Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief and Capital gains tax

Options
  • 25-04-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how tax relief works?
    I have a house with my sister and my sister has just bought a house with her boyfriend.

She is about to transfer the tax relief over to her new house.

Does that mean that half the tax relief goes with her? Or is it more complex than that?

Also does she now have to sign the house over to me as I would be living there full time. I basically want to be sure I avoid capital gains tax. What do I need to avoid CGT?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Go here and ask them. They are actually helpful
    http://www.revenue.ie/
    Basically as far as I know tax relief for investors was re-instated which means she doesn't need to transfer it she just gets more. I'm sure she is paying tax on any rental income of course :D. If not don't apply for relief on that house but I think people should pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the house an inheritance or did you buy together. What do the title documents say?

CGT would only apply if the house is sold.

Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) would apply if she gave you her part of the house.

Mortgage Interest Relief applies only when you are living in the property and paying the mortgage. If she moves out and rents out her part, she effectively becomes an investor (if you bought in the last 5 years this may have Stamp Duty implications). She would have to pay tax on the rent on her half, but could write off the interest as an expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Victor wrote:
    Is the house an inheritance or did you buy together. What do the title documents say?

We bought the house togther so I'm guessing the title documents would state this.

Would that make a difference?

Thanks
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Go here and ask them. They are actually helpful
    http://www.revenue.ie/
    Basically as far as I know tax relief for investors was re-instated which means she doesn't need to transfer it she just gets more. I'm sure she is paying tax on any rental income of course :D. If not don't apply for relief on that house but I think people should pay tax.

Thanks MorningStar I'll get on to them!
    Cheers
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mathie wrote:
    We bought the house togther so I'm guessing the title documents would state this.

Ideally it would have been set up with this in mind - with all the obligations to each other set out from the start.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173124

• Advertisement
Advertisement