Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish php user group?

Options
  • 24-04-2005 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be interested in setting up or participating in an Irish php user group?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Yeah, i'd be interested.
    What had you got in mind?

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Hi,
    Maybe I have misinterpreted what you mean by "user group", but there is a Dublin PHP group listed on meetup.com that was (presumably) started with the intention of having members meet up occasionally - http://php.meetup.com/161. It doesn't seem very active though.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Meet up once a month.. I will put a site up & register a domain. I guess the focus of the group is to talk about php, post articles / spread the good word. A mailing list might also be a handy feature.

It doesn’t seem active & is not listed on the official php list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Hey, I use a alot of php. Users group sounds like a good idea. You guys done anything unusual with it?? PHP-GTK looks interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭fergalbreen

Hi PHP'ers,

IrishDev.com is interested in supporting PHP, Perl and Python.

We are currently looking for active PHP afficionados who could lead a group.

Anyone interested should come to our next event in Samsara tomorrow evening, check out what we can do and start discussing how we grow the PHP community.

FYI: We get a lot of members/public interest in teaching/promoting PHP.

Contact FergalBreen@irishDev .com

http://www.IrishDev.com

• Advertisement

[font=&quot]Hello Fergal we met before ... I like the sales pitch he he :) .. I wouldn’t mind some kind of Association with Irish dev. I do however want to make the group a separate entity to Irish Dev.

What the site might have .. Resources, online tutorials, manuals, etc, code examples, forum, mailing list. any other ideas?[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭fergalbreen

Yo, lol re:Sales pitch, "but wait, order today and receive this free Stereo Toothbrush and matching Polka Dot Screwdriver set, for all your food preparation requirements"....
    *Warning, actually using any of these products is harmful to all life*

lol

Anyhooo...IDN are still interested we tend to support groups, bare in mind we are about opening up communications to developers and if you want to manage/do the hard stuff - thats extra cool by us ;)

Come along tomorrow and have a chat.
    fb
    (we are there from 19:00 if you want a quiet drink pre-show)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

IrishDev.com is interested in supporting PHP, Perl and Python.
    As is the ICS, IIA and every other association that wants to be recognised as representing ‘The Industry’. Get in line.

The problem I’ve always had with most of industry associations is that they are primarily businesses and whom they claim to represent is a secondary, if even that, consideration. Of course, I’m not accusing you of this (you just happened to wander onto the wrong thread at the wrong time ;) ), but I’ve seen enough industry associations spring up over the years not to give you the benefit of the doubt either.

So outside of sticking your support for a PHP users group onto your marketing material, what would this support entail in concrete terms?
    Cr8or wrote:
    Would anyone be interested in setting up or participating in an Irish php user group?
    I would be happy to help out such a user group. Feel free to PM me.

Im going to register the domain some time today & install something like geeklog (geeklog.net) just to start off. If anyone wants to donate a better CMS or community portal feel free to conntact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is quite a good idea, at least in principle. A mailing list and/or message board should probably be the first priority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Any of you use XML as well. Whats the advantage of PHP over XML ?
    I also do a bit of Java.

just curious as I've not done any work in PHP. Functionality/ease of use ?

delanest wrote:
    PHP and XML are not really comparable. PHP is a server side scripting or programming language that allows you to run various processes on the server before sending the output, typically HTML, to the client. XML is not a language but more a framework for defining and describing data - as such most server side scripting or programming languages, including PHP, are able to handle and parse XML.
    That it is considered very good on both those counts is the reason for PHP's present popularity (as well as the fact that it's free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Plus even if you come from a non-programming background (like me) it is very easy to pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

delanest wrote:
    I also do a bit of Java.

What's the advantage of a kitten over an electric floor polisher? Not really comparable, I'm afraid.

It's an EXTREMELY easy to use language, with sensible (C-derived) syntax. It does have weak typing, which is not to everyone's liking, and it makes it too easy to write horrible, unmaintainable code, but other than that it's nice.

rsynnott wrote:
    What's the advantage of a kitten over an electric floor polisher?
    Let me try polishing a floor with a kitten and I'll get back to you...

ok thanks
    XML is not a language but more a framework for defining and describing data

To my knowledge XML is considered a language, yes the structure is seperated from the presentation but it is still used to render content, eg using in conjunction with XSL. Just the term "framework" paints a picture of a theoretical framework - just nit picking

If server side, has anyone used javascript and PHP. Can you compare the two?

delanest wrote:

Javascript isn't server side.
    So no, javascript and PHP aren't comparable either.

Want to compare something else to PHP?
    Maybe phone a friend?
    Or ask the audience? :D

Killian

Want to compare something else to PHP?

meant servlets, apologies.

just trying to get this straight in my head.

Killian - I appreciate the ratty responce !

delanest wrote:
    To my knowledge XML is considered a language, yes the structure is seperated from the presentation but it is still used to render content, eg using in conjunction with XSL. Just the term "framework" paints a picture of a theoretical framework - just nit picking
    In the context of what I wrote it isn’t as I was discussing scripting or programming languages. XSL, on the other hand, can strictly speaking be employed as a scripting or programming language, but I would not recommend it and is dependant upon the XML parser (server or client side) you’re using.
    I used some server side JavaScript on NES, years ago. Can’t really comment though it was more experimentation than anything else. As for using PHP and JavaScript; using two separate server side languages is generally not recommended as much for resource reasons as the confusion that they can create, while using server side PHP with client side JavaScript is commonplace in the generation of dynamic client side functions.

K!LL!@N wrote:
    Javascript isn't server side.
    So no, javascript and PHP aren't comparable either.
    Client side and server side technologies are comparable. If they weren’t we wouldn’t get debates on thin and thick client technology.
    delanest wrote:
    meant servlets, apologies.
    Traditionally seen as more scalable and thus the choice of the enterprise solution. Of course in the Irish market, they’re also seen as an expensive overkill - it’s cheaper to buy another CPU.

• Advertisement

Client side and server side technologies are comparable. If they weren’t we wouldn’t get debates on thin and thick client technology.

It seemed like delanest was looking to compare javascript and php server-side.
    Not client versus server-side.
    I know server-side javascript exists, but i don't think it's used much these days.

Anyway, let's not take the thread off-topic too much.

With regard to the PHP user group, i'd be willing to contribute anything i can to a site, not really too pushed about meetups.

Killian

Advertisement