Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB is now in Galway

• 25-04-2005 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I called NTL this morning and was able to order BB in Knocknacarra. The Tech is due out next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

Unfortunately, its still the old speeds (300 / 750 / 1.5) but compared to ISDN...

-=- RintPete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

awesome, Pity I live in Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

RintPete wrote:
    Unfortunately, its still the old speeds (300 / 750 / 1.5) but compared to ISDN...

Just checked their Web Site, it looks like they have already increased it.

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

cable rocks, I had it in Holland, infact I still have the modem, a surfboard something or other.
    You like get whatever bandwidth is leftover on the line, I mean I had a 512 connection, but it was really more like a 2 Mbit conn. latency tends to be well decent too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

nadir wrote:
    cable rocks, I had it in Holland, infact I still have the modem, a surfboard something or other.
    You like get whatever bandwidth is leftover on the line, I mean I had a 512 connection, but it was really more like a 2 Mbit conn. latency tends to be well decent too

Unfortunately you don't get that with NTL in Ireland. If you get the 1m product, then the max you will ever get is 1m. Of course this is all set by NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Is it really available in Galway now? I always thought it was just Dublin. I have a few friends who work in tech support for ntl and I can double check and see what the inside story is on reliabily etc

• Advertisement

bindybandy wrote:
    Is it really available in Galway now? I always thought it was just Dublin. I have a few friends who work in tech support for ntl and I can double check and see what the inside story is on reliabily etc

I hope so, I have a Tech coming next week to install it. :)

Read about it in the advertiser today so it looks like your dead right. Rest of Galway to get it later in the year so looks promising. If you have a network card in your pc use that rather than usb with their modem - I used to work for them a long time ago and if I had a penny for every person that called with a messed up usb install from the installation disc I'd be loaded! (maybe their install disc has improved in the last year or so but I'd be surprised)

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/dws/pdf/GA_2804_E1_008.pdf

Yeah, I read it also. I have wireless LAN at home for the past 2 years. Except I have an ISDN connection to the outside world. I'm expecting the Tech to install it next Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.

-=- RintPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah going the USB route is a nightmare. Much better off just getting a nic and connecting it that way. Plus its better for latency/ping I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

i never taught ill have choice in galway!

im on my second free esat offer at the moment (yes free bb for 6months!)
    i signed up for smart telecom (didnt send of direct debit form yet tho)
    rang irishbroadband (they said i can get breeze or ripwave)
    now theres ntl!

sweet :) i ll have to think hard about what to choose now

• Advertisement

RintPete wrote:

Yeah, I read it also. I have wireless LAN at home for the past 2 years. Except I have an ISDN connection to the outside world. I'm expecting the Tech to install it next Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.

-=- RintPete

Best of luck - let us know what the connection speeds and reliability is like as the weeks go by anyways. ;)

Just got my NTL BB installed in Galway.

The tech took about 1 hour to install and test and its workign like a charm.

Its almost 2 years to the day that I got my first Eircom BB at my old address. Its been a long wait to get it in Knocknacarra.

-=- RintPete

Here are some PINGs:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=48
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=48
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=48
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.36:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 41ms