Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Eircom BB with a ZyXel Router

• 24-04-2005 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey, got a ZyXel router today and hooked it up to my laptop upstairs (got a Netopia connected to the USB of my pc downstairs)

Connected it up to the Ethernet cable and entered all my details (using my phone number as the username in the form of 01-8xxxxxx and my password)

It detects the ethernet connection and the LAN test passes but all the WAN tests fail.

I've tried all sorts of things to try and get it to work, Doodee suggested turning on UPnP which didn't work, tried changing the service name thing to eircom, eircom.net, leaving it blank.

I've reset the modem several times and done all the configuration the manual said to from 192.168.1.1 and still I get nothing. I've tried it with the USB aswell but I have the same problem.

Anyone else using a ZyXel modem on Eircom and have any idea why it's not working?

(Btw I'm using XP, no SP2 and no firewall which may be blocking it(yet))

Cheers, Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Have you tried unplugging the modem downstairs first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hmm, do I need to have one modem unplugged to use the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

of course

Arg... it was so simple...

Yeh it's working now with only one router plugged in...

Is there any way to have the two routers going at once cos my family use the pc downstairs (my sister uses it all the time so I want to be able to use the laptop upstairs while she's online downstairs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

steveland? wrote:
    Arg... it was so simple...

Yeh it's working now with only one router plugged in...

Is there any way to have the two routers going at once cos my family use the pc downstairs (my sister uses it all the time so I want to be able to use the laptop upstairs while she's online downstairs)

No, you can only have one active dsl modem on the phoneline at any time, a wireless access point & wireless nic's will solve your problems. ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302462&cks=SER

I've got this lying around somewhere. that what I need?

Another question btw, to use that wireless do I need to have my router plugged into the ethernet on my main pc? Cos the ethernet port on the PC doesn't work and I use the USB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

steveland? wrote:
    Hey, got a ZyXel router today and hooked it up to my laptop upstairs (got a Netopia connected to the USB of my pc downstairs)

Connected it up to the Ethernet cable and entered all my details (using my phone number as the username in the form of 01-8xxxxxx and my password)

It detects the ethernet connection and the LAN test passes but all the WAN tests fail.

I've tried all sorts of things to try and get it to work, Doodee suggested turning on UPnP which didn't work, tried changing the service name thing to eircom, eircom.net, leaving it blank.

I've reset the modem several times and done all the configuration the manual said to from 192.168.1.1 and still I get nothing. I've tried it with the USB aswell but I have the same problem.

Anyone else using a ZyXel modem on Eircom and have any idea why it's not working?

(Btw I'm using XP, no SP2 and no firewall which may be blocking it(yet))

Cheers, Steve

Im using a Zyxel modem, and they are nothing but trouble. I am with Esat and for the first 2 weeks it didnt work, it drops connection quite a bit and again for the last week it didnt work. It keeps giving up crazy messages and stuff. Im actually looking for a USB wireless router, but you have made me a bit more warey.

Fandango wrote:
    Im using a Zyxel modem, and they are nothing but trouble. I am with Esat and for the first 2 weeks it didnt work, it drops connection quite a bit and again for the last week it didnt work. It keeps giving up crazy messages and stuff. Im actually looking for a USB wireless router, but you have made me a bit more warey.
    TBH it was my own stupidity that stopped it working :rolleyes:

It's grand once I don't have the two routers plugged in at once

Advertisement