Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to get Broadband from?

• 25-04-2005 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to change my phone number
    I would be light user of it, just need the phone line free when I'm on it.
    I want the cheapest with nothing fancy.
    Who do I go for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT broadband. €39.99 a month, or €49.99 including line rental. The second probably works out cheapest overall. No phone number change required for either option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If it is available in your area then NTL BB:

1mb download 100k upload 16GB cap €25 per month and it has zero effect on your phone line.

If you can't get NTL, then UTV:

1mb/128k 8GB cap €30 per month. However your calls would then be with UTV (same phone nubmer), however on the upside it includes free local, national and UK calls in the evening and weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

The €49.99 option is cheaper if you take line rental into consideration.

€49.99 => 1mbit/128k 12GB CAP + Line Rental(BT)
    €54.XX => 1mbit/128k 8GB CAP + Line Rental(UTV)

Plus if you decide to go a little mad BT has a higher CAP and wont casterate you to the same extent if you download over the CAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Looks like you get €30 off per year if you go for online billing with IOL as well. There's no minimum contract period with IOL, which I would value quite a bit. And most UTV users seem to hate UTV...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not that I'm particularly mad about UTV as a company, however if you take into account line rental UTV could still be cheaper.

UTV offers first 4 months free, BT do not.

Also UTV include the free local, national and UK calls during off peak time.

So :
    BT + line rental = €50
    UTV + line Rental = €55

You need to decide if you make at least €5 worth of local, national and UK calls off peak.

Also take into account that when you have free calls, you tend to use the phone a great deal more, I often make an effort to call friends and family by landline now, where before I would have use my mobile, thus saving even more money.

Personally I have NTL BB Max (currently 1.5mb going up to 3mb shortly) for BB and I have UTV Talk for phone calls.

• Advertisement

Actually I just ran the numbers for the total cost over the first 12 months:

BT
    50 x 12 = 600
    600 + 40 install = 640 (if you order online, €90 otherwise).
    640 - 30 = €610 (minus €30 if you take online billing)

UTV
    30 x 8 = 240 (you get first 4 months free)
    240 + 90 install = 330

24 x 12 = 288 (for line rental)
    UTV Total = 330 + 288 = €618

So BT is €610 for the first year versus €618 UTV

For the extra €8 you get free local, national and UK calls, that is very good value.

BT gives you a bigger cap. So really it depends on what you use.

Advertisement