Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Omaha bankroll?

Options
  • 25-04-2005 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

I've been 4-tabling the $25 buy-in pot limit omaha tables on Party Poker in the last while. Multi-tabling and playing pretty tight pre-flop has meant any variance has been kept fairly low, and I've been able to grind some profit together.

So far I haven't really had a losing session, so I'm wondering what my bankroll on Party should be before I move up to the $50 or $100 buy-in tables.

I asked on 2+2 and the general reply was "whatever your comfortable with" but a couple of people mentioned that between 30 - 40 times the buy-in is adequate to cope with any nasty variance swings.
    So this would mean: $25 tables = $800-$1000 bankroll , $100 tables = $3k-4k bankroll.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I think 30-40 is right, particularly on Party where the play tends to be pretty loose, which means the chances of being subjected to an extended period of ass reaming are high.

The general rule for NLHE players is no less than 25 buy ins, PLO players need bigger tanks. Most people will say that's too high but if you're intent on not just never going bust, but surviving a serious downswing without having to drop a level then 3K-4K will cover it. I've only recently started more cash games and so far I haven't found them as swingy as SnGs but then I'm playing on FUll Tilt. Party Poker is butrape city! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You need a serious bankroll to start moving up the stakes, with that said I sat down a a 2/4 PL table with 3k in the tank, I left the table with 1.9k three days in a row.

on the fourth and fifth day I gave back around 1.3k to horrible 1 outers on the river.....

You need a big bankroll as a safety net, those horrible beats will come and they will come often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

It depends on your style of play. If you are going to sit and wait for nut hands then you need less of a bankroll. If you want to play more aggressive and chase wraps and flushes then you will need more. Why not play 2 $100's and 2 $25's to start with and see how you get on? I have been dipping my toes in the £2/£5 and the $5/$10 without anywhere near the required bankroll and took a couple of huge hits last week. Fortunately I made it up in the Fitz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Decker

Hi Luke,

from what I've read, and it seems to be quoted as big blinds or buyins, it's 1000-4000 big blinds or 20-40 buyins. I don't think this really takes into account your playing style, a nut peddler may need less while an agressive may need more.

Check out the following for a more detailed way of calculating you BR taking into account your attitude to risk (risk of ruin).

http://www.bet-the-pot.com/bankroll-standard-deviation-page43.html

Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Shortstack wrote:
    It depends on your style of play. If you are going to sit and wait for nut hands then you need less of a bankroll.
    Playing 4 tables let me be very choosy about my hands preflop since there's always another table beeping at me.
    I've found that while I may lose a couple of buy-ins when I get outdrawn after I lump it all-in with top set, I'll have hit the nut flush on another table in a big multiway pot to compensate. The more tables I play the less the variance it seems, so far at least.

So far I haven't really had a downswing, in a couple of weeks of 4-tabling, of more than $50 in a couple of hours.

Anyone who play the PP omaha tables, does the standard of play change at all up until you reach the $400 level? ($25, $50, $100 levels?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

lafortezza wrote:
    So far I haven't really had a downswing, in a couple of weeks of 4-tabling, of more than $50 in a couple of hours.($25, $50, $100 levels?)

I've had the same experience 4 tabling in NL 6 max Cash games on FT. At one point I was down 2.5 buy ins on one table after some suckouts, and one brainfart, but overall I was up a buy-in thanks to the deck hitting me in the face on the other tables. It makes sense that as a good player playing more table is effectively like playing over a longer period of time so you should expect it to be much less swingy than if you were just playing one or two tables. That's another benefit of cash games, that you can multitable easier than in SnGs since in SnGs you could end up playing several table HU or shorthanded.

Advertisement