Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licence over 21's bull

Options
  • 24-04-2005 3:39pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can an off licence legally not serve you under the reasons...sorry we only serve over 21's?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

On a further note, can anywhere legally specify over 21's??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

No and no but it's civil law so gardai can do **** all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

as far as i know they cant LEGALLY do it (ie.cant take legal action) but they can choose to only serve over 21s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, if its a private company, they can refuse whoever they want as long as its not considered discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Of course they can do it.
    Pubs/clubs anywhere can do it, with whatever age they want, once they do it across the board, and they have to have a sign up saying so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

So if you want in to a pub an the bouncer stops you, checks your I.D., see's your 18 an says sory, over 21's, you cant do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blisterman wrote:
    Yeah, if its a private company, they can refuse whoever they want as long as its not considered discrimination.

Saying over 21's only is clearly age discrimination though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KieranCasey

It is illegal under discrimination legislation to stop someone of legal age purchase alcohol or enter a licenced premises, however it is up to the individual to prove their age, and a garda id card is the only legal proof of your age acceptable, (even a pasport is not legally acepted!!!!) they can however refuse you on other grounds, i.e they think you may cause trouble etc.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You can be refused, but you have to be show a sign in sight of entering the age that is allowed, and also a drinks price list.
    On another note about getting served alchol(cans&bottles) if you're over 18 and have garda id youre legally allowed to purchase it without hassle, unless you have caused trouble before

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why would an off licence want to be over 21s anyway ? surely they would love ALOT of buiseness ? I can understand a pub or club wanting an older crowd but an off licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Never seen a stand alone off licence being over 21s, would be stupid for business. Although I think some supermarket off-licences do it for some reason, probably have been stung before for selling underage.

Off licences aren't supposed to sell you alcohol if you're intoxicated already.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

It is illegal under discrimination legislation to stop someone of legal age purchase alcohol or enter a licenced premises, however it is up to the individual to prove their age, and a garda id card is the only legal proof of your age acceptable, (even a pasport is not legally acepted!!!!) they can however refuse you on other grounds, i.e they think you may cause trouble etc.....
    Kieran,

It took you almost two years to make your first post! Congratulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

over 23 in Superquinn i think it was. some joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Ah sure they are only selling bottles of lanbrisco to grannies and grandads. Why would they need anyone buying cider?

Philbert wrote:
    Kieran,

It took you almost two years to make your first post! Congratulations :D
    Wow, he must have really meant what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Mossy Monk wrote:

I actually mailed Feargal Quinn about this a good while ago - even though it looks like they'll only serve people over 23 from their signs, the policy is actually that they'll ID anyone who looks under 23, but you only need to be 18. Or, that was the policy before our beloved McDowell changed the equal status act to make some more equal than others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

AFAIK - A "PRIVATE MEMBERS CLUB" (any place that requires membership OR the payment of an "entry fee" for the same) can refuse anyone they like on age grounds (among others). Fun-Nazi McDowell chaged the legislation on that one.

A "PUB" or "OFF-LICENCE" is not the same and cannot (AFAIK) refuse on age grounds.

All the above is only as far as I know. I'm sure there is some legal head who can clarify (Sangre?).

kas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Lenny wrote:
    You can be refused, but you have to be show a sign in sight of entering the age that is allowed
    AFAIK it's illegal to refuse people over 18 on the basis of their age. But it's civil law as LadyJ says, so you can't call the cops on them. But it is definitely illegal, private company or no, signposted or no, to refuse an over-18 on the basis of age. Any bouncer telling you that just doesn't like your face, or just feels like being a prick. You have the right to demand a valid reason, but lots of luck tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

A bar can legally set it's age limit to anywhere between 18 and 21 as long as they have a sign up to say what the age limit is. They lost this law ages ago but the new legislation that came in when the closing time on Thursdays went back to 11.30 reinstated this rule.

Pubs also have the right to refuse you with no reason. So there's nothing you can do about it.

Also this is about the 50th thread I've read on here about the age limit in pubs/off licences...

• Advertisement

ExOffender wrote:
    AFAIK it's illegal to refuse people over 18 on the basis of their age. But it's civil law as LadyJ says, so you can't call the cops on them. But it is definitely illegal, private company or no, signposted or no, to refuse an over-18 on the basis of age. Any bouncer telling you that just doesn't like your face, or just feels like being a prick. You have the right to demand a valid reason, but lots of luck tbh.
    The way you deal with them is to object to the renewal of their pub licence. Its the prefered method of knackers who are refused service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Complete and utter sh!te

The Equality Act (can't remember which one) was amended recently to allow pubs and clubs to refuse entry on age gounds as long as it is applied unilaterally and non-discriminatory (i.e. can't refuse someone by saying their under 21 and then letting a 19 year old in). There must also be a sign outside the establishment stating this policy along with the age.
    Also since a club, by definition is a club (as in private) it can refuse for whatever reason and doesn't have to say why. Although I think if it does give a reason it can't be discriminatory...
    Think thats pretty much it...

Oh this also applies to off-licenses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tusky wrote:
    Why would an off licence want to be over 21s anyway ? surely they would love ALOT of buiseness ?
    Nope, this is Ireland, remember? *hic*

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ExOffender wrote:

So who can you call, or is it an unenforcable law?

I don't if it is in fact civil law or Garda powers on the matter but you can take a civil case seeking damages or specific perfomance etc. Damages would be the most likely result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

THERE THERE CHILDREN... don't fuss so! :cool:

Sangre wrote:
    I don't if it is in fact civil law or Garda powers on the matter but you can take a civil case seeking damages or specific perfomance etc. Damages would be the most likely result
    The biggest weapon is the objection to the licence renewal. No Licence no business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

so...if i complain will i get anywhere, i spoke to the manager and he started waffling bout the managers discretion crap bla bla, i wasnt drunk and just wanted some beer...sniffle.Super Valu Deansgrange by the way it was... bunch of spas :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

chump wrote:
    Complete and utter sh!te

it took him 2 years of lurking to pluck up the courage to post that.

a bit harsh? :)

Advertisement