Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL have upgraded speed on Irish Website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh you f'in beauty.

2Mb here we come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Still seeing this

ntl's Broadband services
    Speed* Compare to dial-up internet Monthly subscription*
    ntl Broadband Starter 300kbps Over 5 times faster than standard dial-up internet €25
    ntl Broadband 750kbps Over 13 times faster than standard dial-up internet €35
    ntl Broadband Max 1.5Mb Over 26 times faster than standard dial-up internet €50

ntl
    Broadband Starter ntl
    Broadband ntl
    Broadband Max
    Monthly Subscription €25.00 €35.00 €50.00
    Installation Connection Fee FREE FREE FREE
    Cost of Modem Cable Modem rental is provided at no additional cost
    Downstream Speed 300kbps* 750kbps* 1500kbps*
    Upstream Speed 64kbps 128kbps 256kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Try refreshing the page?

3000Kbps down and 300Kbps up for E45 a month - beauty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CaptainSparrow

:D

You can check your NTL modem status to see if you have been upgraded here
    Your NTL Modem

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

Seein this:
    Subscription €25.00 €35.00 Ђ45.00
    Download Speed (Kbps) 1000 2000 3000
    Upload Speed (Kbps) 100 200 300
    Faster than Dialup Nearly 20 times faster Over 35 times faster Over 50 times faster
    Special Offer First 3 Months Free + Free Connection First 3 Months Free + Free Connection First 3 Months Free + Free Connection
    Order Now 1800 234 234
    Need a Telephone Line? NO NO NO
    Modem FREE FREE FREE
    Contention Ratio 17:01 17:01 17:01
    Freephone Technical Support YES YES YES
    Suitable for Network Gaming YES YES YES
    Email YES YES YES
    Webspace YES YES YES
    Newsgroups YES YES YES
    Usage Allowance
    (GB per Month) <Link to Policy> 16 30 40

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

40GB per month. Haven't looked properly yet at AUP, but I presume that's 40GB download still? If that's the case the 1GB per day threat is history :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

So has anyone been able to check their modem? Or do these speeds just apply to new installs, for which lead times probably extend into next week (beginning of May)?

Edit: Never mind. It still seems to be the 300/750/1.5 speeds for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A previous thread mentioned 14th May.

They'll probably make a press release sometime this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

Just got off the phone to NTL sales and was told they didn't know anything about this link, but.............. all speeds will be upgraded on JUNE 1ST!!!!!

3mb here we come!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

cool should be in my new house by then. NTL digital + broadband. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

w00p w00p etc etc.

Nice one NTL... must check this out when i get home...

I was on the 1.5mb package, so i presume if you were on the max package previously, they will keep you on the max package with the new rates?

At the moment the 1.5mb is enough for me anyway, so i might downgrade to the new 2MB package and save myself 15 bucks per month... nice one NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Nice to see confirmation of the speeds in writing. Would have been really nice if the uploads were higher but still not bad. Is the 3Mb cheaper than tohe old 1.5?

I love this

Download Speed...............56Kbps......1000Kbps.....2000Kbps....3000Kbps
    GIF file (largest - 400Kb)..57 seconds..3 seconds....2 seconds...3 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SteM

At the moment the 1.5mb is enough for me anyway, so i might downgrade to the new 2MB package and save myself 15 bucks per month... nice one NTL.

Might be worth your while staying on the top package if you DL a lot every month....

1mb - cap is 16GB per month.
    2mb - cap is 30GB per month.
    3mb - cap is 40GB per month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MarVeL wrote:
    Nice to see confirmation of the speeds in writing. Would have been really nice if the uploads were higher but still not bad. Is the 3Mb cheaper than tohe old 1.5?

Yes it is €5 cheaper :), probably downgrade to the 2mb package myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

SteM wrote:
    Might be worth your while staying on the top package if you DL a lot every month....

1mb - cap is 16GB per month.
    2mb - cap is 30GB per month.
    3mb - cap is 40GB per month.

I wouldn't download anything near 30 GBs/month, so staying at the 30 GB 'cap' wouldn't be too much of a problem for me.

One quick question:- NTLs Cap - is it combined upload and download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

from http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/pdf/InternetUserPolicy2005.pdf...
    Usage allowances for ntl’s Broadband services are: up to 3 (Broadband Value), 16 (Broadband Starter), 30 (Broadband) or 40 (Broadband Max) gigabytes downstream of data transfer monthly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Quite nice.

Upload speeds are a little bit slow, but still better than DSL

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Fairly pants upload if you're on the 1meg 100kb upload??
    300kupload for the 3meg isn't that nice either..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

carrotcake wrote:
    from http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/pdf/InternetUserPolicy2005.pdf...

Usage allowances for ntl’s Broadband services are: up to 3 (Broadband Value), 16 (Broadband Starter), 30 (Broadband) or 40 (Broadband Max) gigabytes downstream of data transfer monthly.
    I wonder what the Broadband Value package is. Up to now the lowest one was the Broadband Starter (was 300K soon to be 1MB).

Anyone try upgrading on the www.ntlworld.com site ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Come on, at least NTL are beginning to get Broadband speeds right. Sure, 300k Upload speed isn't that great, but how many home users would honestly need a lot more that at the moment? It's also nearly 3 times faster than any upload speed on any of the other broadband packages (except wireless) and it's faster than any of the eircom business packages for which you pay through the nose. I think 3Mbps / 300k is finally a decent home Broadband package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Anyone try upgrading on the www.ntlworld.com site ?
    [b]ntl: Broadband Internet - Connection Speed Upgrade[/b]
    [i]We are currently unable to change the speed of your connection online.[/i]

:(

Serbian wrote:
    [b]ntl: Broadband Internet - Connection Speed Upgrade[/b]
    [i]We are currently unable to change the speed of your connection online.[/i]

:(

Thanks Serbian,

I'm wondering if that has ever worked for NTL Ireland. Has anyone ever upgraded to the 1.5MB package from the 750Kbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If anything my download rates are slower today and I am on the Broadband MAX

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Lenny wrote:
    Fairly pants upload if you're on the 1meg 100kb upload??

Actually 100kb upload from NTL should be about equivalent to Eircoms 128kb upload.

Let me explain, I have both Netsource RADSL 2mb / 128kb and NTL BB Max 1.5m / 256k.

The RADSL upload speed is actually about 104 k due to overhead, however the NTL upload speed is actually 256k, there seemes to be little or no overhead, same with the download speed.

I believe what is happening is that NTL actually give you a slightly higher speed then advertised, in order to compensate for the overhead.

So if this follows for the new products, then the upload speeds and download speeds are actually higher then they seem compared to Eircom.

I'm intrigued by the broadband starter product, a entry level product for abouyt €15 per month would just piss all over Eircom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

my upload is set to 128000 bps according to the modem's operation configuration page. the mystery lives on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

bk wrote:
    I believe what is happening is that NTL actually give you a slightly higher speed then advertised, in order to compensate for the overhead.
    But if you look at your modem config page it reads:
    [b]Operation Configuration[/b]
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 750000 bps
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 128000 bps

Is it possible that ntls speeds are higher because of lower overhead - and that this lower overhead is because of the 'broadcast' nature of ntl's network - i.e. it doesn't require as much address overhead because all packets are s broadcast from the local node to everyone on the node. Just a theory.

ntl's contention ratio is 17:1 maybe that helps too.

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I wonder what the Broadband Value package is. Up to now the lowest one was the Broadband Starter (was 300K soon to be 1MB).

it's 150K

Advertisement