Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL have upgraded speed on Irish Website

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CyberGhost wrote:
    it's 150K

How much and what would be the upload speed, if it was about €15 I'd now a lot of people who it would be perfect for as a ISDN replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

The increase is welcome :) but the upload increases are pathetic.
    Now we're all going to be on a 10:1 ratio of downstream:upstream - that sucks

And why do we have to wait until June 1st for the increases :(

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

causal wrote:
    The increase is welcome :) but the upload increases are pathetic.
    Now we're all going to be on a 10:1 ratio of downstream:upstream - that sucks

And why do we have to wait until June 1st for the increases :(

causal

yea 300kb for 3mb is pathetic

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CyberGhost wrote:
    yea 300kb for 3mb is pathetic

No offence, but these kind of comments annoy me.

It mat not be optimal, but it is pretty good.

Only 5 years ago when IOFFL was formed, BB didn't even exist in Ireland, now we are complaining because we are getting 3m/300k for €45 per month!!!
    I suppose it shows how far we have come.

3m / 300k is 10:1, while it isn't ideal, it is much better then Eircoms 2m / 128k which is 20:1.

And remember we are getting the same speeds as the UK for less, only 4 months after the UK, only a year ago we where about 2 years behind the UK in terms of BB.

Product Irish Price UK Price
    1m ...... €25 ....... €26.48
    2m ...... €35 ....... €36.79
    3m ...... €45 ....... €56

bk wrote:

Sorry! :)

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    3m / 300k is 10:1, while it isn't ideal, it is much better then Eircoms 2m / 128k which is 20:1.
    2048:128k is 16:1
    I do take your point though - we've come far in a short time and it could be, and was, worse.
    But, the customer is always right.

If I buy a product and it's 90% ok - you can be sure I'll spend 90% of my time talking about the 10% that isn't ok.
    Fair enough there's no way they can make products to keep 100% of customers happy 100% of the time.
    But we're entitled to say "actually I'd prefer XYZ, and I don' t like ABC"
    That's what I do on boards and when I talk with ntl - it's customer feedback and tbh they're quite happy to get it.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

bk wrote:

It mat not be optimal, but it is pretty good.

Only 5 years ago when IOFFL was formed, BB didn't even exist in Ireland, now we are complaining because we are getting 3m/300k for €45 per month!!!
    I suppose it shows how far we have come.

And remember we are getting the same speeds as the UK for less, only 4 months after the UK, only a year ago we where about 2 years behind the UK in terms of BB.

Product Irish Price UK Price
    1m ...... €25 ....... €26.48
    2m ...... €35 ....... €36.79
    3m ...... €45 ....... €56

and a bigger/less restrictive cap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'd be interested to see how this compares to the average broadband package in Europe. I think the majority of comparisons have focused on download speeds and the price. The upload is often overlooked. Maybe if someone could even put together a few packages from the UK from BT, Tiscali and whomever else provides broadband in the UK and see how they compare?

Edit: Just took a look myself at the different packages available in the UK and Jesus, it's not as easy as it sounds finding out the upload speed of their packages. Surely it's something that should be very freely available? I had to get most of the upload speeds off here.

Anyway, it looks like the UK is getting pretty much the same as us here. I haven't included the NTL:UK broadband packages as I have just assumed they are the same also it isn't immediately apparent where the NTL broadband information is on the UK site.

BT Yahoo Broadband
    2 Mbps / 256 Kbps
    30Gb Allowance
    €41 per month
    Site: Linked Due to exceptionally long URL

Tiscali
    2 Mbps / 256 Kbps
    15Gb Allowance
    €29.50 per month
    Site: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/nm/website/rabroadband/bundlex40.html

UK Online
    8 Mbps / 400 Kbps
    €44 per month
    500Gb Allowance
    Site: http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/

Wanadoo
    1 Mbps / 256 Kbps
    €41 per month
    30Gb Allowance
    Site: http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/bb_option3.htm

Virgin.Net
    512k / 256 Kbps
    €37 per month
    No allowance apparently, but subject to a Fair Usage policy
    Site: http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/broadband/index.html?buspart=134

Sorry I didn't mean to bash anyones opinion. I actually agree, I would love to see a higher upload speed. I just think that calling the best product on the market, that equals the best in the UK and is €11 cheaper then the UK, "pathetic", is a little strong.

I think we can all agree that we are delighted to see these new products and that those of us who can will probably be getting it.

I think the reason why we are a little disappointed, is because it is so near to being the perfect BB product, that the disappointment is stronger as it falls just short.

But lets stop and congratulate NTL for yet again pushing out the boundarys of the Irish BB market, but lets also remind them that they can do better.

Serbian wrote:
    I'd be interested to see how this compares to the average broadband package in Europe. I think the majority of comparisons have focused on download speeds and the price. The upload is often overlooked. Maybe if someone could even put together a few packages from the UK from BT, Tiscali and whomever else provides broadband in the UK and see how they compare?

All of BT's products (and all the BT resellers) are 256k up.

NTL is the same as Ireland now.

Telewest (the other cable provider) is :
    1024/128, 2048/256, 4096/384

Even the LLU operators like Bulldog and Plusnet only offer 256k up on everything but their most expensive business products.

