorb and price hike)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

ESPN NFL 2K5 was pretty magnificent.

Best football game ever, so annoid that there wont be a 2k6.

I actually bought Madden 2005, played it for a whole day, and went back to Nfl 2k4. Tried a few time since, but the gameplay is terrible in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've been reading so much about how that video is amazing and how next gen "roxx0rz" etc.etc.

it's bloody pre-rendered
    give me something that is worth seeing for god sake. plus, it's ea. who cares about ea really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It looks really plain and boring to me tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

i've been reading so much about how that video is amazing and how next gen "roxx0rz" etc.etc.

it's bloody pre-rendered
    give me something that is worth seeing for god sake. plus, it's ea. who cares about ea really?

They are in game shots. The guys do look all the same in the final version aswell. Lazy bastards.

Advertisement