Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite poet on the 2005 English course?

Options
  • 24-04-2005 6:47pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering who everyone's favourite poet to answer on is. There's another thread about who you think is going to come up, this time I'm asking who would you like to come up! It's multiple choice so choose up to three poets you like answering on
    Personally, my favourite poets to answer on are Dickinson, Heaney and Longley

Who's your favourite poet to answer on? 56 votes

Eavan Boland
    0% 0 votes
    Emily Dickinson
    10% 6 votes
    T.S. Eliot
    42% 24 votes
    Seamus Heaney
    7% 4 votes
    Patrick Kavanagh
    10% 6 votes
    Michael Longley
    17% 10 votes
    William Wordsworth
    5% 3 votes
    W.B. Yeats
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Favourite poet not poets

Why is it multiple choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Personally like Dickinson, find her really easy to answer on. That propbably isn't a good thing though-seeing as she is very popular, might make her harder to do well in!!
    I like Heaney and Boland aswell, but tbh i havent even read some of the poems we're doing by the earlier poets-no interest in learning them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Yeat's is the man. Such a way with words, such vision, such brilliancce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yeah I said yeats too. Buy only because theres lots to write about him, and quotes are easy to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Kavanagh is my favourite, I also like Yeats and Heaney. I'm surprised so many have voted for Dickinson I find her hard to answer on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

Dickinsons and Boland are very easy to write on I find because their poems are just really interesting and have hidden messages etc. I also don't mind Yeats because his poems are quite good too- I love Wild Swans of Coole which no-one else seems to like and yes I know it's simple but having been there it really is as beautiful as it sounds in the poem! Also it bugs me when people say that Yeats was sexist etc because of the way he talks about women but wasn't that the norm of the time?

Heaney annoys me so much! I mean all he talks about is potatoes! And he seems to do a load of waffle in his poems. Puts me to sleep..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭|Referee|

Jane Doe wrote:
    Dickinsons and Boland are very easy to write on I find because their poems are just really interesting and have hidden messages etc. I also don't mind Yeats because his poems are quite good too- I love Wild Swans of Coole which no-one else seems to like and yes I know it's simple but having been there it really is as beautiful as it sounds in the poem! Also it bugs me when people say that Yeats was sexist etc because of the way he talks about women but wasn't that the norm of the time?

Heaney annoys me so much! I mean all he talks about is potatoes! And he seems to do a load of waffle in his poems. Puts me to sleep..........

i totally agree about Heaney!
    in fairness though yeats was a sexist and seems to be quiet pervy seriousely it's scary, like how many people and their teenage daughters did he propose to while he was in his 50s?

Strange to see Dickinson so popular I am only person in my class who likes her apparently!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Favourite poet not poets

Why is it multiple choice?
    Because while I was in the middle of making the poll, I realised that I liked all three poets, and thought maybe other people would be the same. I couldn't be bothered changing the title as I didn't think anyone would notice, let alone care.

I'm surprised more people don't like Longley, I always have loads to write about his poems! Heaney does tend to write about potatoes and stuff, I used to hate his poetry but it grew on me. I find Kavanagh the dullest of the dull because he's so whingey and stuck-up... so I hope he doesn't come up this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭|Referee|

Fishie wrote:
    Because while I was in the middle of making the poll, I realised that I liked all three poets, and thought maybe other people would be the same. I couldn't be bothered changing the title as I didn't think anyone would notice, let alone care.

I'm surprised more people don't like Longley, I always have loads to write about his poems! Heaney does tend to write about potatoes and stuff, I used to hate his poetry but it grew on me. I find Kavanagh the dullest of the dull because he's so whingey and stuck-up... so I hope he doesn't come up this year!

There are more than 3 poets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Boland is so hard i think, her poems are hard to understand. Uses to dislike Emilt but now that i learnt an answer on her its a small bit easier understanding her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd have to say Dickinson or Longley

Boland is terribely hard to get round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Without a shadow of a doubt dickinson, i despise boland, she really annoys me..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I see Sylvia Plath isn't on your course. You lucky, lucky bastards.

Never encountered such a depressing, self-absorbed and negative person. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

i'm in fifth year and therefore have sylvia plath She should have been imprisoned for her crimes against poetry

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

4Xcut wrote:
    i'm in fifth year and therefore have sylvia plath She should have been imprisoned for her crimes against poetry
    Who are your 8 poets? Do you have many the same as us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I loved Sylvia Plath over all poets last year. You obviously have no sense of taste.

(Like everything I say, not meant to be taken seriously. Well, the second part anyway, I did love her poetry.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I felt like slitting my wrists when studying her. Out of sheer desperation or a reflection on the poetry I don't know.

She even moaned about having a baby. Are women even allowed do that? She should have stuck her head in the oven sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Gerard Manly Hopkins was much, much worse then Plath. Some of her stuff was alright, but Hopkins...jesus, serious slit your wrists sh!t.

