Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan Rail Crash Kills Dozens

• 25-04-2005 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/04/24/japan.trainsmash/index.html

This was the top story on the RTE news this morning, and is on the front pages of most of thenews services websites at the moment. The thing is though, If the same number of people were to die in a rail accident in a developing country, then it would only get a few sentences in the "in brief" portion of the news bulletin.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As well as the fact in the morning it was still 'breaking news", this is kind of why...

"In Japan's deadliest rail accident in more than 40 years," - CNN

"It was the deadliest rail accident in Japan - which is renowned for its safe, modern railways - for more than four decades." - Associated Press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I agree why it made headline as a breaking news story, but.. It also was the RTE main headline at 9pm yesterday evening.
    I seriously question this decision by the RTE editors and totally agree with you on this Billy.
    The main report itself was very short and had no interview with officials or reporters in the area... which made it even more bizarre for this to make main headline for RTE.
    This kind of reporting / editing really annoys me.
    I said this out loud with the rest of my family watching, and they nearly attacked me... but I explained my case and they more or less agreed with my point.
    I think the BBC had election as their headline, and rightly so, and kept the above lower down the order (but it was still well covered).

Advertisement