Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help : Wireless home network won't do DNS

• 24-04-2005 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently setup a wireless network in my house. All went fine except for the main PC.

Here's my setup.
    =============
    * ZyXEL ADSL modem
    * WAP54G access point [static IP in the x.x.x.200 range]
    * Both connected to a Netgear router

They work fine

As clients I have
    =============
    * XDA2 with Socket SDIO wi-fi card
    * IBM Thinkpad T41 laptop with Centrino for Wi-fi [winxp sp2]
    * Main home PC with Linksys WMP54G PCI card [winxp sp2]

Everything is in the same room, beside each other, until I get it setup. The XDA2 works all around the house, though.

The ZyXEL is setup as a DHCP server and every devuce, except the access point, is set to DHCP.

I only received the WMP54G a day or two ago, so initially the home pc was wired to the router. Al was fine. I could surf from all devices, ping etc..

When the WMP54G arrived, it took a while to configure and wouldn't install properly so I left it for a day or so. Then today the wireless card just connected, out of the blue, so I unplugged the CAT5. Now I'm getting all sorts of problems.

On my laptop, I can surf to various websites but some I can't. Boards.ie is fine. Goole.ie won't come up at all. On my main PC, I can also surf or ping any site by IP address but not by name.

My XDA will now, not surf by name either.

It looks like a DNS problem but the ZyXEL does all that and the laptop surfs fine to some sites.

I'm lost but not a noob to networking.

Suggestions would be appriciated as I think I need a fresh perspective on this.

Regards
    /Me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just a few more things I've noticed

MSN Messanger doesn't work on my home PC now but Half Life 2 Deatchmatch online does. Steam logs in and I can connect to games.

Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

run cmd then ipconfig /all on everything then post all back here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

zod wrote:
    run cmd then ipconfig /all on everything then post all back here

I Zod,

Thanx for the reply.

I went in to make some brekkie. Hmmmm, Fry's are gorgeous. Anywway, I came back in here after to check for replies and guess what. Everything is up to full speed.

I can DNS no problem now on the home PC. Maybe I was just being impatient and maybe "things" just needed time to sort themselves out.

FYI, I did an ipconfig /all on both computers to compare but all things matched up except the normal ip and MAC.

Thanx fr the reply anyway :)

Advertisement