See here for details:
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp

Mainland Europe seems to be a bit better, here are some examples from chello (Chorus and NTL's new owners) in different countries across Europe (sweet):

http://home.fra.chello.fr/upcmnfc/start/abonnements/
    http://www.chello.cz/upcmnfc/start/slu_by_chello/
    http://home.nld.chello.nl/upcmnfc/start/abonnementen/
    http://home.sve.chello.se/upcmnfc/start/abonnemang/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Typical package in Sweden is ADSL2+ 24Mbit down 1Mbit up, €50pm. Clearly those Chello (UPC) guys have countered with a cable version of that. I would be quite happy with a similar package here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

Slightly off topic, but NTL in the Uk have been informing customers of slight price increases on phone and TV packages, broadband reamins unafected, but the changes are due to come in to effect on....... June 1st!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Sorry if its been discussed guys but the search terms 'ntl' and 'cap' are too small :) but is there a charge for going over the cap on NTL?
    If so what is it?
    And is it strictly enforced?
    Thanks
    M

mathie wrote:
    Sorry if its been discussed guys but the search terms 'ntl' and 'cap' are too small :) but is there a charge for going over the cap on NTL?
    If so what is it?
    And is it strictly enforced?
    Thanks
    M

No, people who regularly go over the cap have recently received letters from NTL asking them to curtail there usage for the benefit of everyone, but nothing further then this has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CaptainSparrow

Once they have the ability to allow NTL BB customers to check the download usage online they will start to enforce it but they have no idea when this will be.

Will they charge for going over or will they throttle your connection is still not known

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

So this NTL internet availablility in Waterford - is it just the usual branded Eircom DSL or is it real cable internet?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jmcc wrote:
    So this NTL internet availablility in Waterford - is it just the usual branded Eircom DSL or is it real cable internet?

Regards...jmcc
    It's NTL's cable offering Afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

lol, now that would be a big step in the wrong direction :-) reselling RADSL over Cable heheh
    RADoC :-)
    yeah, its their cable internet 100%.

seamus wrote:
    It's NTL's cable offering Afaik.
    Heh - if so, they took their bloody time about it. :) I actually covered/wrote about the launch of their cable internet product in 1998. You can see why I am a little bit cynical about NTL rolling out anything outside of Dublin.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Heh - if so, they took their bloody time about it. :) I actually covered/wrote about the launch of their cable internet product in 1998. You can see why I am a little bit cynical about NTL rolling out anything outside of Dublin.

Regards...jmcc

Another thread mentions that they have started to take orders in parts of Galway, so it looks like NTL is starting to get it's act together.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    Another thread mentions that they have started to take orders in parts of Galway, so it looks like NTL is starting to get it's act together.
    Yeah but Galway is an irrelevance here in Waterford. Is this more smoke and mirrors from NTL?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Yeah but Galway is an irrelevance here in Waterford. Is this more smoke and mirrors from NTL?

I haven't heard anything about Waterford, only Galway. I wouldn't hold your breath, NTL doesn't seem to tell you that BB will be available in your area until they actually post the announcement to everyone in the area.

Two months ago I rang NTL to ask if I could get cable BB, they said no and they didn't know when it would be rolled out. A month later I got a letter telling me that it was available in my area, two weeks later it was installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

Official word today:

Ntl Ireland raises broadband speeds
    Tuesday, April 26 12:14:21

(BizWorld)

Ntl Ireland today said it had substantially increased broadband speeds on all of its product tiers.

The company has enabled over 100,000 homes on its network in Dublin for broadband and now has approximately 11,000 broadband customers.
    All of ntl's Broadband cable modem product tiers will increase speeds by over 100pc, at no extra cost to consumers from 1st June 2005. These enhancements will increase the current Broadband Internet connection speeds with the previous 300k rising to 1MB and the previous 1.5MB rising to 3MB.

Rock agus roll!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Weren't NTL supposed to announce something in Waterford today?
    Anyone know anything?

Cabaal wrote:
    Weren't NTL supposed to announce something in Waterford today?
    Anyone know anything?
    Just got off the phone from NTL. Waterford has really only gone online (ntl wise) in the last few days or so. They are moving towards a blanket coverage of the area. Areas near the NTL operation are the first up apparently. Mailshots will announce availability of access in various areas. Eircom is now officially screwed if they don't get their act together in the Dunmore Road area (and of course this depends on NTL getting operation here).

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd have to agree that Eircom could be in trouble big time in Waterford city, it'll be far easier for somebody to get net access over NTL then get a phone line installed etc etc

Ain't competition great! :D
    It should be fun to see how things pan out as NTL roll out their service

[EDIT] jmcc, nice to see your bring back the hackwatch site ;)

Cabaal wrote:

only if the competitors are "working" for you ;)

nice to see that ntl is expanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

:D

You can check your NTL modem status to see if you have been upgraded here
    Your NTL Modem

anyone know the default username and password?

admin
    admin

or

root
    root

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Cabaal wrote:
    I'd have to agree that Eircom could be in trouble big time in Waterford city, it'll be far easier for somebody to get net access over NTL then get a phone line installed etc etc

[EDIT] jmcc, nice to see your bring back the hackwatch site ;)

It will be interesting.....in particular given that the network in Waterford and Galway is far more up to date than that in Dublin, as previously posted a few times....

Advertisement