Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network newb help!!

Options
  • 25-04-2005 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hopefully this is simple one. I gotta server (2000) and 4 workstations (98se) and want to share the Eircom broadband connection currently on one of the workstations throughout the whole network. Now, do i need to install additional network cards in all the pc's or is there a much simpler way of doing this. I have a Belkin 4 port router but haven't worked out if i need this or how to utilise it. Please advise or point me in a dummies guide direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

1st quesiton - how does the existing workstation connect to broadband -USB or Ethernet?

2nd question - who is your broadband provider and how is it provided - Wireless connections generally dont require adsl modems - wired connections do.

Wired - Get a DSL router with firewall if possibe, and a bigger switch (more than 4 port) - plug the router into the switch and plug the workstations and server into the switch. Of course you need to configure the router dsl adaptor with the correct IP addresses etc.

Wireless - if you say you have a router - wireless can be plugged directly into the router. The router would need to be configured with the correct IP addresses etc.

Tell us more about your network!

PAddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

This is quite easy to do.

Paddy's right - you'll need a hub/switch with a port for each machine (5) + the router (1).

Plug them all into the hub/switch. (be careful of the possible uplink port, might bite ya)

Set all your network cards to use DHCP - the router will then dynamically assign each an IP address. And you're away. No matter what, you only need one NIC per machine - don't go getting any more.

You now have a nice little home/office network for file sharing, printer sharing, gaming etc.

One this you might want to do is put your ISP's DNS ip addresses in your network connections. I did this recently and it 'seems' to have made things a little quicker to resolve addresses.

You can test this of course with the hub/switch you have, but with fewer PC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

Wouldn't ICS be a handier way to share the internet connection?
    I think it's available on 98se.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

youd need 2 nics per machine for ics,
    ie one in, one out,

al machines would need to be on all the time,

a little switch is much handier,
    modem to switch - switch to pcs

Chalk wrote:
    ie one in, one out,

No you don't!

• Advertisement

how would the conection get from one pc to the next?
    magic!

broadband to pc 1 = 1 nic for 1
    pc1 to pc2 = 1 nic for pc 1 + 1 for pc2
    pc2 to pc3 = 1 nic for pc2 and 1 for pc3

and so on,
    the one at then of the daisy chain would only need one.
    unless you have another way of linking 2 pcs for ics?

either that or get 4 nics for pc1,
    in which case pc1 is now your (very expensive) router

You know nothing about networking PC's Chalk and I don't think you should be giving anyone advice, to be honest. If the OP was to listen to you he'd end up spending money needlessly on NIC's. He's acknowledged he doesn't know and asked for help - what you're telling him is bullsh1t!!

OP, DO NOT take Chalk's advice on this - it's rubbish!

how do you share an internet connection with ics then?

cmon youve publicly insulted me,
    at least have the deceny to enlighten me

Read Paddyo's and my first posts. This is B for basic networking!!

i know what you said ffs.
    you said nothing regarding ics.

do you know what ics in windows is?

i was advising against using it,
    and suggesting he go with what you said in the first place.

please reread the thread and have a think about why your saying that me agreeing with you is rubbish.

• Advertisement

Listen, accept the fact you know little or nothing about networking and pleae don't offer advice if you not 100% sure of what you're saying. Someone actually might think you know a thing or two, take your advice and spen money they don;t need to spend.

Do you use a PC at work? Have you internet access? File and print sharing? How many network cards are in that, and everyother machine?

Internet Connection Sharing is not an viable option here. The OP has BB; a modem/router with an ethernet port. Each of his machines have a NIC. For anyone with an ounce of networking, it's a no-brainer - not magic as you might suggest! Think about what you're saying - it's nonsense.

ok

[deleted]

Chalk wrote:
    ie one in, one out,

Nonsense! Absolute rubbish!! jjmax suggested a plausable solution regarding ICS; it just doesn't apply here.
    Chalk wrote:
    ...seriuosly your suggesting i know nothing about networking when you seem to have little knowledge grasp of the english lanuguage.

Read that sentence back to yourself.

seems ive made an error.

i didnt see that the op already had a 4 port belkin,
    my mistake.

thats what i get for repyling to a thread after 4 beers and im just heading out.

i stand by what i was saying,
    but in light of the op having the belkin already it actually makes no sense.

That's fair enough.

A piece of advice, if you'll accept it, and there's another thread around here somewhere that touches on it. There are very. very, very few situation that require a machine to have more than 1 NIC. High-end servers for load-balancing, dedicated backup LANS - those type of situations. One NIC in a machine is all the vast, vast majority of home network users is going to need.

Shake?

indeed,

ive sent you a pm
    SwampThing wrote:
    That's fair enough.

A piece of advice, if you'll accept it, and there's another thread around here somewhere that touches on it. There are very. very, very few situation that require a machine to have more than 1 NIC. High-end servers for load-balancing, dedicated backup LANS - those type of situations. One NIC in a machine is all the vast, vast majority of home network users is going to need.

Shake?

im not that bad ;)

Advertisement