Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physical line error?

• 25-04-2005 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

anyone of guys got that message on the router?

my router keeps disconnecting constantly and then trying to reconnect and it says "physical line error", the dsl indication LED turns off the on modem, meaning the line is out completely, tried other modems and other cables, the same thing, it was fine before, it's started last week(my speeds/pings went bad too(before I had great speeds 230kb/s no problems))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd call Eircom, make sure a noise hasn't manifested itself onto the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

That happened to me all the time because my line couldn't support the full 2Mbps line speeds and it kept dropping and reconnecting at lower speeds.....I fixed it by unpluging the phone from the main socket and pluging it into another socket and sticking my router onto the main socket all on it's own - the line now always connects at the full speed and the errors have stopped. Still my line doesn't hit the full 200KB becasue of the still large number of errors on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

make sure sockets are properly inserted & wired. Make sure both your DSL line and Phone lines pass through separate filters, make sure there are no bare/touvhing/shorting points on your phoneline.

The physical line error = no dial tone / no signal / extreme noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Checked all the lines, checked with 3 other modems, and 3 other cables

still dropped once or twice, but it was all happening at night(3am), so I don't know, maybe they took it down for couple of minutes?(phone worked)

doesn't seem to be doing it now*knocks on the wood*

here're my results

SNR Margin: 11.23 26.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 43.78 28.00 dB
    Output Power: 18.45 11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 11 0
    Data Rate: 2048 128

SNR is a tad low and your output power is too high, 15dB is max. i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

How do I get these stats and what do they mean? I don't think I'm getting the full benefit of 1Mb and am currently waing to go to 2Mb.

Thanks - sorry for the mild hijack!

if you are using the netopia mode/rouoter from eircom its
    start->run->cmd
    telnet 192.168.1.254
    show dsl

otherwise, it depends on the model lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 18.51 29. 0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 35.95 20. 0 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 164
    Data Rate: 2048 128

Are mine ok? there seems to be crc errors in the upstream whatever they are, doesnt seem to effect my line quality tho, i still get 215k/sec downloads most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Gonzo, this might be interesting to you
    http://home.comcast.net/~dtrunkle/Networking/networking.htm

Advertisement