Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Team of the Season

• 25-04-2005 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=271680

Im a little shocked at some of the selections here.

Cech
    G Neville
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    SWP
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Robben
    Henry
    Johnsen

An all English back line :rolleyes:

Firstly, what is Gary Neville doing there? Sure he has only played just over half Uniteds league games, and has hardly been outstanding. Solid as ever yes, but best in the league? Now obviously RB is hardly a position with a wealth of possibilities but personally I would have given it to Paulo Ferreira, or even Steve Finnan, who have both had excellent years. Neville has just done what he always has done, nothing new or spectacular.

Ashley Cole too? Surprised here. I thought Heinze would have no competition, and while Cole has had a great season Heinze has really stood head and shoulders above all other LBs this year.

Ferdinand at CB too is surprising me a bit. He has done well yes but again was hardly spectacular. Jamie Carragher has been outstanding and I think should have been in there. This is not a measure of who is the better player, its who has had the better season, and there are very few that have played better this year than Carragher, and Ferdinand isnt one of them. I accept though that claims that there should be two Liverpool defenders in the back line could be open to bias but I just think that Carragher and Finnan have had exceptional years.

In midfield I dont know about Gerrard. He started very well but has been underperforming since the new year. Thats not player of the season material. Makalele should be there, he should get more credit because he has been the lynch pin for Chelsea.

As for Robben on the wing, if he played more games definately, but seeing as he didnt I would have gone for Stuart Downing, who I think has been incredible this year.

Apart from that no real arguments. Good to see Andy Johnsen getting some recognition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Neville should not be there.. Ferdinand deserves to be there to be honest.. The difference between Uniteds defensive records this season and last is testament to that.. Chelsea shold really make up the whole back line gonig by this seasons record ;)

Gerard should not be there.. Makalele should be... I would agree with the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was shocked to see Neville in there, cause while I rate him incredibly highly, I know others dont. Finnan over Neville? Lets not be silly. Ferriera definally is a better player but has been injured a bit. Neville has been mr consistant, and while Ferriera has too, Neville's English so

Carragher has been solid but its easier to look better when you're surrounded by ****e defenders. Also Ferdinand leads the defense, Carragher is just a really good member of it

The midfield pairing imo is a joke.
    Gerrard has been ****e this year, a shadow of his former self shown up in most big matches.
    Lampard scores goals, thats all.
    Makelele has been my player of the year, let alone the best in midfield
    Graveson or Cahill deserve to be in there ahead of Gerrard

Heinze I thought was also in with a shout, considering he was undoubtably Man Utd's player of the season. But Cole also did great.

Robben has played what, 60% of the games? taht's at most right? bull****, Duff was the best left winger in the world this year from what i've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

PHB wrote:
    Carragher has been solid but its easier to look better when you're surrounded by ****e defenders. Also Ferdinand leads the defense, Carragher is just a really good member of it

its Team of the Season - not leaders of the season... Carragher has been playing excellent all season...

PHB wrote:
    Robben has played what, 60% of the games? taht's at most right? bull****, Duff was the best left winger in the world this year from what i've seen

Ferdinand has had only 26 league apps.. Robben has had 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It is team of the season, not leader of the season.
    Leaders play a bigger role in a game than any individual ever could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Why not pick your own at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3569808.stm?

I am surprised at some of the options available, and some who are not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IMO G Neville deserves his place at right back, he has been consistantly good in that position and there is no one that is obviously more deserving of the Place. I suppose that's hardly surprising to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

As a United fan I was a bit surprised at Neville being in and Heinze not being there. I thought he had a much better season than Neville especially as it was his first in the Prem.
    Johnson scored a lot of his goals from penalties as well but looking at the top strikers not a lot of prolific scores this season so he deserves it as much as anyone.
    Also think players like Makalele are underrated when it come to this selections,he is on eof Chelseas most consistent and important players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Keano_sli wrote:
    As a United fan I was a bit surprised at Neville being in and Heinze not being there. I thought he had a much better season than Neville especially as it was his first in the Prem.

If they were being considered for the same position I would agree with you but that's not the case. Heinze was Uniteds best player this season IMO. You can't really argue with Cole getting the LB spot but Henize must have ran him close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    Lampard scores goals, thats all.

Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

My team would be:
    In a traditional 4-4-2

GK: Cech
    RB: Hibbert
    CB: Terry
    CB: Carragher
    LB: Heinze
    RM: SWP
    CM: Makelale
    CM: Lampard
    LM: Duff
    CF: Henry
    CF: Johnsen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Why not pick your own at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3569808.stm?

I am surprised at some of the options available, and some who are not

Joe Cole there and no Duff? The British media are ****ing pathetic sometimes :rolleyes:

Also, no Given but Robinson? Jesus christ, no Carvaliho either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Id swap Tim Cahill for S Gerarrd and also Jamime Carragher for Rio Ferdinand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

GK: Martyn

DL: Heinze
    DC: Terry
    DC: Carragher
    DR: Finnan

MC: Makelele
    MC: Lampard
    MC: Cahill

FL: Duff
    FC: Henry
    FR: Wright-Phillips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

David James
    THE CHELSEA BACK 4
    Duff
    Robben
    Makelele
    Lampard
    Henry
    Andrew Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Wtf?

Agreed, it must have been another Frank Lampard who created all those assists for his team mates. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

GK: Given
    RB: Gallas
    CB: Terry
    CB: Carrigher
    LB: Cole
    RW: SWP
    CM: Lampard
    CM: Makelele
    LW: Duff
    CF: Johnson
    CF: Defoe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Defoe
    and no Henry?? :rolleyes:

Im surprised there are no everton players in there, They have had a great season!

Im surprised about Cole, Neville and Gerrard but tis all a much about muchness really

Advertisement