I like Kavanagh, he's pretty straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

[COLOR=Magenta]T.S. Eliot[/COLOR] is definitely the best poet on the course - his work is just brilliance! He practically started the whole modernist movement (influences on yeat's later poetry........) And if you ever read any of his stuff it is so applicable to modern day life.
    As far as writing an answer on him, I don't think I would because there is soooooo many layers to his poetry that there just isn't enough time!

He is def the best out of all that I have done i.e.
    Heaney - meh
    Longley - ok
    Dickinson - i thought she was going to be really inspiational and I was
    disappointed (easy to write though)
    Yeats - like his later stuff

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

OK, when I first saw the thread I presumed it meant, what is your favourite poet (singular), that is, whose poems do you like most, rather than a mechanical exam-centred question. But no.

Anyway, I love Wordsworth's poetry - the refuge he takes in Nature, the mystical figure of Lucy, the eerie song of the Highland lass...
    Fishie wrote:
    I find Kavanagh the dullest of the dull because he's so whingey and stuck-up... so I hope he doesn't come up this year!
    No way! Kavanagh was not stuck up. He couldn't afford to be, he came from such humble origins. He had very complex feelings about his native Monaghan, and in his poetry one can see the constant conflict between the two forces that pull him in opposite directions: one to the bright literary lights of Dublin and London, and the other back to his humble roots. For example, in Inniskeen Road: July Evening we see him at once longing the company of his peers and simultaneously forsaking this comany for the "road, a mile of kingdom" where he can feel safe and free from criticism.
    On what basis do you base Kavanagh's supposed uppitiness, Fishie? What about Shancoduff? Does he not there express his love for the Monaghan landscape? And Epic, in which he realises that his own locality can provide the literary fuel that Homer used for the Iliad and Odyssey?

Hmm, a little overboard. Don't mean to offend, Fishie! It's good revision for you all anyway!

Someone spelled Yeats as "Yeat's" above. I can't believe that at this level of English people are using apostrophes incorrectly. This sort of thing makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement

Rredwell wrote:
    Someone spelled Yeats as "Yeat's" above. I can't believe that at this level of English people are using apostrophes incorrectly. This sort of thing makes my blood boil.

Yes that would be me.......I openly admit it I have a REAL problem with the apostrophy :rolleyes: . I think it should have actually have been Yeats' (but then again........). To me, anyway, English is about creativity, expressing yourself etc. Don't really dwell as much on the mechanics......

To me, anyway, English is about creativity, expressing yourself etc. Don't really dwell as much on the mechanics...

If you don't get the mechanics right, there is no way on the planet you can get your message across effectively, no matter how creative or expressive the message is. Try telling Virginia Woolf it should be A Room of Ones Own and see how far you get.

Without going off-topic (any more, that is), let me point out one common mistake that's made with the apostrophe: Using it (erroneously) with plurals, or words that look like plurals, eg Yeat's, ten dog's, scissor's. All of these are incorrect. However: Yeats' poetry, the ten dogs' collars (collars belonging to all the dogs) and the scissors' handle (OK, I know that's a very unlikely usage) are all correct.

Hope I'm not offending anyone, especially The Smiley One! I'm just sick of silly mistakes.

My English class is full of pedants so I usually get a dig in the ribs every time I get it wrong (I'm quite vocal........)
    No offence taken

ps. btw Rredwell if you haven't read "Eats, shoots and leaves" -do it now!! It's actually quite entertaining, even for a grammar-a-phobe like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

dickinson

absolutely adore her work, find it so scary,exciting, beautiful, breathtaking and most of all memorable

the soul has bandaged moments frightened the crap outta me
    hope is a thing with feathers, i actually know it off like a song, and i want it read at my funeral

generally not big into poetry but i adore her work!

Yes, I have read Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It is my Bible!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Worst thread ever,damn nerds!!!!

Rredwell wrote:
    Yes, I have read Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It is my Bible!

hi-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

Our English teacher has told us that there are four def's on the paper: Wordsworth, Yeats, Dickenson, and Eliot. I dunno how right he is but if wordsworth isnt there i am ****ed

Our English teacher has told us that there are four def's on the paper: Wordsworth, Yeats, Dickenson, and Eliot. I dunno how right he is but if wordsworth isnt there i am ****ed
    you silly goose
    if youre gonna cram with jus one poet study Dickinson!
    trust me if she doesnt come up, ill go up to Mayo personally and apologise!

• Advertisement

Stupid question: why Mayo? Has Dickinson's corpse been moved there?

It would be so hilarious on June 8 if she didn't come up. You would all beranting pn this forum, that's for sure. Me, I am not studying Dickinson. My teacher is *teaching* her but I think it is too late. I have 6 poets done so I am OK.

Thanks for the high 5 !

Advertisement