Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

128K upload, an issue for how many?

• 24-04-2005 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

How many of you actually have real issues with 128K upload?

128K upload good - bad? 125 votes

Yes, I upload/use online services that require fast upload, 128K ruins my online experience
    0%
    No, I don't really notice it much, doesn't really matter to me
    100%
    GonzoNexusSnowbatCivilian_TargetTazzledaveirlSpunog UIEpo0kPiE-ADREN-PeteerJorinnDasilva94TurnerjoolsveerStarkKristokCabaalGibletincubus 125 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Irishpimp

lol course i do but what is the point on starting yet another topic on this????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

As do I. I need at least 256, pref 512 or more.

Petition already started by yours truly on this subject, got nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ah, my appologies if someone else already started a similar thread, didn't notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Irishpimp

i know but the topic was locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

For the amount of uploading i do, 128 is terrible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the slow upload

-the isps dont want it changed (more bandwidth)
    -the telcos dont want it changed (voip)
    -the hosting community dont want it changed (self hosting)
    -most customers dont want it changed (dont know about it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

considering you can get equivalent hosting for €3 / month, i dont think i would go to the trouble of hosting websites etc on my home DSL conenction instead of with a hoster lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's nice to have a bit of upload for managing that website though, or for impromptu hosting of game servers, webcasts, video conferencing, VoIP, just about anything that requires an ounce of bandwidth.

128K is not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

it should be 256 for 1mb and 512 for 2. that is the way it is in the uk, i think?

oh i know, and i still think 128K isnt enough but im saying i wouldnt want it just so i could host my website lol, nor would i host my website on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yeah, I think 256 should be the minimum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

voip, webserving, remote connections, ftp uploads etc. etc.

I'd happily give up half my 2mbps to get 512kbps upload personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

they wont move from 128 for a while as it would make voip viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

VOIP equals less profits for eircom.
    (example - I can ring my family in the US for 1 euro per hour on VOIP, but if I used my eircom landline, it would cost approx 20 yoyos an hour)
    Voip will start to eat serious profits from eircom soon, and I'd imagine they would do anything to slow the takeup of VOIP in Ireland.
    Limiting their "broadband" upload speed to (a laughable )128k seems to be one tactic, abeit a very low and underhand one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Do you think maybe the fact that you can use VoIP over 128kbps makes the whole VoIP conspiracy is a bit weak? And you can use Telestunt and get similar rates without bothering with VoIP, by the way.

The reason they limit the upload speed is simply to cut down on bandwidth requirements so they can make more money or offer a more competitively priced product, depending on how you want to look at it. Eircom also has an interest in protecting leased line revenue, which is overpriced in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I've found VOIP more expensive than Telestunt.ie on several calls... If anyone can get me a cheaper price than they offer over VOIP to Mexico let me know!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

the very limited upload speed hampers my online usage a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

128k up sux

cannot download something and play a game at the same time.

from time to time a mate of mine brings over his laptop so we can play some HL2 deathmatch or CSS + other games....not with 128k you cant, pings shoot right up from 30-40 for a single person on a pretty full uk server, to (if you lucky) under 100 for 2 people on an almost empty uk server, just not viable having 128k upload if your a gamer and want to use a network.

I'm on IOLBB+ with 2mb line, could be playing away on my own but if anyone on the network is browsing, i know about it, wtf are they playing at, they multply the download speed by 4, only increase the cap by 50% and leave the upload on 128k, muppets the hole lot of em.

i would gladly give up the 2mb line and go to 1mb/512k, hell i'd even consider a 512k/512k if the price was right and there was'nt a ridiculous cap on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BB is shared in my house to two computers via wireless LAN and the 128k upload is a real bitch. If one wants to play online games then the other really can't do anything. I'd really like to see an increase, even to 256k, on the upload.

Quadroupling the download speed but leaving the upload the same was just a stupid thing to do IMO.

