Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a racehorse....

• 24-04-2005 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

i am thinking of getting a little syndicate together (8-10 people) and buyinga race horse for nationa hunt. I'm not looking for Arkle just something cheapish that will give us few laughs and maybe a win or two. does anyone know where the best place to buy(an ex flat horse would be fine) and which trainer to use. would be looking to spend 8,000 max on horse and the cheap training fees as well. any info appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I would say that if you wanted a horse (ex flat) i would have him in training with M Halford.His training fees are reasonable and he is a mighty fine trainer. And the best place to buy a horse would be off a racehorse trainer in ireland.If you want a cheapish horse(ex flat) i would look no futher than pat flynn's yard.Mainly because he has alot of flat horses with talent around 1 mile 4 furlongs which means they should stay 2 mile over jumps and to be honest he is a terrible trainer who hasnt had a winner since traverse.Which means he isnt bringing out the horses best abilitys.He used train Delphie Queen who has gone to england and won 2 high class races and pat flynn couldnt get a win out of it.I know cause i used to ride out for pat flynn and M Halford.Halford will turn a bad horse into a good horse.Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

thanks,

it doesn't have to be a ex flat, a horse bred for NH would be great as long as it doesn't cost too much. Whats the best way to go about buying a horse without looking like a mug. What price would you say a 4yo in training for next season would cost (half decent standard)

It all depends on the breeding of the horse and if he ever ran on the flat before.I would say that if you got a horse out of fourstars allstar(Which is a good sire that breeds good flat staying horses that go on to run over hurdles).Around 6000 for a decent horse and another 2000 a year for fee's.Friend of mine bought a horse out of fourstars allstar and it won 2 races(Koln stars).Or if you want a good stayer that will jump a fench i would in vest in a horse out of roseiler.Its up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

sorry for wrecking your head with all these questions,

who do i contact to buy a roselier son and does the 2000 training fees only or would vet bills, licenses etc be extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

http://www.hri.ie/racehorse_ownership/sixsteps.asp#trainer

good info site, it says here fees are are 13,500 a year

• Advertisement

allin-king wrote:
    who do i contact to buy a roselier son and does the 2000 training fees only or would vet bills, licenses etc be extra

I meant 2000 for each member of the syndicate. Also roselier died in 1998,the only son you can get out of roselier would be a 7 or 8 year old.I would go with a bob back son or a fourstars allstars if i had to buy the horse but i dont know who to contact except look up some racehorse trainers website's.

Advertisement