Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Signal Booster?

• 25-04-2005 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to boost the signal sent out of a wireless router. I am trying to set up a network with my brother who lives next door. We bought a belkin g router/modem but he cant pick up the signal. He is able to pick up another signal from another house very well, so what ever that person is using would do nicely.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You can try this.
    I hear you can get 10-12dB if you're carefully following the design. It's cheap, and doesn't void your warranty.

If you don't care about warranty, you can bust the access point open and connect an external antenna to it. That requires opening the case, soldering. Not to mention the external antenna costs money as well.

Cheers,
    JP

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

That looks good. I'll give it a try tonight. Anyone else tried this?

For successful builds, see the links at the bottom of the page.

It shouldn't cost too much, and looks easy enough to build, so I guess it's worth trying it for yourself. A can of pringles, some styrofoam and glue. Build one, or if you have two dipoles, look for a BOGOF offer on Pringles.
    Best quote from a builder: "most difficult part was eating all the pringles".

I got good signal all around the house, so I didn't need one.

Cheers,
    JP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's worth noting that strictly speaking these things are verboten. You shouldn't have much trouble tho, unless you point it at a mobile mast or hospital or something.

rsynnott wrote:
    It's worth noting that strictly speaking these things are verboten. You shouldn't have much trouble tho, unless you point it at a mobile mast or hospital or something.
    Why would they be verboten?

You can buy, without any fuss, antennas with a lot higher gain than that. I got a 20dB wire mesh by Stella Doradus.

Linksys used to produce a signal booster that got pulled from the market about a year ago because it broke FCC regulations, but that's Yankeeland, where you cant f@rt without a proper gov't license.

So, what's your reasoning?

Cheers,
    JP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hmm, I may be wrong, but last I heard, our regulations were even more severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

rsynnott wrote:
    Hmm, I may be wrong, but last I heard, are regulations were even more severe.

Correct, it's not a good idea to break irish power regulations.

A small directional antenna should fit the job fine, try Wi-Pipe.

Fobia wrote:
    Correct, it's not a good idea to break irish power regulations.
    A small directional antenna should fit the job fine, try Wi-Pipe.

I admit I don't know the Irish regulations, but if they're more severe than the American regulations, then following your advice would break them as well.

About a year ago, Linksys pulled their wireless signal booster because it could be used with other WAPs, whereas the FCC approval was only for a particular device.

According to the FCC rules, you are not allowed to use a device with any antenna other than the one that came with it. Here's more on factors to consider when upgrading antennas. However, the articles are written by americans, for americans, as far as regulations go.

On a side note: adding an external antenna is not always possible. Most of the time, the WAP antennas are not interchangeable.

Cheers,
    JP

EDIT: Wi-Pipe sell outdoors antennas. If he needs something small, for indoor use, he can try the more generic shops, like Maplin's and Komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

JoyPad wrote:
    I admit I don't know the Irish regulations, but if they're more severe than the American regulations, then following your advice would break them as well.

About a year ago, Linksys pulled their wireless signal booster because it could be used with other WAPs, whereas the FCC approval was only for a particular device.

According to the FCC rules, you are not allowed to use a device with any antenna other than the one that came with it. Here's more on factors to consider when upgrading antennas. However, the articles are written by americans, for americans, as far as regulations go.

On a side note: adding an external antenna is not always possible. Most of the time, the WAP antennas are not interchangeable.

Cheers,
    JP

EDIT: Wi-Pipe sell outdoors antennas. If he needs something small, for indoor use, he can try the more generic shops, like Maplin's and Komplett.

If an external antenna is not possible with your kit, and your kit can't make it to the node, get better kit. You could get one of those antennae from komplett or maplins but they're liable to fail after some use.

My advice; do everything properly or don't do it at all - it might cost less in the short run but a good solid solution is always better in the long run.

Advertisement