Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial up and Sattelite Broadband

Options
  • 25-04-2005 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Dial up through Sattelite and Wireless

Basically I haven't a clue as I don't have the fortune to be able to get broadband so I don't know how the connections work etc.

I am settling up Sattelite broadband because I can't get broadband in my area and its a long way off so basicially I am looking to do the following:

Connecting my PC and laptops and enabling all of them to dial up wirelessly (can this be done if I am only on dialup (standard telephone socket on wall)) I am presuming that I dial up normally to the satelitte provider and it beams back the signal - but can this be done while Im sitting in my bedroom with my laptop and wireless connectivity?

I want to buy the equipment, but don't know whether it will work - any help?

Can anyone help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I'm not 100% tsure what you want to do but I think you want to bea able to use your satellite connection from a laptop anywhere in the house. Is this correct?? I thinky also your using a 1-way satellite system, i.e. your dialing up through the phone and comng down through the satellite

If it is, then you probably can. All satellite systems have an Indoor unit, i.e a box which is inside the house.

Some providers use IDU's with a RJ-45 port which can connected directly to a wireless router,( NOTE you need a wireless ADSL router with a RJ-45 world side connection, a standard ADSL router comes with an RJ-11 connection so be careful).

then it's a case of following the instructions that come with the wireless router.

If the satellite provider with a USB connection then you have to connect to a PC which does the dialing up.you could set up a wireless network from the PC to the laptops but that's more complicated and you'd need help from someone else.

Ask whoever you provider is can it be done, most tech support people will give you a general yes it can be done and a general how without getting too specific.( what satellite provider are you looking at, I can probably tell you what equipment they use)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks very much for your detailed reply Sparkylarks,

I was all set for going the satellite route, but with "Net Whiz Kid" running into problems setting his up, Im thinking twice about it.

But I still would like to use my dial up between all my machines - basically can I set up my PC's wirelessly to dial up an ISP (eircom)?

Thanks again

Advertisement