Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL have upgraded speed on Irish Website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Downloads speeds and and price for ntl Broadband Max effective from June 1st 2005 - from ntl site.

only for max? I wonder does that mean the non-max users will get upgraded earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

From the ntl website
    ntl wrote:
    ntl Broadband Max €45.00*
    <snip>
    *Downloads speeds and and price for ntl Broadband Max effective from June 1st 2005
    It only refers to Max because Max is the only one with a price change i.e. was €50 odd, from June 1st 2005 will be €45

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

NTL Ireland said that it is increasing speeds on all tiers of its broadband service by more than 100 percent, and said it will not charge customers extra for the speed increase. The company's entry level broadband service will rise from 300kbps to 1Mb, its 750kbps service will increase to 2Mb, and its 1.5Mb service will increase to 3Mb from 1 June. The three services will cost EUR25, EUR35 and EUR45 respectively. NTL has enabled broadband for around 100,000 homes in the Dublin area and claims to have approximately 11,000 customers.

June 1st, a bit of a wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

June 1st, a bit of a wait....
    ENN is only recycling the NTL press release. They don't do real journalism. :) I think that there is going to be a big battle now between NTL and Eircom. Before now, there was no real competition and some areas just could not get DSL. Eircom is probably going to automagically find that lines that were previously failed appear ok and trigger levels disappear in areas where NTL go active. NTL is a different type of competitor for Eircom - it has its own last mile infrastructure.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That's true. They are one of the few companies that can actually tell Eircom to fob off completely as they have no need for them. Thank god I soon have 3MB/s! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm just getting "page cannot be displayed" when trying to acess that http://192.168.100.1/ page !!!

I've never used it, didn't even know I could.

Does anyone know what the problem is ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

K-TRIC wrote:
    I'm just getting "page cannot be displayed" when trying to acess that http://192.168.100.1/ page !!!

I've never used it, didn't even know I could.

Does anyone know what the problem is ??
    Do you have a Proxy server configured? Try removing it if you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I get that all the time.
    Try a cold-reboot of the modem (if you dare ;)) and then try connecting immediately.

Do you have a Proxy server configured? Try removing it if you have.
    `

No, no proxy settings

I got in, but it all looks a bit boring !!!. probably shouldn't have bothered

• Advertisement

^^^^ "Life, don't talk to me about life" :D

HAL a nice day :)

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SteM

Is there any chance that an upgrade has taken place already? I was setting a download off this morning before I left for work, I checked DU Meter and was getting more than twice the speed I normally get. I had to run for work so didn't get a chance to do any tests, has anyone else noticed a jump in DL speed at all?

Maybe it was just a very active torrent!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

SteM wrote:
    Is there any chance that an upgrade has taken place already? I was setting a download off this morning before I left for work, I checked DU Meter and was getting more than twice the speed I normally get. I had to run for work so didn't get a chance to do any tests, has anyone else noticed a jump in DL speed at all?

Maybe it was just a very active torrent!?

what speed were you getting?
    Can anyone else check this?

I'm on the 750kbps package. Normally when I'm downloading from an FTP server I get between 800kbps and 900kbps.

This morning the torrent was downloading at over 1.5mbps. It was like that for a few minutes (with me staring in amazement) but then I had to head off to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SteM wrote:
    I'm on the 750kbps package. Normally when I'm downloading from an FTP server I get between 800kbps and 900kbps.

This morning the torrent was downloading at over 1.5mbps. It was like that for a few minutes (with me staring in amazement) but then I had to head off to work.
    I though it was just me :)

Got the same thing last night.

Seamus, what package are you on?
    Anyone on 1.5MB package downloading at 3MB today? :)

seamus wrote:
    I though it was just me :)

Got the same thing last night.

Cool, maybe they've moved 750kbps users up to the 1.5mbps package ahead of a full upgrade?

NO. I'll be on the 3MB package myself but they've said the speeds wont happen till june 1st.

From NTL website "*Downloads speeds and and price for ntl Broadband Max effective from June 1st 2005"
    Could it be that they've upgraded 750/1MB to 1.5MB/2MB now, but Max customers won't be upgraded until June 1st? If that's the case can we "downgrade" to 2MB for a month and save €15??

Just reading NTL's new user policy. It still states that "Normal Use" is up to 1GB downstream per day. Surely this doesn't apply to Max with a 40GB per month cap.

• Advertisement

Of course it wouldn't. If it were it'd be contradicting their own offer.

Infini wrote:
    Of course it wouldn't. If it were it'd be contradicting their own offer.

That's why I mentioned it, but it is a general user policy and makes no mention of any exception for BB Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Its a mistake, and a stupid one at that, the fools havent had the sense to update it ( false advertising in any other case ), cause at 1GB per day, that is a theoretical max of 31GB in any month, which can never equal the advertised 40GB :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

JNive wrote:
    Its a mistake, and a stupid one at that, the fools havent had the sense to update it ( false advertising in any other case ), cause at 1GB per day, that is a theoretical max of 31GB in any month, which can never equal the advertised 40GB :-)

They will change it at June 1st (the date the service comes into effect).

As it stands today, their figures are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yeah, no wonder they are waiting till june, they know how slow the workers are at updating documents lol. Odd though why they are waiting until then, probably to give them time to see if others try to out-do them befire they actually go to the bother of the upgrade, and then finding out a) no need to upgrade as quick b) need to upgrade again lol

Going back to SteM's post about higher speeds today, how about people posting a quick speedtest along with what package they're on. I'm intrigued to find out if NTL has upgraded the lower packages early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

looking at the operation configuration page at http://192.168.100.1 is the best way to tell if you've been upgraded

carrotcake wrote:
    looking at the operation configuration page at http://192.168.100.1 is the best way to tell if you've been upgraded
    never managed to access it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

failing that, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html is the best online test for ntl users :)

• Advertisement

Meh, just did a power cycle on the modem and it's still 750/128 for me.

causal

Advertisement