Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake pads?

Options
  • 25-04-2005 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Roughly, how many miles should I get from my front brake pads?
    Car is a 2L Rover 620I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Anywhere between 10K and 70K, depending on thickness, driving habits, pads, terrain, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

AMurphy is right, they can last along time or only a few thousand. if in doubt get them checked out. certainly consider replacement if the car has done 40000 miles as even if there is any left it really doesnt matter as they arent dear and u may damage the discs if they wear down to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Your mileage may vary, but I got over 65000 miles from the last set on a 1.4L car. I would expect a 2L car would be a bit harder on the pads with the extra weight that is being slowed down.
    Suggest you check them or get them checked at every service. Checking them is a 10 minute job (removing and replacing wheels), replacing the pads maybe 10-15 minutes each side. Don't wait until you hear the grinding noise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Cheers all, thanks for the replies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've currently got 75k on my front pads which are the original pads that came with the car. Still a fair bit of life left in them and I reckon they'll be fine till about 85-90k. Car is a Laguna II which is about the same size and weight as a Rover 600.

As already stated, pad life is very dependant on driving style and type of driving. But brake pad changes are a nice way for unscrupulous garages to rip people off. Most owners never measure their pad depth which leaves them wide open to being ripped off by garages who tell them their pads need replacing when they don't.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
Advertisement