Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wax staining black plastic + removing TAR

Options
  • 24-04-2005 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Maybe this is not the most suitable forum for these items, as I do not own a classic car, but I have 2 questions that I hope car enthusiasts can answer.

1 I have used wax on my car and it has left a white stain on the plastic door trim, door handles, black bumper etc. ? What is the best way to remove this (I have heard of a product called 'black chrome', is this any good?

2 After doing alot of driving recently TAR has been deposited on the bottom of doors etc.?
    Is it best to remove this using petrol?
    Thanks
    Goll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Any plastic cleaner/shine should get the wax off. I've used Simoniz cockpit cleaner for this. Spray it on a cloth and rub the plastic till the wax disappears.

As for tar spots, I suppose you could use petrol. Personally I use a cloth soaked with WD40.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

For removing wax from plastic, a product like Armour All plastic shine is one option.

Try and avoid plastic trim when waxing if at all possible. Or better still choose a polish that will not stain plastic trim.

For removing tar spots, the best choice is white spirits.
    Just rub it on and let it soak in - then rub it off with a clean cloth.
    (I usually rub it on to the whole side of my car, then by the time I reach the end of that side, I return to the front and rub it off again. Brilliant stuff !)

Advertisement