Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Form Processing Help

Options
  • 23-04-2005 10:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've set up a page with a form, its used as a handy template for filling in details and then getting it emailed to you in a structure for archiving. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can set it up so that I have a field in the form where the user can input their email address, and the form will then process the info and send it to that adddress - as in, not to the preset one in the form, but a different one each time.

As I don't have scripts on my server, I'm using a free processing service from www.formprocessors.com - it works perfectly if you just want the info sent to the preset address, but I want to be able to specify the address that it goes to - i.e. so multiple people can use the same page, but get the info sent to themselves at their email address.

I hope this makes sense... anyone know how I can do this?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you don't have any control over the script I doubt if you'll be able to change the options to be honest.
    If you don't have access to some form of server-side scripting (php/perl/asp etc) then you should change provider.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks Blacknight.
    Does anyone know of a free service that allows this, or would anyone be kind enough to allow me to use theirs? Only need it for a very light use, putting forward an idea for work, and if I get the go ahead I will then get better hosting with proper scripting etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If it is for very light use, I may be able to help you. Can you put up what form elements you need in the form (or preferably the code itself)?

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmmm, I could see this being abused if it's open to the public. eg. Muppet X thinks it'd be a great idea to send 5000 form results to Muppet Y's inbox... or worse, used for marketing spam.
    Forgive me if this is patronising, but I think it's good to keep possible abuse in mind when you're setting up this kind of thing... having your mail server blacklisted because someone else using the service got 0wned by spammers is a pain in the tits for all concerned.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes you are right this should be kept in mind... Thanks for the generous offers guys I wil be back to you very soon. I only need it for light use, as I had an idea for work and just wanted a working version. I made one that works but it only sends the information to me. Anyway, I showed a few people and they liked it so hopefully I can get work to host it. Have a meeting this morning will let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zascar wrote:
    Only need it for a very light use, putting forward an idea for work, and if I get the go ahead I will then get better hosting with proper scripting etc.
    Could you set up a webserver on a machine in the office? Apache is easy to set up and administer. Then you wouldn't have the security/abuse issues as if it were open to the public.
    eoin_s wrote:
    If it is for very light use, I may be able to help you. Can you put up what form elements you need in the form (or preferably the code itself)?
    You could put the form and cgi under basic authentication password protection (.htaccess style on Apache). Would only need one user/password that Zascar would tell those in the office.

Advertisement