Also, I can't see how 256k upload on DSL would actually effect Eircom's leased line business, surely leased lines have a bit more bite than this. Also, what's Smart's excuse for keeping 128k upload? Or do Smart have a leased line business too, I don't know.

Closest thing to leased line that they do LOL.
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/corporate/products/internet.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ryshandyr

Hey guys. I have IOLBB plus (2Mb Down/128k Up) and even though the upstream sucks I still quite happily can use VOIP without any problems.

I use Smoothwall with the QoS add-on and just configure my rules so that if It detects an outbound VOIP connection that it throttles all other outbound traffic until the call is completed. It took a little fiddling to get it working but now it gives my VOIP connection priority and just throttles any uploads I currently have.

I'm never on the phone for long enough that the upload would be affected by a reduced upload rate for a few mins.

There's other alternatives too if you don't want SmoothWall but check it out anyway; http://www.smoothwall.org

/Rysh

jor el wrote:
    Also, what's Smart's excuse for keeping 128k upload? Or do Smart have a leased line business too, I don't know.

Smart's "excuse" is, as I've already mentioned, that by keeping the upload speed low they can offer a cheaper service. Seems they believe that people are more interested in download speeds and a low price.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Smart's "excuse" is, as I've already mentioned, that by keeping the upload speed low they can offer a cheaper service. Seems they believe that people are more interested in download speeds and a low price.

well as you see from the poll the majority wants a better upload even if it means sucrificing download speed

Great. I'm calling Smart now to tell them the news. You can expect a new product announcement before the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Blaster99 wrote:
    Great. I'm calling Smart now to tell them the news. You can expect a new product announcement before the end of the day.
    Blaster99,

Thanks for the call. It'll be a bit of a push to a get the new services up and running for close of business. But since everyone wants it.....;-)

Garfield.

or else, seeing as they say most people dont need the extra upload, then there wouldnt be full usage of the 256k up, thus making it less expensive to implent,

or maybe this,
    2M/128K for €30 ( including the free line rental )
    2M/256K for €40 ( including the free line rental )
    3M/512K for €65 ( including the free line rental ) w/ static ip

considering leased lines have at least 2MBit upload, there is still plenty of room there, and most SDSL offerings are 1MBit and up.

I am pretty sure that with such a lineup , Smart could wipe the floor with any competition.

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I don't upload a lot but when i do Its usually a batch of my latest digital camera pictures to be printed and when im sending 150 images @ 3-8mb each 128k is just so slow.

Blaster99,

Thanks for the call. It'll be a bit of a push to a get the new services up and running for close of business. But since everyone wants it.....;-)

Garfield.

Garfield, seriously, PLEASE! raise upload speeds, I'm sure most of the guys here would pay a little extra to get 256kb/s or 512kb/s(I personally would pay 50-70 euro for 2048/512)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Blaster: 128k up is ine for VOIP if your running skype/etc exclusively. But what if someone else on the network is playing games or surfing. In my experience calls get dropped and patchy if your upload is 128k, *unless* there is nothing else at all using any upload bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

CyberGhost wrote:
    Garfield, seriously, PLEASE! raise upload speeds, I'm sure most of the guys here would pay a little extra to get 256kb/s or 512kb/s(I personally would pay 50-70 euro for 2048/512)
    CyberGhost,

50-70 euro on top of 35 euro for 2048/128?

If not, would you expect free line rental included in the price?

From a technical perspective, it's just point and click to change profiles (upload/ download/ interleaving), so we could do it. I'ld have to make sure we could bill it, but I'm sure that's possible. After that it's about how much can your line handle.

The profile I'm on is 'Line Speed' with interleaving off, so it's pretty much down to the quality of the connection between me and the exchange.

If we were offering higher speeds, people would have to understand that their profile is set on the DSLAM, but their end experience would have a lot to do with the quality of the copper pair. We certainly don't want to create headaches for all concerned because you're not getting the 10MB/1MB you're paying us for.

Garfield.

Advertisement