Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless access point v Wireless router?

Options
  • 24-04-2005 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me:
    Whats the difference between a Wireless access point and a wireless router?
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of both?
    I currently have a cheapo 11mbps access point which works fine for internet but it's crap at transferring large files between pc's.
    I've been looking at various Netgear and Lynksys models of both and both routers and access points have similiar specs but the routers are more expensive.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Kevin
    If a mod wants to move this to the wireless forum, feel free. I wasn't sure where to put it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A device that's just a wireless access point is just that - a wireless access point. A wireless router is generally a DSL/cable router and wireless access point in one box. Most of these will require a seperate dsl/cable modem with an ethernet interface to use the router (really a NAT gateway) features, but some of the more expensive ones will have the modem built in as well. Many will also come with integrated 4-port ethernet switches.
    If you don't want to use a wireless router as a router for your internet connection, you can just use it as a wireless access point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Generally, if you already have a DSL Modem with router built in and you just want wireless you should get a WAP, theyre cheaper and you dont get conflicts/compatibility issues ....

e.g. I connected a d-link wireless router (no DSL modem) to a netgear router (because it had a modem) but could not turn off the NAT or firewall etc in the either box .... what ended up happening was that I could browse most webpages but some would not work at all (gmail, ebay etc etc) and some applications refused to work.... very very annoying ... problem solved by just getting a dsl modem with no fancy NAT or firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks Lads :D

Advertisement