Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what do you do if someone hits you but there is no damage ?!?

Options
  • 25-04-2005 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

I was leaving a car park and looking to the left to see if there is traffic behid the car in front of me when some guy hits me from the back as im sitting still on the gate of the car park. As I was about to pull out i didnt have my break on so when he hit me i went forward onto the road before i could slam on the break luckly not hitting anyone. When I looked around I saw the guy shouting at me but when I opened the door to inspect the damage he drove off. Had to rally after him to get his number plate but didnt want to keep going as I figured he could be a nut case so pulled in. Now from here I would assume its a case of ring the guards but when I got out of the car there was just minor brushes on the bumper which will probably be gone with a bit of a wash (I assume the break being off and the car getting pushed sorta removed any damage that might have been caused)

So do I ring the guards and report the guy ?!? im fairly pissed off that he didnt even check to see if we where alright and just fecked off. But will the guards just say theres nothing we can do, is it worth even ringing them ?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chalk it up to experience? There really seems no point in going any further, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hate to see him getting away with it, and are you sure there is no damage?
    The incident may well be on CCTV. Whiplash can take a few days to kick in....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

tbh I think you should report the incident to the Gardai.

What he's done is a 'hit and run' - while it's not crime of the century you have to take a dim view of it, even if it was only minor damage. afaik he comitted an offence by leaving the scene of an accident. He is obliged to stay for a reasonable amount of time and provide a Gardai, or you, or any witness with his details. It's quite possible he doesn't have one or more of licence/insurance/tax or had drink taken, and that's why he left in a hurry.

It's important that the Gardai have a record of what happened. Becasue the next time he does it or is involved in some other incident - then they can see a pattern with his behaviour. Especially good is if you can give even a vague description of the driver.

What if there was a child or infant in your car, what if you had been injured even slightly - he didn't give a toss, he hit your car, shouts at you, and then fecked off. You'll be doing the next person a big favour if you report him.

He didn't honour his responsibility, and tbh, if you don't report him you haven't honoured yours either.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Sorry to hear of your event.
    However, sometimes the "correct" solution is more effort that it is worth.

I remember my first "rear ender" on the highway. Another VW, I pulled up a bit, determined his car had no damage..thus my car would not have suffered much more and waved "bye bye".

Then I was "front ended" by a reversing truck..... Inspected the damage to the number plate..... told the driver he should take more care and "carried on".

Then came the "side ended". Informed the driver he should really reverse slowely out of parking slots and "carried on".....

My advise, ...... after reversing the truck into the Camry several times..... "carry on".

If you are absolutely sure you were in the "right" make a police report, just as a record, but otherwise....... "carry on".

Why?. Recently a friend of mine was rear ended at a traffic light, put a dent about the size of a 1/2 grapefruit in the boot lid, "No hassle", untill she found out the "offender" made a later report that she "reversed" into him and is demanding compensation.

"How many fingers have found in your soup lately?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

AMurphy wrote:
    t the "offender" made a later report that she "reversed" into him and is demanding compensation.

"How many fingers have found in your soup lately?" ;)

america :D:D and i find fingers everyday in my soup :D i am sueing the parents for everything so i can get a bentley, all the rappers have them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

He hit you? Then shouted at you? And drove off without checking? Report his ass to the guards! Next time he might kill someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

a previous car of mine was once hit and the bumper looks scratched an the lamp cluster cracked. There was nobody around. It happened while I was gone. I was peeved but what could I do?

Later on that week I noticed that the boot would not close once I had opened it. There was damage to the metal behind the bumper where the boot lock was. Cost quite alot to have it all fixed.

My point being that you never know what could happen down the line so you should at least report the incident so your side of the story is recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, I'd recommend letting the guards know. Leaving the scene of an accident is /VERY/ dodgy behaviour on a number of levels. Also, as the others pointed out, guards like to be able to see a pattern of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Kristok,
    get the courage and go through the hassle of making an informed report to the police. The previous posters on this matter are correct. Do it, don't let that obnxious fecker get away with it in my opnion.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

not in the habit of ratting to the guards,but that little p...k wants his arse kicked big time, :mad: who does he think he is,report the monkey now,some hard man,thinks he owns the road :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement