Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem NTL Supplies

• 25-04-2005 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Sorry for more NTL cr@p.......

Talking to NTL customer service the other day in relation to getting the broadband installed.

Now the woman asked me what version of Windows I had, because of the need for a USB port. I replied that I wanted an ethernet modem, and she said that didn't make a difference, but I would need a USB port regardless.

Why would I need a USB port? Is the modem powered over USB or something?

Can the modem be attached to any internet gateway that takes a ethernet connection in? Basically what I want to do is set up my network like this:

NTL Modem -> Firewall/Router/DHCP Server/Internet Gateway -> 16+ port Gigabit Switch

I presume it should be ok......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

It should be fine, and she was talking rubbish lol. its USB OR Ethernet, never both, she hasnt a clue about connecting equipment up.

And yes, its all standard Ethernet CAT5 cabling from the modem, to your pc. Not sure about Switch configurations, never used one myself. And ethernet is hardware-supported, ie. no drivers needed and hence, doesnt matter about the OS.

Go ring her and shout at her lol.
    I assume no liability over your actions or consequences resulting from such shouting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are they're told to cover their ass. Many people might not have an ethernet port on their machine, so if the engineer goes out and finds they have Windows 95 (or 98 1st ed.) and no ethernet port, there'll be hell to pay.

When they register you, they also make a note of your version of Windows, probably to help with support when/if you ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

cheers for all the info.

Can anyone recommend a good (non-wireless) router to go with the NTL?

Must have a DHCP server and a very good firewall (will probibly install software firewalls in addition to the hardware one).

Thanks.

in general, the netgear & Linksys models seem to be fairly good and solid with decent features etc. nearly all modern routers are DHCP/NAT/Gateway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The NTL modem has both an Ethernet port and USB port.

The ethernet port will work fine with most routers.

The router you want is a Draytek Vigor 2900
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900.html
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=VIGOR2900

Not cheap but excellent kit, I had the ADSL version previously.

BTW anything on the following page should work with NTL:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

About the OS, when they asked me about what OS I was running, I decided I was better off not mentioning to them that I was running Linux and Solaris :), so I just said XP.

• Advertisement

Why were you better off lol.

bk wrote:
    The NTL modem has both an Ethernet port and USB port.

The ethernet port will work fine with most routers.

The router you want is a Draytek Vigor 2900
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900.html
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=VIGOR2900

Not cheap but excellent kit, I had the ADSL version previously.

BTW anything on the following page should work with NTL:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

About the OS, when they asked me about what OS I was running, I decided I was better off not mentioning to them that I was running Linux and Solaris :), so I just said XP.

Sounds like the exact router I'm looking for. Problem is that its getting slated a bit in reviews.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SachaJ wrote:
    Sounds like the exact router I'm looking for. Problem is that its getting slated a bit in reviews.

Which reviews are those? I'm looking at that router myself.

I've seen the Toms Netowrking review myself and I think it is far too strict. His complaints was lack of documentation and hard to use interface. This is true, but then the features are very advanced. No other router has those features, unless it costs three times as much. This router is priced at a consumer level but is more like an enterprise piece of equipment.

JNive I have found that if you tell an ISP that you are using Linux or Solaris they say that they aren't supported OS's (that is after they ask you what Linux and Solaris are!) and that you can't avail of their product, which of course is complete bs.

bk wrote:
    Which reviews are those? I'm looking at that router myself.

I've seen the Toms Netowrking review myself and I think it is far too strict. His complaints was lack of documentation and hard to use interface. This is true, but then the features are very advanced. No other router has those features, unless it costs three times as much. This router is priced at a consumer level but is more like an enterprise piece of equipment.

JNive I have found that if you tell an ISP that you are using Linux or Solaris they say that they aren't supported OS's (that is after they ask you what Linux and Solaris are!) and that you can't avail of their product, which of course is complete bs.

Yeah, saw the toms networking one. Also there are some user reviews on that site. Think I might end up going with it anyways - has everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

SachaJ wrote:
    Yeah, saw the toms networking one. Also there are some user reviews on that site. Think I might end up going with it anyways - has everything.
    Do you want VoIP ports?
    The 2900VG has them but is wireless, pity they don't seem to do a 2900VGi

causal

causal wrote:
    Do you want VoIP ports?
    The 2900VG has them but is wireless, pity they don't seem to do a 2900VGi

causal

Going to get the VOIP alright, but I might go with a seperate router.

On the subject of VOIP. How would I split a VOIP connection, from say blueface, to a number of phones throughout a house? Do I just need a VOIP Router with 4 ports? How do I terminate each connection? VOIP handset?

SachaJ wrote:
    Going to get the VOIP alright, but I might go with a seperate router.

On the subject of VOIP. How would I split a VOIP connection, from say blueface, to a number of phones throughout a house? Do I just need a VOIP Router with 4 ports? How do I terminate each connection? VOIP handset?

The easiest way would probably be a DECT handset set with a base station and multiple phones. You just connect the base station to the VoIP port and all the DECT phones could use it.

I bought an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) which I plug into my gateway/router.
    I then have a DECT quadset basestation plugged into the ATA :)

modem > gateway/router* > ATA > DECT basestation ~> 4 handsets

*normal gateway/router with 4 ethernet ports

You'll get lot's of useful info in this thread about setups, preferred hardware etc.

hth,
    causal

found this - 2900V - has VOIP and not Wireless

http://www.draytek.com/product/broadband_security_router/vigor2900v/vigor2900v.php

I see it has two RJ11 ports on the back of it. Does that mean I can terminate two seperate VOIP accounts on this router?

Hmmm! I assumed so - but I've looked at some of their webiste blurb and it's notable and worrisome that they don't say you can :confused:

You can have two separate accounts on some of the Sipuras e.g. SPA 2100 and SPA 3000 iirc.

causal

Advertisement