Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass Technique

• 23-04-2005 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having problems. Whenever I'm playing bass I start to get a pain in the wrist of my picking hand. It's not related to the speed as it occurs at all tempoes. Is it just an endurance problem or is there something more fundamentally wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I dunno. But i get an awful pain in the side of my thumb when i play slap (all the time:D). I guess im not used to playing it that much because guitar is my main instrument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I used to get serious pains in my fretting hand when I started off playing bass, then moved to guitar, then after a while, got a bass again, and it didn't seem to bother me anymore at all. What I'm trying to say is, it's probably just an endurance problem, as you put it. So don't worry.

Leastways, not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Make sure you do some stretches to loosen up the muscles and tendons in your fingers before playing bass. Pull back on your fingers (the opposite way that they normally bend) and then push them down (the way the normally bend). Don't crack the knuckles.

Yeah, just practice really, build up stamina/strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

maybe try a wrist support or even a really tight sweat band might help.. its the same as any exercise u do without warming up (phsically now not playin scales or whatever) that should help

• Advertisement

jcoote wrote:
    a really tight sweat band might help..

Hahaha! like Mark Knopfler! That is soooo 80's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You may very well have something wrong in your technique. How low do you play the bass? Make sure your wrist is neutral (ie not at a constant angle), it's all ergonomics. It may look gay to play your bass high but it is easier on your body.

Also, how do you hold the plec? Are you moving your wrist up and down to strike the notes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe youre holding the plec too tight. Try playing for a while and try to observe how hard you are playing and if you are squeezing it, just concentrate on relaxing, as oxymoronic as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I play with fingers. It happens when I play sitting down mostly, so it can't be that I'm playing it too low. I find it less stressful when I play standing as it is swung quite low.

OK rule #1: Always play and practice at the same height. There is no point practicing sitting down if, when you stand up, the bass is in an entirely different position. All your positioning and endurance is thrown out the window. Either practice standing up (looks over technique) or shorten your strap (technique over looks).

When you play sitting down, do you have your right hand arched over tha bass so your wrist is at a 90 degree angle? This is bad. Very bad. Position your arm so that your arm is coming in from almost behind the bridge so your wrist is fairly neutral, see if this helps.

• Advertisement

Coming from behind the bridge would be grand if I used a pick but since I use fingers I'm playing from above. It is kind of at a ninety degree angle when play sitting down alright. How should I play then?

Move your elbow more over/behind the bridge, I'm afraid. It takes a bit of getting used to but is straightforward enough. It also makes three finger playing much more straightforward. Playing with your wrist bent 90 degrees is just begging for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, you're putting far too much stress on your ligaments.

Doctor J wrote:
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    They dont call him a doctor for nothing.

****, I should've said CTS and put Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in brackets ;)

Doctor J wrote:
    ****, I should've said CTS and put Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in brackets ;)
    And a link! Dont forget the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

holy zhit,i just read up loads on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and i definitly have it.....who knew :(

Should I not be licking with fingers perpendicular to the strings? :confused:

Not if it means you're straining your wrist. Find another way while keeping your wrist as neutral as possible.

Should I worry that my bass is currently in Spain?

Please tell me it's just a step on the journey.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Where was it coming from and how was it shipped?

• Advertisement

Coming from California via USPS. Any ideas?

How long has it been in Spain for? Perhaps all Europe bound USPS mail is routed through Spain first?

It arrived there yesterday. I'm hoping that's the case. It'd make sense in a way, seeing as USPS is an American comapny they might be switching couriers or somesuch.

Ah, I'd say give it til the weekend. If it's still sitting in Spain, start worrying :p

I wonder if it's posible to nuke one house in Los Angleles if he's ****ed me over... I have his address. :D:p;)

Dog turd in a Tiffany's box :p

Na, I'd say if it's arrived in Spain, he'll have sent it. Hang on, don't GLS handle all USPS shipments? Or did they loose the contract? Cos if they didn't, they'll sting you for taxes and the drivers don't carry change.

Nice system... What taxes will they get me for other than VAT and Duty?

Probably a nice tenner for "handling fees" I think. AFAIK though, they've lost the contract.

That's fairly normal I think. Some stuff I had shipped over from the states went to Germany first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah I don't think it's out of the ordinary. I've never ordered anything big from America but I've had a few cd's go to Germany and France before coming here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Should I worry that my bass is currently in Spain?

Please tell me it's just a step on the journey.

Ola senor, please do not worry....ees in safe hands. :D

*kicks Outshined in balls* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Just playing with you dude, I'm sure it's like the guys said and they're just using Spain as a distribution centre. You'll probably get it in the next week or so.

Yeah I know, hence the :p . I thought that was probably the story but I was just a tad worried.

Advertisement